Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deion to Oakland

Ignatius J.

We'd get a draft pick from oakland right? I mean we have the rights to him, and there is no reason for us to be nice to him. So what would we get? Oakland's a playoff team so they pick late, so I'm thinking 2nd rounder? That sure would be nice. Go Deion!

-DB

(Just saw the post below, sorry for the repeat...)

Originally posted by Storm

according to WTEM we get cap relief if Deion signs with the raiders.

no mention of draft picks.

I do believe that Deion counts for a little over $6 million in bonus money after subtracting his 1st year proration and the small portion he gave back to the team. That'd be a TON of relief to have entering free agency. Stephen Davis could be kept (but I'd rather send him on his way). Champ could be signed to an extension that contains a very large first year salary in exchange for a smaller signing bonus (e.g., $4 million base and $8 million SB). Tremendous possibilities if this happens.

I do believe that Deion counts for a little over $6 million in bonus money after subtracting his 1st year proration and the small portion he gave back to the team. That'd be a TON of relief to have entering free agency. Stephen Davis could be kept (but I'd rather send him on his way). Champ could be signed to an extension that contains a very large first year salary in exchange for a smaller signing bonus (e.g., $4 million base and $8 million SB). Tremendous possibilities if this happens.

Not really because we're paying Deion the rest of his money this year. With 15 of 16 weeks over, he will pay us back one weeks worth of pay.

However we hold his rights so apparently he cant come back without our okay. so we may get money back but it may not result in cap relief because his cap number applies to this year only and the year is almost over.

Originally posted by Storm

Not really because we're paying Deion the rest of his money this year. With 15 of 16 weeks over, he will pay us back one weeks worth of pay.

However we hold his rights so apparently he cant come back without our okay. so we may get money back but it may not result in cap relief because his cap number applies to this year only and the year is almost over.

What I'm talking about is forcing Deion to return MORE of his signing bonus money in exchange for letting him unretire. But I would go for this only if the league would give us a rebate against next year's cap. If we don't get picks or cap relief in 2003, then Deion can rot where he is.

Just some scenarios going through my head. Don't really want to give Deion (or his shyster lawyer) and ideas, but I'd bet his shyster lawyer's already thought about this:

Deion's under contract to the Skins. Based on that clause from the CBA, he's even still got six years left. (The "clock" stopped when he chickened out of Camp Marty, and doesn't start again 'till he starts playing football again).

As to the cap hit being off the books, that only refers to the cap damage done by his monsterous bonus, (the part that he'd been paid, but adn't counted against the cap yet), and I think all of it was counted under Marty. (Deion quit before June 1st, so the entire bonus counted the next year, which was '01). But, how the bonus counts against the cap doesn't affect his contract at all: Five years from now, he'll still be under contract.

(Of course, all this assumes some settlement wasn't reached when Deion "retired". Any kind of settlement could have been worked out at that time. The settlement may say he's a free agent after one year. Somehow I doubt the Skins would've given him that kind of consession, but I don't know.)

Now, the bad news: Since he's under contract to the Skins, all he has to do is announce that he's un-retired, and the Skins must either

• Find enough cap room (and a roster spot) for him to come back, (at whatever salary he was scheduled to make in '01), or:
  • Cut him (at which time, he's free to go wherever he wants).

Now, of course, I assume that Danny knows some shyster lawyers, too. I think my (absolutely unqualified) suggestion, if Deion announces his un-retirement, would be: Announce that we're thinking about it until after Dallas, at which time we can then "activate" Deion at no cost (since salary is paid per-game, and the last game for the Skins would be over).

Larry,

I agree with your analysis, but it would not be much a a "Cap Hit" if he "un-retires" after the Dallas game. His second year salary was low if my memory suits me correctly. His bonus has been amortised early. Therefore we could probably find the room for him. Then we'd have negotiating rights with ANY team that may wish to trade for SlimeTime. We may be in the cat-bird seat. Oakland may be the best shoice with all of TAmpa's picks, but who knows...maybe Jerrah will give up the farm for him again...just kidding.

HTTR,

why not let Deion come back with the Raiders? :)

Deion was washed up halfway through 2000. He got a hamstring injury playing corner and hurt his groin after limited duty as a punt returner, and that was at age 34.

You think at age 35 or 36 that Deion is going to be doing much?

Somebody on the Broncos/Raiders telecast mentioned that Deion could probably come back as Rod Woodson and Darrell Green both made the pro bowl at 36 :laugh:

What a joke :D

Woodson and Green stayed in shape and were healthy.

Deion has not been right physically since 1999.

Everyone knows that. Deion knows that.

Does he want to win a ring? Sure. Does he want the pub? Sure.

Does he want to work hard for it? That I don't know.

And you add that with the physical questions and I don't think much will come of his presence one way or another.

Wait a minute. It's after the trading deadline. I think the observation uptopic is correct -- the technical choice is play him or cut him.

If the Skins were to say "we'll play you," then all that Deion has to do is stay retired. If they cut him, Deion can choose to stay retired for any team except the Raiders. The question is what sort of informal arrangement has to be worked out to make this happen, but because of the deadline I'm pretty dubious that draft picks can be part of it. Probably would just be a question of cap relief.

you mean there couldn't be a secret agreement in place between the teams to say trade Zeron Flemister to the Raiders in the offseason for a #3 pick? :laugh: :D

yeah, better forget about that...........Al Davis is far too conservative and far too moral to make a deal under the table :)

Umm, did the Raiders even bother to watch his horrible play in his final year for the SKins? He was getting thrown all over as opposing QBs were scared to death of Bailey. Deion with a 5 day workout after 2 non-playing years, ready to play in the playoffs!?! Deion said he left on his own terms, bwahaha, all year he was with us, all he did was make excuses as to why he wasn't as good anymore, and he had all offseason and camp to get into tip top shape. If the Raiders actually sign him, I will get a good laugh. Deion, "I can still cover, everyone knows that, suit me up right now and I can cover, I left on my own terms" bwahahaha, what a fu*king joke.....

Deion played well for us. Not great, but well. Not as good as Smoot, but well.

No matter though. I don't know precisely what was worked out here. It's possible we worked out that Deion couldn't play for another team for two years and after next week, two years is over. It's possible we hold his rights. I don't know what will happen, but it'll be interesting.

I salute the Raiders for taking a load of Snyder's back.

But if I were a Raider's fan, I'd be pissed of as hell. This is a stupid move. Sanders won't contribute at all, and he'll come at a price.

If you just want bodies in the secondary, this isn't the guy to sign.

Talk about shooting your load in one year. The Raiders will be decimated this offseason.

Archived