Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

campbell's preseason

portis426

I was just wondering how much do you think that j. Campbell should play in his first preseason because he could use some more in game experience but we dont want a repeat of last year like portis. i was just wondering about that.

I was just wondering how much do you think that j. Campbell should play in his first preseason because he could use some more in game experience but we dont want a repeat of last year like portis. i was just wondering about that.

He should play the first quarter of the first game, the first quarter and half of the second quarter in the second, the entire first half in the third, and a series or two in the third game.

Well, he's the starting QB. He'll get about as much as most other starting QB's do. I don't think he's in any danger of suffering a Portis repeat- that was a total freak thing in the first place, and it happened off a bad Brunell interception. I don't see Campbell throwing a dumb pick like that, and then running down and spearing the defender afterwards.

I think he should play the first quarter of each game, then split the rest of the quarters between our 3 young guns. We already know what Brunell and Collins can and can't do (and they are too old and fragile to take too many snaps). And Brunell needs to be healthy if he is going to be our #2.

I think he should play as much as anyone else (starting) and then let Brunell and Palmer/Hollenbach in to finish up. The more time he gets with the starting receivers the better but I dont think its too important for him to be on the field with the backups.

Last year's pre-season the team played without any intensity or focus. They looked terrible. I (and a lot of others, including coaches) said don't worry, the Redskins just don't want to show anything, wait until the season starts. Well, when the season started we played terrible.

So, I expect Joe Gibbs to have the team to play with intensity and focus in pre-season games this year. With that in mind, I think that while Jason may be expected to play one quarter in the first pre-season game, if the offense doesn't move the ball then I would not be suprised if Joe Gibbs keeps the starting offense in for some 2nd quarter work.

In short, I think that Joe Gibbs will want to work Jason (and the rest of the starters) enough for him to feel that the offense is sharp and is ready to compete.

I don't want to see him play too much, maybe a couple of series a game but not much more than 1 quarter for each. However, if his timing with the receivers is off when he's facing a real opposing defense, he might need to play a little bit more.

I am interested in seeing Palmer, Hollenbach and Bramlett (can he even play?) compete for the 3rd stringer/future backup job.

I would rather not see Brunell even take a single snap. Its too painful watching him play and his weak throws put the other players at risk (portis' injury ring a bell?). Collins won't be with the team by then.

I would rather not see Brunell even take a single snap. Its too painful watching him play and his weak throws put the other players at risk (portis' injury ring a bell?). Collins won't be with the team by then.

Because letting the QB's who have no expierence play is exactly what we need.

When Brunell's arm is good, he is good, just as Jason Campbell. If his arm gets hurt like Brunell, I'd like to see him throw some 50+ yarders like you all think Brunell should have done.

Just enough to get him in game condition, but not so much that we give away our game plan.

He should play the first quarter of the first game, the first quarter and half of the second quarter in the second, the entire first half in the third, and a series or two in the third game.

I agree with this assesment.

IMHO, he needs to play the first half of the first 3 pre-season games. He needs live bodies trying to make a team flying at him.

He's still pretty much a rookie when you think about actual in-game experience, so I'd like to see him play at least the 1st half of each game.

I never liked this thing of not playing guys because of risk of injury, because if they could use some experience in order to develop, than damn it, you give the guy the chance to develop.

Guys with less than a year of on-field experience should play around half the game especially when the guy is going to be your starter.

His pre season was 7 games at the tail end of last season. He needs to be wrapped in cotton wool now for the upcoming season.

We know that Brunnel can manage agame so let Bramlet and palmer fight for that 3rd/practice spot.

I still disagree. If he had played an entire season I'd be saying the same thing, but he just doesn't have enough experience yet. Not only has he only played 7 games, but by the time preseason starts those games will have been a while back. After the poor season Brandon Lloyd had last year, I'd like to see him get significant playing time as well and that way Campbell and him can develop a better connection with each other.

Archived