Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are the skins twice as good? (realist only)

BMahoney

Just kidding about the title, I actually prefer people who disagree with me and offer their arguments. Well here it goes as many of you have probably read the article in the examiner today, are the skins twice as good as last season because that is what would be required of us to make the playoffs. IMO no they are not even close to twice as good as last season, the only problem we have really taken care of is the secondary. Which probably didn't even need that much help it just appeared that way because the quarter back had a few years to throw the ball while standing in the pocket, and we all saw how much room they had to step up since we get virtually no push up the middle. As far as qb situation goes, I would love and I pray every night that JC is the real deal, but he is yet to be proven, he showed some signs last season of greatness but he was also terribly inaccurate. We don't know how cp will be able to play when he gets back, and betts has a case of the fumbles on big downs. Our wr core is probably the worst in the nfl, the only upside to our passing game is moss when hes not hurt and cooley. Our real problem this offseason was d lineman and it was not taken care of, I just really hope we don't see the same thing as last year and watch all of our great talent in the secondary go to waste because no one can cover a receiver for that long. I think we have the capability of going 10-6, whether or not our players will do it is yet to be seen. I guess what I want from this post is an optimist very opposite of myself to give me a few facts or opinions on why we will do good next season, and JC doing good in OTA's doesn't count.

why even write that, I dont think cares when you stopped reading.. if you have an opinion write about it. Or maybe you could have given me some numbers to show other receiving cores or worst, or you maybe could have realized that it was clearly a slight exaggeration.

Why because youve heard the names Randle El and Lloyd over the iggles receivers, because i really hope your not saying we have a better receiving core then dallas or the g-men if so this argument is over, your just dumb. And if you would please show me a few numbers that prove otherwise.

Ok first off our wr corps is not that bad. With JC having the ability to spread the field it will actually make them better because they will be able to use their speed more.

If you are concerned about CP you shouldn't be for two reasons. He has always been a quick healer and we have a capable back up in Ladell Betts (whereas last year he was unproven) so if CP needs a week off we have LB to step in.

Anyone who is that concerned with the dl does not pay that much attention to the redskins d. Our d thrives on assignments and men being where they're supposed to be. There are many stunts along the d line in order to send the blitz (using the speed of marcus and rocky) with a very smart mlb in fletcher to orchestrate the blitzes on the field. This is where a good secondary comes in, including smoot to excel in man coverage so we are ok sending 6 or 7 towards the qb.

Why because youve heard the names Randle El and Lloyd over the iggles receivers, because i really hope your not saying we have a better receiving core then dallas or the g-men if so this argument is over, your just dumb. And if you would please show me a few numbers that prove otherwise.

Phi receiving corps is worse than ours as well. :eaglesuck

Moss > Curtis

Lloyd < Brown

Randle El > Lewis/Baskett

That looks like Skins WR are better

who cares if we are twice as good, NY, Philly, and Dallas are twice as bad as they were last season so that should even it out.

we've improved, NY lost what 90% of its offense; Philly is hoping a professional skier can play wide receiver (actually i like that kid but come on); and Dallas' dream qb ain't one. 9-7 wins the nfc east this year boys.

Haha, well as of last season which is what Im going by since thats when we got our new receiving core, phi is better. For your other thread thank you, you instilled a little hope with me about our rb's, as far as dl goes if they are all suppose to be doing their assignments, how did they do it so well 05 and then just lose it in 06. Seems like it has to be something a little bit more complicated then that, but I really dont know squat about being a d lineman so its a good possibility im completely wrong, just doesn't seem logical. Thank you 06skins your post is exactly what I was hoping for.

I guess what I want from this post is an optimist very opposite of myself to give me a few facts or opinions on why we will do good next season, and JC doing good in OTA's doesn't count.

Okay BMahoney, here's what I'm hoping for.

This will be Gibbs fourth year and second with Saunders. By the accounts of Saunders' former players, it takes one year to understand his offense. I think we'll see an offense similar to what we saw in KC. With this offense, the QB doesn't have to be great, just solid (ala Trent Green). So JC doesn't have to be great for us to succeed. And the KC WRs were always productive, but not spectacular. Our running should be fine with two good RBs and a strong OL.

On defense, many will argue that we still have problems because we didn't address our DL. IF healthy though, our DL should be fine and the Redskins clearly don't have an issue with them. We upgraded at LB, Safety, and DBs. Our defense should be improved.

It looks like we have a decent kicker in Suisham that hopefully will stay healthy. Frost actually performed well last year, so our special teams should at least not get worse.

Also, we seemed to be a lot smarter this offseason with our signings.

But Gibbs is our main weapon. Here's hoping last year was an abberation created by injuries and just poor decisions and this year we'll pick up from our 10 - 6 season a year ago.:cheers:

Hail,

H

Well if you look at our secondary in 06 mike rumph and ade jimoh aren't that good of cb's therefore GW couldn't send the lb as often as he could. And I stress again that the phi wr corps is not that good. it's the same story every year with them. They get a bunch of average possession wr and lull you to sleep with their 5-10 yard dump off passes.

You're welcome for the hope. Just do what i do and watch the games and look at the strategy employed by the coaching staff.

Whenever in doubt just click your heels 3x and say IN GIBBS I TRUST... IN GIBBS I TRUST... IN GIBBS I TRUST

i forget where i saw it posted, but it was somewhere on these boards...it said that our DLine in 06 had the same production (of sacks) as it did in 04 and 05, but our LB's and DB's did not have nearly as many sacks...i dunno if the info was true or which thread it was under, but i saw it on here.

Nobody knows how well any team will do this year in the NFL. Last year at this time we looked like we were sitting pretty coming off of two years with top 10 defenses, a playoff victory and only two starters lost, one who only started part of the year in 2005. Our D-line, particularly against the run was considered a strength, while our biggest worry was O-line depth.

Poof a few months down the road and quite a few injuries later we are stinking up the joint. The reasons we stunk are too many to count but a few of the major ones are (in no particular order)

1. Brunell reverted to 2004 form.

2. Clinton Portis never recovered from shoulder

3. Cornelius Griffin played injured most of the year and was a shadow of his former self. Big Joe played injured most of the year and was a shadow of his former self. Because of this Lemar Marshall's weaknesses as a MLB are exposed. In addition, with Griffin no longer being doubled opponents can concentrate their blocking elsewhere.

4. New offensive system took some time to implement.

5. Secondary in shambles because of injuries and lack of depth exacerbated by the Adam Archuleta debacle. Inability to man cover severely limited teams ability to blitz which had been main source of pass rush previous two seasons.

6. Warrick Holdman

7. Side judges, cameramen and ball boys in fear for their lives as Brunell threw bullet after bullet after bullet out of bounds on 3rd and 5 after going through his progressions from 1 to 1.

8. Marcus Washington hampered by various injuries limiting his playmaking ability.

9. Brandon Lloyd unable to consistently produce.

So the answer to your question is we can be better by improving in most of these areas.

1. Clipboard.

2. Portis & Betts combo.

3. Griffin healthy? Montgomery and Golston another year under their belts. London Fletcher on board.

4. 2nd year in system.

5. Springs back, Smoot, Macklin, Landry, Butler

6. Buh-bye Holdman, Hello Rocky.

7. Campbell another year under his belt

8. Washington healthy?

9. Lloyd another year in the system.

Nace, we cannot be counting on teams being worst, and I don't know about losing 90%... Im not positive but who other than petitgout and barber left the east.. As to those of you claiming or wo's are in fact better then the eagles im gonna go by a few stats here real quick:

Moss: 55 for 790 with an avg of 14.4

Brown: 46 for 816 with an avg of 17.7

Lloyd: 23 for 365 with an avg of 15.9

Baskett: 22 for 464 with an avg of 21.1

ARE: 32 for 351 with an avg of 11.0

Lewis: 24 for 348 with an avg of 14.5

I don't think you guys understand I hate it as much as you do, but numbers don't lie our receiving core is BAD

Nace, we cannot be counting on teams being worst, and I don't know about losing 90%... Im not positive but who other than petitgout and barber left the east.. As to those of you claiming or wo's are in fact better then the eagles im gonna go by a few stats here real quick:

I don't think you guys understand I hate it as much as you do, but numbers don't lie our receiving core is BAD

Not the best numbers but I hold Brunell responsible for that. Cant do much with 21 consecutive throws to the flats. Or whatever it was.

The ALL-TIME Pro-bowl WR squad would be awful with Brunell as QB for 9 games

Will mb and birdlives, Im curious do you just post a sentence to ***** about nothing because you are just stupid and have no opinion, or facts. Guess what no one in here gives two ****s when you started or stopped reading any thread, if you have something to say for argumentative sake please do, because I am already 100% positive I will bury you if thats all you have to say.

well BARBER left. do you really see brandon jacobs filling that void? he's a bruiser but barber was some ridiculous stat of that teams total offense.

again...numbers do lie when you factor in the qb for the first 9 games who couldn't throw the ball to the line of scrimage and then....well i'm not going to go into the effect JC had on it all b/c we'll go right back to the old arguments.

you also have to take into account that those wide outs were directly benefitted from the presence of brian westbrook, much like moss was two years ago from the presence of portis.

Archived