Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fox Sports: Power Rankings

Loxley

so you'd settle for 2 sacks from the starting d-linemen, if they "met responsibilites?"

if we had a 3-4 system why not? that might make way for someone like a potential merriman to put up 16 sacks because he's going unblocked as the DEs and NT all weigh 300 plus.

edit: as long as the lineman are doing what the coaches tell them to do I could care less about the amount of sacks they get. In a 3-4, no defensive coach is instructing his lineman to rush the passer lol

I can't believe there is a serious discussion on here about who's d-line was better last year. When I last checked, Dallas was in the playoffs and the Skins weren't. Is the amount of sacks what matters here? Or is it the amount of wins?

Ok, um, who? Kolb??

But here's what I want to know - why does the Dallas D-line get a free pass?

Skins D-linemen:

Carter - 56 total tackles (47 solo, 9 asst) 6 sacks

Griff - 50 total tackles (39 solo, 11 asst) 1 sack

Golston - 44 total tackles (33 solo, 11 asst) .5 sacks

Daniels - 37 total tackles (24 solo, 13 asst) 3 sacks

Dallas D-line:

Spears - 45 total (29 solo, 16 asst) 1 sack

Ferguson - 46 total (32 solo, 14 asst) 0 sacks

Canty - 33 total (24 solo, 9 asst) 1 sack

Is it just me or does the Redskin D-line trounce the Cowboys?

They are almost comparable. The Dallass defense relies on the LB to get alot of sacks/tackles, like the Lawence Taylor/Harry Carson days and we rely on our blitzes from LB's and DB's to get alot of sacks/tackles.

if we had a 3-4 system why not? that might make way for someone like a potential merriman to put up 16 sacks because he's going unblocked as the DEs and NT all weigh 300 plus.

Ask how many Dallas fans are satisfied with their d-line play...

I can't believe there is a serious discussion on here about who's d-line was better last year. When I last checked, Dallas was in the playoffs and the Skins weren't. Is the amount of sacks what matters here? Or is it the amount of wins?

according to riggo 44 only sacks and tackles are relevant :laugh:

haha ask how many skins fans are satisfied with their d-line play!

You mean other than Gibbs - who may or may not know what he is talking about. And many on here?

according to riggo 44 only sacks and tackles are relevant :laugh:

Cool - talk about selective reading :doh:

Why not actually pay attention to the game instead of believing ESPN, huh?

Only 2 teams come to mind where the DE in a 3-4 defense had a profound impact on sacks and tackles. The 80's Giants with Jim Burt at NG and Leonard Marshall at DE and the Bills of the 90's with Phil Hansen and Bruce Smith getting alot of tackles and sacks. Most of the time, the 3-4 relies on alot of pressure from an OLB. Damn, I wish we could get back the Mann/Manley combination. They were money not only agianst the pass, but very solid against the run. Manley sometims overpersued on the run, but Monte Coleman/Milot and Olkewicz were always there with a solid tackle.

Yea and hes calling us a sleeper team... wtf

I think he was partially sleeping when he wrote that. Because it doesnt make any sense. A sleeper pick to me means the unexpected shock and awe everyone and make the playoffs or even better win the division.

Take a look at NE's D-line, SD's D-line. And you're defeding the Cowboys D-line?? What's the matter with you?

I am not debating the run defense - but what I saw was LBs not making plays for the redskins - not the d-line.

And 2 sacks - total - from their starting defensive line. That sucks, plain and simple.

Football 101: Why do you think our LBs were not making plays? The fact that the line was busted allowed the runners to get to the second layer in the defense, then the LBs were not making the plays. So, because of the line, the runner got through alot.

I haven't looked at the stat yet for their linebackers, but it was probably better than ours. The line in a 3-4 only has three linemen......big linemen, that stop the run and take on more O-linemen so their linebackers can blitz. The fact that the linemen in a 3-4 have less sacks than the linemen in a 4-3 is very understandable. We have two interior linemen to stuff the run and two ends coming off the corners........they have one lineman and two ends. Do the math.

I hate the Cowboys, but their scheme worked for them last year for the most part.

ok I'm done with this innane arguement...my point is our LBs let us down, not the DL. Our DL performed better than Dallas' if you ask me.

You're kidding right? I am sure you are super smart and post your guts out, you surely have to understand the basic concept of stats associated with a 3-4 vs. a 4-3 :)

OH my what a starteling revelation - there's different repsonsbilities for a 3-4 and 4-3 d-linemen? Wow, thanks for the deep insight! Wow, you're a wealth of knowledge!

Read Elkbong's post. Watch the tape. Come back when you have a clue.

Wow, you're acting like a tool. Why all the hostility for people explaining the difference in two different systems. Every response to any explaination given to you gets a "our D-line got more sacks reply". That makes it sound like you don't understand football. Why don't you come back when you have a clue. :2cents:

You're kidding right? I am sure you are super smart and post your guts out, you surely have to understand the basic concept of stats associated with a 3-4 vs. a 4-3 :)

arguing with him is futile riggins 77. he understands two things: sacks and tackles. anything else is beyond comprehension. he doesn't understand the different tasks involved in a 4-3 or 3-4 system.

arguing with him is futile riggins 77. he understands two things: sacks and tackles. anything else is beyond comprehension. he doesn't understand the different tasks involved in a 4-3 or 3-4 system.

I am seeing that now. I probably should have read the entire thread and saved it for one post instead of posting three responses :laugh:

Wow, you're acting like a tool. Why all the hostility for people explaining the difference in two different systems. Every response to any explaination given to you gets a "our D-line got more sacks reply". That makes it sound like you don't understand football. Why don't you come back when you have a clue. :2cents:

again he thinks that a dline's soul responsibility is to produce sacks and tackles :rolleyes:

lol I don't know what the joey bag is. I've only had the homewrecker burrito but it was awesome. Moe's is my favorite restaurant. :D

I love that place too, I ate there yesterday and today. Here is the difference in the Homewrecker and the Joey Bag of Doughnuts........the Homewrecker is like the the 4-3 defense because it offers more stuff than the joey does (rice, beans, choice of protein, shredded cheese, salsa, guacamole, sour cream, and lettuce).

The Joey Bag of Doughnuts is the 3-4 defense because it offers a little less (rice, beans, choice of protein, shredded cheese, and salsa), but is hefty, with room for a little more rice and beans on the ends......

:D

I love that place too, I ate there yesterday and today. Here is the difference in the Homewrecker and the Joey Bag of Doughnuts........the Homewrecker is like the the 4-3 defense because it offers more stuff than the joey does (rice, beans, choice of protein, shredded cheese, salsa, guacamole, sour cream, and lettuce).

The Joey Bag of Doughnuts is the 3-4 defense because it offers a little less (rice, beans, choice of protein, shredded cheese, and salsa), but is hefty, with room for a little more rice and beans on the ends......

:D

lol thanks for breaking it down for me in terms I can understand :laugh:

W's is what mattersto me. i don'tcare if we win by 1point and are ranked low as long as we Win

Archived