Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Most "experts" seem to think Ramsey is the real deal.

NoCalMike

Ok well I know this could mean absolutely ZERO, but it seems most experts and/or analysts have nothing but great things to say about Ramsey. Personally, I really like what he has showed so far. He played against the Eagles like he learned a thing or two since his two rough starts earlier in the year. He didn't give up and quit when we were down big. He slowly crept us back into the game to at least look "respectable" I know it is too early to predict what he will do in the BIG picture, but I think we MIGHT have finally found the offensive cornerstone to our team. (It was Davis, but obviously that is changing due to multiple reasons). My only fear and biggest fear is that Ramsey is not SPURRIER's guy. I just hope Spurrier isn't just putting Ramsey through the motions, and teasing the Skins fans, only to go after a QB in the draft that he can call his OWN.......only time will tell. If we set our sights on a QB in the draft, (especially for our first pick)I will be PISSED......

I think at this time for all the crap SS has taken for not playing Ramsey, maybe just maybe SS needs some credit for this. After the first 2 starts SS seen that PAtrick needed some more "book" time and sent him back to class. HE knew PR has the tools he just needed to get mentally preped for this.

SO I for once have to give credit to SS for Ramsey's sucess Sunday

Did anyone else notice we ran the ball more often with Ramsey at the helm? I'm starting to think it was Matthews, not Spurrier, that abandoned the run in some of those earlier games. DW and Ramsey seemed to audible to the run a lot more often, which is how the offense is supposed to work ... I think.

Now in Ramsey's case it may have been Spurrier calling those runs to take some pressure off the kid. But in any event our offense sure looked a lot smoother.

Bufford,

Except for the fact that Ramsey's starts weren't against the leagues top defenses you have a good point. Ramsey faced the Eagles, Saints and Packers in his three starts. The Saints are a horrendous defense. They are no good.

Ramsey faced the No. 4, No. 11 and No. 27 defenses. Wuerffel faced the No. 8, No. 9 and No. 15 defenses. At the time Ramsey got the Saints, they were a bad defense. They've gotten worse. What's not fair is to think the Saints are worth a sh!t because they aren't. They got a ton of sacks against us for the most part because Ramsey didn't know it was ok to throw the ball. Ramsey even said he held on to it too long in that game. The Saints only actually have two more sacks than we have and by in large we all feel we don't get any pressure at all on the QB and while there's more to pressure than sacks, that's certainly part of it.

Ramsey was out of his league against the Saints. They put safeties in the robber position and just presented Ramsey with stuff he hadn't seen and had a hard time adjusting to. He made bad reads and bad throws throughout and for the most part it wasn't because of pressure, which has been shown was largely part of our memory due to the fourth quarter where we surrendered four of seven sacks and eight of 15 hits on the QB.

Ramsey clearly needed to sit and learn and process what he'd experienced and seen while continuing to process what was going on out there on the field. This start against the Eagles was a protected start. Spurrier didn't let him go guns blazing and he did a pretty good job of managing things and not pressing.

I'm curious who the so called "experts" are. I'm trusting SOS's judgement over any other expert because he sees him in practice and knows what he's supposed to be doing during the game and whether or not he's doing it.

If he's the real deal needs to be determined by whether he can execute SOS's offense. That is the only criteria for which he'll be judged.

We've had too many other real deals around here to make any statements after just a few games. Everyone was saying Peyton "Happy Feet" Manning was the real deal but I don't hear him being mentioned as one of the great QB's anymore.

It's amazing how guys can become the real deal with a change of scenery...Rich Gannon anyone?

Ermmm.....Peyton Manning is the REAL DEAL. Nothing wrong with him at all. In fact, his rookie season he set the single season record for INTs by a rookie, but most saw his raw skills and figured he just needed that initial year of learning how to read multiple defenses. This is why I think Patrick should have had more playing time this year once it was apparent that our team was not going to the playoffs. I would have much rather had Ramsey learn about defenses ON THE FIELD during a throw-away season like this year, rather then have to start off the bat next year, but it doesn't really matter now, I think Ramsey will do fine. Oh and as far as other "real deals" There is a difference between our fans saying it, and every analyst/"expert" in the media saying it. I just like what I have seen from Ramsey and he looks more promising to me than anyone else we have signed and/or could afford for next year.

Originally posted by NoCalMike

Ermmm.....Peyton Manning is the REAL DEAL. Nothing wrong with him at all.

He's a good QB, but many experts were touting him as the next upcoming best QB in the league and I certainly won't say he's the best QB in the league although he's certainly better than what we have AT THIS POINT.

He's a good QB, but many experts were touting him as the next upcoming best QB in the league and I certainly won't say he's the best QB in the league although he's certainly better than what we have AT THIS POINT.

Over the last five years (cumulative), who would you put ahead of Payton Manning?

These are the best QBs in the league:

Warner: Flash in the pan for two years? has had an aweful year even when healthy in the first few games. May not have staying power.

Favre: First half of the year he was great. He has had off years in the last few years.

Gannon: Great the last three years.

Garcia: Pretty consistent with good numbers.

McNabb: t his was his breakout year. he'll have to come back and show us again next year.

Except for Gannon, you really cant make a case for any of the above being better than Manning (Gannon has only been good in the twilight of his career, whereas Manning has always been good). So you have to consider Manning one of the best if not the best.

With more maturing and experience he'll surpass all the above.

Manning will most likely end his career with a ratings in the high 80's and over 40,000 yards passing. If he manages to win a super bowl, he'll be a lock for Canton.

Even if he doesnt win and continues to perform the way he has been he's a lock for Canton.

Back to the original thread here are the rankings for defensive passing yards allowed for the D's the Skins have faced and the primary QB for the game:

AZ 27 SM

PHI 8 SM

SF 23 SM

TENN 24 PR

NO 28 PR

GB 4 PR

IND 2 SM

SEA 13 SM

Jax 17 SM

NY 3 SM

STL 9 DW

DAL 18 DW

NY 3 DW/PR

PHI 8 PR

Ramsey faced 3 (1/2 game),4, 8, 24,28 Average 14

DW faced 3 (1/2 game) , 9, 18 Average 11

SM faced 2, 3 ,8,13, 17, 23,27 Average 13.3

These are PASS defense ratings only, not overall. Don't know how to rate QBs vs rushing Ds or overall Ds. (I doubled the rating if the QB only played 1/2 the game for the average)

Not much difference overall in pass Ds faced for our QBs.

PR did very well vs 3 and 8

Mathews did very well vs 27 and well vs 2

DW did well vs 9

PR did the best vs the best competition.

I'd still take Favre over Manning. I love Favre's attitude. Manning throws too many interceptions. He's easy to rattle. When you get pressure on him he gets those happy feet. 2000 was a good year for him, but his TD/interception ratio isn't that great. Only 2 QB's have thrown more interceptions so far this year. Maybe I just don't like him from his Tennessee days and never saw what the big deal was because he couldn't beat the Gators.

I see guys like McNabb and Vick as the new breed - the ability to make plays when they are under pressure and flushed out of the pocket. The days of guys like Marino standing back there slinging away are starting to fade away. I'd like to see Manning perform behind our OLine.

The last 3 super bowl winning QBs - Brady, Dilfer and Warner are hardly in the McNabb/Vick mold. Elway before them was and Favre is/was very mobile too (except the Strahan sack ...)

If you look at the last 3 losing QBs you'll find Warner, Collins and McNair. So out of the last 5 QBs in the Super Bowl only one, McNair, would be considered mobile.

I'd need to see more of a winning pattern to state that the days of immobile QBs is over. Recent history hasn't shown it.

Mobile QBs can make busted plays turn out to be positive but they can also tend to get rattled and take off too early (see Vick especially). Manning also gets rattled as was said earlier. The main difference is that his happy feet stay in the pocket more.

Winning is whole team effort. All other things equal, the QB that makes the fewest mistakes is usually the winner. Our OL isnt yet equal to many others, much less playoff/Super Bowl caliber.

it took Joe Theismann 4 years of sitting on the bench before he got a stint on the field like the one Ramsey had this season and at age 28 he didn't look any more refined or sophisticated than Patrick has at 23 :laugh:

It is nice that some outsiders now think Ramsey may be for real.

Why don't we ask the Eagles? Despite the 13 point win Ramsey did put up some pretty good numbers against their secondary. Even they would admit that.

Again, my feel for it is that based on watching Carr, Harrington and Ramsey, PR has at times looked like the best of the 2002 lot and that is saying something considering his holdout and the fact he has gotten a lot fewer reps than the others.

Honestly, i think Ramsey has what it takes to be an NFL quarterback. The kid is full of potential, he has an arm, all he needs is some awareness in the pocket (a mental clock), and some experience throwing against a faster, stronger, more powerful NFL Defense. Just like Spurrier, he haas to realize that the NFL is not the same as the NCAA. Football has stages, and Ramsey as well as Spurrier need to understand that you cant just launch a ball toward the endzone and expect your guy to come down with it. It is at the point in the NFL that defensive backs are faster then Wide Recievers. Also, i feel it is helpful that he has Davis in the backfield, and honestly, Davis is what has kept this team together. Granted they wouldnt completely fall apart if he left, but he is a major boost towards the production of the offense, especially against good defensive units because of his strength up the middle and his break away speed.

Derek Gardner

a.k.a. Hogfest Cheuffer

Some good points: The one about the "mental clock" is very true. One thing that I don't completely agree with is regarding Davis. While it is true that I like Davis and that he is one of my favorite Redskins; I think that we could get by quite well without him. A back that is more of a slash back probably would be better suited for the ball coach's offense.

Who is this "The Other Gardner" dude anyway?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :silly:

Archived