Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Billy Donovan: Officially Magic's Next Coach

SkinsTerps26

Sources believe BD will become the next head coach of the Orlando Magic after they offered the job to him. Nothing is set in stone, but this is definitely a head scratcher.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/local/orl-magic0107june01,0,6754853.story?coll=orl-sports-headlines

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2888555

I think florida was set to give him an escalading contract, begining at 3mil till 2011 or 2012. Magic must be offering some nice perks.

ESPN said 6mill was offered to BD...

6 Million > 3 Million

Makes sense to me why BD would take the job. He squeezed as much out of gainesville as he could anyways, i doubt they would have won another championship there. Plus orlando is as close to home as it can get, i'd take a 100% increase in salary for a 2-3 hour move.

For anyone that knows UMD recruiting, Jai Lucas (son of ex great terp, john lucas) ditched UMD for his new found crush on the gators. Same thing happened when Kentucky got rid of Tubby... I for one am glad this **** happened to him for being such a lil baby this recruiting period.

Who was Billy's mentor? Rick Pitino.

How'd he work out in the NBA? The exact way Billy will do.

but he will be making 2x what he would in Florida :D

If he follows the same route as Pitino he will be just fine. Kind of hoped he would wait for the Miami job though.

For anyone that knows UMD recruiting, Jai Lucas (son of ex great terp, john lucas) ditched UMD for his new found crush on the gators. Same thing happened when Kentucky got rid of Tubby... I for one am glad this **** happened to him for being such a lil baby this recruiting period.

why come to umd? it sucks and im a student here.. I understand why good bball players dont come here

Its a win-win for donovan... he will get his money and still land a college job when fired from the nba

why come to umd? it sucks and im a student here.. I understand why good bball players dont come here

Its a win-win for donovan... he will get his money and still land a college job when fired from the nba

Figures a 20 year old would know nothing about maryland basketball the last 18 years that Gary's been the coach. First John Lucas went to maryland. Him and his son went to the UNC-UMD game and loved the program and it seemed quite possible that he would pick umd. In the end he loved the idea of shining at Kentucky, but tubby got the boot. Next he wanted to bask in the spotlight again and out of notwhere picked Florida. I don't blame him for wanting to make his own legacy, but he still shouldn't have waited this long to just drop maryland so late into recruiting. I think he's just a lil whinny ***** from seeing how he handled himself this recruiting period.

Skinsfan2k.... if these past down years are the reason why you think no player would come to Maryland, then, by your logic, why the hell would anyone go to Syracuse or UConn... they didn't make the tourney.

Its people like you that make the campus "suck", get that straight.

Figures a 20 year old would know nothing about maryland basketball the last 18 years that Gary's been the coach. First John Lucas went to maryland. Him and his son went to the UNC-UMD game and loved the program and it seemed quite possible that he would pick umd. In the end he loved the idea of shining at Kentucky, but tubby got the boot. Next he wanted to bask in the spotlight again and out of notwhere picked Florida. I don't blame him for wanting to make his own legacy, but he still shouldn't have waited this long to just drop maryland so late into recruiting. I think he's just a lil whinny ***** from seeing how he handled himself this recruiting period.

Skinsfan2k.... if these past down years are the reason why you think no player would come to Maryland, then, by your logic, why the hell would anyone go to Syracuse or UConn... they didn't make the tourney.

I dont give a crap what you think. Wow youre 22.. You know alot, you have been living for much longer than me.. No one cares especially palyers in today's generation what the program did 20 yrs ago.. They want a program that will help them excel in basketball and where they have fun..

my friend got his picture taken with him.. Its pretty sure he didn't want to live in his fathers' shadow here. Maryland is turning into a prep school and ive talked to players.

The party atomsphere here sucks and the girls sucks here are reasons why people dont want to come here.. Maryland had its run and didn't capitalize on recruiting.. Maryland is a 2nd tier school in college basketball

I dont give a crap what you think. Wow youre 22.. You know alot, you have been living for much longer than me.. No one cares especially palyers in today's generation what the program did 20 yrs ago.. They want a program that will help them excel in basketball and where they have fun..

my friend got his picture taken with him.. Its pretty sure he didn't want to live in his fathers' shadow here. Maryland is turning into a prep school and ive talked to players.

The party atomsphere here sucks and the girls sucks here are reasons why people dont want to come here.. Maryland had its run and didn't capitalize on recruiting.. Maryland is a 2nd tier school in college basketball

First, I didn't say what they did 20 years ago, i said what they've done over the last 18 years, the whole duration of gary's tenure here. I graduated from there and saw them win a national championship and an ACC tourney championship so I have seen them be successful recently.

2nd. Prep school??? 35k people and ur going to claim everyone's turning preppy? Thats some BS. And why? B/c u see kids from Bmore walking around? news flash Baltimore sends the most students to UMD b/c it has a higher population.... but its always been like this. Plus with all the jersey/long island influence, and it being one of the most diverse schools in the country UMD is definitely not "preppy"

The party atmosphere is weak. I agree with you here, but thats due to a monopoly the owners of the bars have on college park and also all the rules the city has on noise violations etc, plus the dying greek life. But Basketball players don't go to schools to party, they go where there is a winning program/good coach. Still managed to see Blake, Grinnon, Taj Holden or even Bowers every night at a bar.

The reason you don't see big time players sign here is b/c thats Gary's thing. He likes those diamond in the roughs who stay a while. Does it suck that Carmelo, Rudy gay and Kevin Durant left Maryland for other schools that didn't care if they went 1 for one year and then jumped to the draft? Sure does, but Gary still seems to put teams out there that are succeful.

Anyways, all this **** is coming from a dude that has a florida state and jenn sterger signature. You probably like duke basketball + fl. state and penn state football too.

No one cares especially palyers in today's generation what the program did 20 yrs ago..

Who said anything about 20 years ago? How about two Final Fours, a National Championship and an ACC Tourney championship in the past five years?

They want a program that will help them excel in basketball

Gary Williams is one of the very best in-game coaches in college basketball. He can develop talent like almost nobody else. In fact, it's when he goes after the blue-chippers exclusively that he gets himself into trouble. Witness the 2004-05 and 2005-06 seasons.

Maryland is a 2nd tier school in college basketball

Maybe if your first tier has fewer than 10 schools in it.

But if, as you say, "no one cares what the program did 20 years ago," you're being ridiculous by putting Maryland in the second tier. Maryland has had one of the most successful runs of any team in the past 15 years, and is a top 10 program. Gary is a future Hall of Fame coach and one of the top 10 game-day coaches today. His recruiting is unorthodox, but he gets very good talent when he doesn't have idiots trying to tell him to run his program the same way everyone else does.

Maryland's party scene has never been top ten, but I can tell you there was little room for complaint in the mid-90s. If a large number of current Maryland students have the same spoiled, entitled mindset as you, then it's no wonder the party scene sucks. Too bad for you. Do you sit around whining, waiting for someone else to create all the fun so you can just show up?

How big do u want a first tier to be?

But if, as you say, "no one cares what the program did 20 years ago," you're being ridiculous by putting Maryland in the second tier. Maryland has had one of the most successful runs of any team in the past 15 years, and is a top 10 program. Gary is a future Hall of Fame coach and one of the top 10 game-day coaches today. His recruiting is unorthodox, but he gets very good talent when he doesn't have idiots trying to tell him to run his program the same way everyone else does.

they are a top 10 program, but players want to play and in the case of lucas, would he play with both hayes and vasquez being here for 4 years?

First, I didn't say what they did 20 years ago, i said what they've done over the last 18 years, the whole duration of gary's tenure here. I graduated from there and saw them win a national championship and an ACC tourney championship so I have seen them be successful recently.

Whats the difference between 18 and 20? :laugh:

The reason you don't see big time players sign here is b/c thats Gary's thing. He likes those diamond in the roughs who stay a while. Does it suck that Carmelo, Rudy gay and Kevin Durant left Maryland for other schools that didn't care if they went 1 for one year and then jumped to the draft? Sure does, but Gary still seems to put teams out there that are succeful.

Thats why Gary is doing it right for goign with blue chip players and local players, like vasquez and hayes. the class after the championship were aweful.

Anyways, all this **** is coming from a dude that has a florida state and jenn sterger signature. You probably like duke basketball + fl. state and penn state football too.

free signatures.. shes hot.. next question?:(

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

~ Mark Twain

http://umterps.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/050807aac.html

Terps Named One of the Top Programs over the Past Decade

Panel of National Correspondants Honors Terps' Decade of Excellence

May 8, 2007

COLLEGE PARK, Md. - The University of Maryland men's basketball program has been ranked among the top ten programs nationally over the last decade by ESPN.com. The rankings, released May 7, were complied by a panel of five national correspondents.

Over the past ten years, the Terps have won a national championship (2002), made two Final Four appearances (2001, 2002) and appeared in the sweet 16 on five occasions. The Terrapins have captured an ACC Tournament Championship (2004) and a regular season crown (2002). Maryland has appeared in the postseason 14 straight years and has won 19 games in the NCAA Tournament over the past decade.

The Terrapins have a combined record of 235-99 (.704) over the past decade and have averaged 23.5 wins per season. Maryland has been dominant at home, posting a record of 138-21 (.868) at Cole Field House and Comcast Center. The Terps also have the second-best mark in the ACC over the past decade with a record of 102-58 (.638) in league play.

The Terps have produced four All-Americans over the past 10 years and have had 13 different players earn All-ACC honors. Head coach Gary Williams was the 2002 ACC and national Coach of the Year.

ESPN.com Top 10

1. Duke

T2. Michigan State

T2. UConn

4. Florida

T5. Kansas

T5. North Carolina

7. Kentucky

8. Arizona

9. Maryland

10. Syracuse

NBA GM's just never learn. College Coaches in the pros all suck(with the lone exception being Larry Brown). Within three years he'll be back in College.

thats why its a win-win for donovan.. he gets paid and he will get a great job when he comes back.

the jj redick nba takeover has begun

hahahha

hahahaha so true. backney for mvp of the league.

Im still surprised that orlando has an nba team... is it the smallest city outside of greenbay (and obvi excluding big cities who moved their stadiums to smaller towns but still keep the big city name) that has a pro team? someone know the answer?

Your the one who comes off sounding like a whiny ***** not Lucas - and it is really sad. Put it into prospective man - we are talking about college sports, which I am a fanatic of myself, but think about it for a second.

So an 18 year old KID decides that it is best for HIS LIFE at the last minute to go to a school that you don't happen to root for and you freak out and call him a *****. A person you don't know made a decision that you know nothing about for reasons you will never know.

Each person has to make decisions that are best for themselves and have to **** everything else.

If he had chosen Maryland and then turned out to be an average player. Gary Williams would have recruited over him and he would have lost his playing time within a year or two. Does anyone feel sorry for those kids or call coaches ***** who recruit 18 year olds with promises of playing him and success only to be over-recruited. It happens every year at every school - and players transfer out. Players have to look out for themselves not for YOUR rooting interests.

I think Billy Donovan's advantage was in recruiting. He managed to attract top-notch talent to Florida and his record reflects it. The NBA will nullify that skill. It will be interesting to see if his coaching is up to the task. :2cents:

Heeey...FSU football is the best man, who can blame the guy! :silly:
Who said anything about 20 years ago? How about two Final Fours, a National Championship and an ACC Tourney championship in the past five years?

Gary Williams is one of the very best in-game coaches in college basketball. He can develop talent like almost nobody else. In fact, it's when he goes after the blue-chippers exclusively that he gets himself into trouble. Witness the 2004-05 and 2005-06 seasons.

Let's just say many people at Florida State would give limbs to get a coach of Gary Williams calibre- a true college basketball genius. Maryland's a great, great program, and is being severely (and whiningly so) underrated by skinfan2k. If you guys really don't want him anymore, hell, send him to Tally. We'll take him in a heartbeat, as would a million other schools in the nation I'm sure.

As for Billy Donovan- this is a win/win for the guy. He probably won't even have to move, since his entire extended family lives in Gainesville, which is all of an hour and a half away from Orlando, and with the money he'll be making even for a few years before he gets released he'll set up his family for their lives. He would've been stupid to not take this job, if only for the financial security it brings along with the total ease of keeping his family in place.

Archived