Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Network's Top 10 One-Shot-Wonders

chrisc0015

I searched for one shot wonders but saw nothing posted, if this already has been I apologize.

Late last night I saw on the NFL Network they aired a program for the NFL's Top 10 One-Shot-Wonders. I turned it on towards the end of the show when they were going over the #4 One Shot Wonder and didn't pay too much attention until they mentioned a Redskin near the top of the list. I'm sure many of you are aware of Timmy Smith. (I can't remember if he was #3 or #2 on the list, it was late, give me a break) But as there are many younger fans browsing ExtremeSkins (including myself), I thought I'd share the story of Timmy Smith as I learned last night.

Timmy Smith was drafted in 1987 out of Texas Tech in the Fifth Round to the Washington Redskins. During the regular season, he played a small part in the offense, appearing in only 7 games with 29 runs for 126 yards. During the playoffs, Timmy Smith was used more due to injuries to other RBs, he had 16 carries in the first game, and 13 in the NFC Championship against the Vikings (in both games he produced fairly well)... Gibbs decided he would start Timmy Smith in the Super Bowl.

This is where things get interesting, Gibbs was worried that Smith would be too nervous and get sick before the game so he didn't tell him he'd be the starter. The only player he told was Doug Williams. They spoke with Doug about it on the program, and he said that he told Timmy Smith during the week leading to the game, 'If you get in the game and you !#%@ up, I'll kick your !#%." (or something along those lines, like I said, it was late) Williams said that Timmy Smith always thought he was joking and would laugh when he said things, but he wasn't joking.

Anyways, the Super Bowl came and Smith was the starter. He broke the Super Bowl rushing record with 22 carries for 204 yards and 2 TDs. Carrying the Redskins to Super Bowl victory, though Doug William's became the MVP.

After the Super Bowl Smith's agent wanted the Redskins to make him the highest paid RB in the league, the Redskins declined. The next year he was the starter, but couldn't produce, was released and remained out of football for a year, joined the Cowboys for one season in 1990 before being released. Now he is serving a 2.5 year sentence for selling cocaine in Colorado...

Yea I caught the end of that program last night as well. I guess the redskins made a great decision on not pulling the trigger and giving the guy tons of money. I think it was Bostic who they were talking to and was saying that anybody could have run through the huge wholes they were making on the offensive line. kind of sad he is serving a cocaine charge....

That was a great performance by T.Smith. He would have been my first choice. For the life of me off the top of my head, I couldn't think of any other one game wonders.

I'll have to check it out next time it come on for sure.

I would think that Clint Longley would have to be near the top.

#1 on the list was Greg Cook I believe, quarterback for the Browns in the late '60s or early '70s...

His coach was Bill Walsch, who said he was the best quarterback he had ever coached. (including Montana, Young) What happened to Cook though, he tore his rotator cuff but since medical attention and capabilities weren't as advanced in that day, he played the remainder of the season and was operated afterwards... He managed to play extremely well and had a great season, but never recovered after surgery.

In this day and age, things would have been much different for his career. (Drew Brees had the same injury in 2005, and look what he did last year) Its a sad story.

I think Timmy Smith holds the most rushing yards every in a Super Bowel also. If I am wrong then correct me but I think I am right.

You are right, Smith still holds the SB rushing record.

I remember we all had high hopes for Timmy Smith. It seemed we'd be able to ride his legs for several years, but drugs did him in. He never lifted his legs that much when he ran which made him look like he was slower than he was, but he had a great burst when he needed it.

As far as I'm concerned, he made doing the "Cabbage Patch" in the endzone after a TD popular - which I still think is the best TD dance ever (unless we call the Fun Bunch a dance - and I HATE TD dancing!). But I vividly remember him spinning the ball and doing the Cabbage Patch while it spun.

Good call, btw, for the NFL Network to recognize him as one of the top One Shot Wonders. I'll have to check the program out.

Hail,

H

Yea I caught the end of that program last night as well. I guess the redskins made a great decision on not pulling the trigger and giving the guy tons of money. I think it was Bostic who they were talking to and was saying that anybody could have run through the huge wholes they were making on the offensive line. kind of sad he is serving a cocaine charge....

He said you could drive a truck through them. They showed a highlight of one of the holes, and it looked like you really could drive a truck through them.

Timmy Smith did well in that game.

However, the explanations they gave on that show on his success in SB XXII were accurate.

You could've driven 18-wheelers through some of those holes he was rushing through. :) The Hogs were awesome that night.

I'm surprised at the #1 entry though.

Greg Cook isn't what I would call a TRUE one-hit wonder.

A real one-hit wonder to me is someone who isn't really talented enough to stand with the greats, but through circumstances involving fate, luck, and just being in the right place at the right time, shine brightly and briefly like a shooting star before flaming out (unlike a real star which shines on forever).

Greg Cook seems more like a tragedy than a one-hit wonder. He had all the tools and makings of a genuine NFL star, but never got the chance to shine in his own right.

I remember we all had high hopes for Timmy Smith. It seemed we'd be able to ride his legs for several years, but drugs did him in. He never lifted his legs that much when he ran which made him look like he was slower than he was, but he had a great burst when he needed it.

As far as I'm concerned, he made doing the "Cabbage Patch" in the endzone after a TD popular - which I still think is the best TD dance ever (unless we call the Fun Bunch a dance - and I HATE TD dancing!). But I vividly remember him spinning the ball and doing the Cabbage Patch while it spun.

Good call, btw, for the NFL Network to recognize him as one of the top One Shot Wonders. I'll have to check the program out.

Hail,

H

I tought that I was the only one who remembers that! The bad part was, I didn't learn how to do the cabbage patch until 8 years after it was old.

A few facts about that game.

After playing 4-3 all year, Denver switched to a 3-4 just for us, since the Giants had used it the year before to shut us out. Our OL was confused by it in the 1st quarter, but then Gibbs switched to a zone blocking scheme, and we mopped them up. The OL DID produce HUGE holes, BUT...T Smith had the quickness to blow through them, whereas a typical Gibbs powerback like Rogers would not have been nearly as explosive. If you get a chance to see the game, look at the difference between Smith carrying the ball and Kelvin Bryant. Bryant looks VERY ordinary, whereas Smith looks like Superman. Smith had a horrible work ethic, which is why he never amounted to anything afterwards. Oh the irony that he got arrested in Colorado....

NFL network really has nothing to show during the offseason, it should only be a seasonal network, take a break during the summer.

I totally disagree.....I love the old stuff that they show....and the way they stay up on everthing

it beats sitting thru Sportscenter and having to wait for my football info in between all the other sports stories

even when there's nothing on TV......there's always NFL network to turn to IMO

:2cents:

Hail,

H

I thought that game was more of just a great performance of the HOGS! i mean that was the year of Doug williams and no one was gonna touch him. I could have gotten at least a hundred yards through those holes..Timmy is my #1 one-shot wonder!!!

Archived