Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

June 1st Cuts.

DirtySkin21

Does anyone have any idea of who has the best chance of getting cut from each team(like I heard Simeon Rice might get cut) and who do you think we have the best chance of getting after those cuts? Should we sign a DT or DE? I'm a little curious as to what everyone thinkg we need.

No matter who we sign, (if we sign anyone after the cuts) but we shouldn't throw alot of money at anyone. We should give them min. contract with earning potential if that's possible.:2cents:

we cann't lose taylor or cooley. we can't afford too. the skins ended up spendin 25 million in guaranteed money to AA and LL in the safety position already it would of only taken 1.5 mil to extend ryan clarks contract, and he was taylors best friend. we cant afford to lose cooley or talor, and then have to pay outthe ass to get a playre half their talent when we already had them

we cann't lose taylor or cooley. we can't afford too. the skins ended up spendin 25 million in guaranteed money to AA and LL in the safety position already it would of only taken 1.5 mil to extend ryan clarks contract, and he was taylors best friend. we cant afford to lose cooley or talor, and then have to pay outthe ass to get a playre half their talent when we already had them

This isn't accurate:

1) AA was only $5M (granted, a waste)

2) LL will probably be $10-15M guaranteed over 6-7 years... The money doesn't all come due at once, ya know?

3) Ryan Clark felt slighted when we signed AA and didn't want to sign with us no matter how much we offered.

I know the $25M is what some reporter quoted, but it's an exaggeration and doesn't reflect the actual cost (which is far less).

Yeah, i was bout to say. I read on a few articles that we wasted around 25 million between the two of them when we could of kept clark.

regardless, we would of only had to spend less than 2 instead of what we did.

that was the point

nah, that's not the case, we refused to pay his extension and thats why we went out and got AA. I do know that. and the reason they paid AA that muc when clark was the starter with Taylor of course didn't go well. But I liked Ryan "the hammer" clark, and was sorry to see us let him go. I thought that was a bad move. BUt it was taylors best friend on the team, but hopefully landry will be the real deal, im not osld until isee him play though.

I thought clark played perfect for our scheme

nah, that's not the case, we refused to pay his extension and thats why we went out and got AA. I do know that. and the reason they paid AA that muc when clark was the starter with Taylor of course didn't go well. But I liked Ryan "the hammer" clark, and was sorry to see us let him go. I thought that was a bad move. BUt it was taylors best friend on the team, but hopefully landry will be the real deal, im not osld until isee him play though.

I thought clark played perfect for our scheme

It wasn't an "extension"... he was a free agent. He could've signed with us, but he chose another team after we signed AA... he felt "slighted" and didn't think he should've been forced to compete for the starting position (turns out it wouldn't have been much of a competition).

Your argument assumes we wouldn't have taken Laron Landry if we had Ryan Clark. I believe that would be a mistake to assume.

A lot of people liked Ryan Clark... However, the guy had a fairly average year in 2005, and it was clear we needed some competition at the position. Not sure how a guy can think he deserves a starting spot based on 13 games started, 57 tackles and 3 interceptions (his only 3 ints in his career up to that point). Look at his career and let me know if you really think he is a starting FS in this league (without competition). The Redskins would've been better off had Ryan Clark stayed, but he chose to leave and it wasn't because of money. Can't blame the Redskins for this.

speaking of june 1st cuts, is there anybody you guys think the skins will cut this week? obviously most of you know what i think about the springs situation, but aside from him, do the skins cut anyone else come friday?

Cut Portis and trade him for Calvin Johnson..........J/K:laugh:

I have no idea who we will cut as I don't really know how that affects the salary cap. If you cut a player, do you eat the cap space, even if they sign with another team?

If a player becomes available after June 1 that the coaching staffs wishes to take a chance on at a VERY modest price, then I say we take a chance, otherwise save the money for for Cooley and Taylor and incase we need it to sign someone durring the season.

I have no idea who we will cut as I don't really know how that affects the salary cap. If you cut a player, do you eat the cap space, even if they sign with another team?

If you cut a player, all of the guaranteed money gets charged to the cap.

For example, Player X has 9 million in guaranteed money over the next 3 years.

The guaranteed money is spread on the cap evenly at 3 million a year.

When player X gets cut, the 6 million for the remaining years gets thrust forward to count on the cap immeadiately.

Cutting a player on June 1, lets you push the cap hit until 2008, instead of 2007.

If you cut a player, all of the guaranteed money gets charged to the cap.

For example, Player X has 9 million in guaranteed money over the next 3 years.

The guaranteed money is spread on the cap evenly at 3 million a year.

When player X gets cut, the 6 million for the remaining years gets thrust forward to count on the cap immeadiately.

Cutting a player on June 1, lets you push the cap hit until 2008, instead of 2007.

so if we cut shawn springs, what would happen with his 7 mil?

To get back to the original question .........

Actually with the expanded salary cap and teams getting much better at balancing their books and writing contracts which are cap friendly the days of good players having to be cut on or after June 1 to keep teams under the cap are long gone. I'd be surprised if there were many guys cut on 1 June who have much left in the tank.

We probably still need a LDE and maybe a DT.

I'm not sure you can hope to see anyone cut on 1 June who is going to add much to our roster at those positions. We might find a situational player in the late camp cuts - a guy who can rush on 3rd down from the DE spot or a 2 down run stopping DT.

Word is we are looking to try to trade for a DE - though what we have to offer is open to question (hope its not a first day pick next year).

I think I'm right in saying that $7M is his base salary including any roster bonus for this year. If we cut him as well as that any unexpired portion of his original signing bouns also gets brought forward and charged against the cap. Lets say there is $3M left of that (not sure what the actual number is). That makes a cap hit of $10M to cut him.

Howver if you cut him on or after June 1 you can opt to have this charged agianst both the 2007 and 2008 cap thus on the numbers above he would cost us $5M this year and $5M in dead money against next years cap. Again these are not accurate numbers just explaining the way you can defer some cap hit into future years by cuttng a guy after June 1.

I doubt we'll sign anybody come post June 1st cuts........

we really have got to get Cooley resigned before the season ends or he's gone. Skins have lost way too many "core Redskins" by not getting them extended before the end of the season when their contracts expire (Pierce, Clark, Smoot....)

Martin is right, I think I have the numbers.

From scout.com: http://redskins.scout.com/3/salary_cap_chart.html

The link is for 2006, but it has the info for later years cap charge.

Springs is charged 23.326 against the cap for the next 3 years. 6.675 is the bonus, 16.651 is his salary.

For 2007, he costs 7.358 against the cap (2.225 in guaranteed, 5.133 in salary). If he's cut, the extra cap hit is 4.45 million, but the salary gets wiped off, for a net savings of 683K.

If the 4.45 is pushed to 2008 (which would be why he would be cut June first), its a 2007 net savings of 5.1 million.

After 6/1 2.483M would remain as dead money in 07 and 4.875M would be dead money charged against the 08 cap.

The Skins have already designated David Patten as a 6/1 release so his cap savings will kick in 6/1. As was said earlier most teams are takng better care of their cap and not being forced to cut good players just for the cap savings after 6/1 so the players who become available usually are at the end of their rope. Also with this new rule which allows a team to declare a player as a 6/1 cut early so they can hook up with another team while there's still plenty of cap space available it's likely if a player were to become a 6/1 cut we'd already know about it.

After 6/1 2.483M would remain as dead money in 07 and 4.875M would be dead money charged against the 08 cap.

The Skins have already designated David Patten as a 6/1 release so his cap savings will kick in 6/1. As was said earlier most teams are takng better care of their cap and not being forced to cut good players just for the cap savings after 6/1 so the players who become available usually are at the end of their rope. Also with this new rule which allows a team to declare a player as a 6/1 cut early so they can hook up with another team while there's still plenty of cap space available it's likely if a player were to become a 6/1 cut we'd already know about it.

so lets say we pay shawn his 7 mil in 07, if we cut him after this season, what would his cap hit be for 08?

If Springs is a June 1st cut his contract is this.

2007 contract = 4.875 mil salary + 2.483 mil bonus money = cap hit of 7.358

2008 contract = 5 mil salary + 2.484 mil bonus money = cap hit of 7.484

2009 contract = 6 mil salary + 2.484 mil bonus money = cap hit of 8.484

If we release him June 1st you

-add his remaining bonus money = 7.451 mil

-Divide by 3 (remaining years on his contract)

-That number is the cap charge this year (7.451 divided by 3 = 2.483 mil cap charge this year)

-Subtract the cap charge this year from the total cap hit this year of 7.358.

7.358 - 2.483 = Cap savings this year of 4.875 mil

-Take the total bonus money paid - the current cap charge for the cap charge next year

7.451 - 2.483 = 4.968 dead cap charge next year.

Just throwing it out there, but the cost to outright cut springs next year and keep him this year is 4.968 mil. The exact same dead cap charge next year to keep him this year over making him a June 1st cut. Why do we need to cut him with over 7 mil in cap space available this year with only Landry and cooley to sign? Who is out there to warrant us having over 12 mil in available cap space on June 1st? Kind of interested to here some theories as too why this move is beneficial to the skins.

Archived