Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sean Taylor and Shawn Springs absent from OTAs...

wilbur58z

And Redskins Nation gets its drawers in a bunch.

:rolleyes:

They mentioned Taylor and Springs as the "most notably absent". That doesnt mean everyone was there. They also have not clue one as to whether or not they were excused, they had more important things to do, etc. I dont recall seeing Gibbs or Williams say they were upset by these absences or that they were unexcused. They picked these two because it makes for better copy on their story and gets people talking and wanting to watch more. No coincidence they picked the most controversial Redskins of the past few months/offseasons to point out.

From the Washington Post article on the same subject.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/08/AR2007050801754.html

Taylor attended the voluntary workouts sporadically in 2004 and not at all in 2005, then had perfect attendance last year. Springs, meanwhile, is in Scottsdale, Ariz., where he has been working out for the past three months and enduring an uncertain offseason with the Redskins. In February, the Redskins asked him to take a $2 million pay cut and he refused. In the interim, he has been part of trade scenarios. Springs said he planned to attend the voluntary workouts later in the month, but wanted to remain focused on his Arizona training.

"My situation is cool," Springs said. "I'll be there in a couple, few weeks. It's not a statement about anything. All it has to do with is that I'm getting my work in here."

Somone else will repost this in the Stadium I'm sure, but this should clear up any concerns about Springs...Taylor absence is till unexplained though :(

Taylor, Springs are No-Shows

Taylor, Springs Are Early No-Shows

By Howard Bryant

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, May 9, 2007; E01

While the majority of the Washington Redskins' regular players were in attendance at the team's first organized activities of the offseason yesterday, two absences were noteworthy: Neither safety Sean Taylor nor cornerback Shawn Springs was at Redskins Park.

It is unclear whether Taylor, who works out in Miami, plans to attend the workouts, which will be held Tuesday through Thursday of each week leading up to the June minicamp, with one week off. While attendance is voluntary, the coaching staff has encouraged players to attend, especially since Coach Joe Gibbs agreed to veterans' demands that they be allowed to do their offseason conditioning away from Redskins Park this past winter.

Taylor attended the voluntary workouts sporadically in 2004 and not at all in 2005, then had perfect attendance last year. Springs, meanwhile, is in Scottsdale, Ariz., where he has been working out for the past three months and enduring an uncertain offseason with the Redskins. In February, the Redskins asked him to take a $2 million pay cut and he refused. In the interim, he has been part of trade scenarios. Springs said he planned to attend the voluntary workouts later in the month, but wanted to remain focused on his Arizona training.

"My situation is cool," Springs said. "I'll be there in a couple, few weeks. It's not a statement about anything. All it has to do with is that I'm getting my work in here."

At least four players -- defensive ends Phillip Daniels and Renaldo Wynn, linebacker Marcus Washington and running back Clinton Portis -- attended yesterday but did not practice as they recover from offseason surgeries.

"You kind of feel helpless," said Washington, who had damaged cartilage and bone spurs shaved from his left hip. "It looks like I'm just going to be a coach on the sidelines."

Meantime, players seemed excited to get started. Offensive linemen Randy Thomas and Chris Samuels both said that quarterback Jason Campbell seems much improved. "He looks good," Thomas said. "I think he's much more comfortable. I'm looking forward to seeing him out there."

Before the voluntary workouts began, Campbell had wanted to work out with wide receivers Antwaan Randle El, Santana Moss and Brandon Lloyd, but the dates never materialized. Moss said he hoped to reschedule with Campbell during the six weeks between the mandatory June minicamp and the start of training camp July 27.

Whether that happens, players expect associate head coach Al Saunders's offense to be more successful in its second season.

"The sky's the limit with this system. You just have to buy into it," said running back Derrick Blaylock, who played under Saunders in Kansas City and was signed to the roster on Tuesday. "If you buy into it, study and learn it can take you a long way."

Leading up to both the NFL scouting combine and the draft, the Redskins appeared to be leaning toward drafting a defensive lineman. The line was not dominant in 2006, producing just 13 sacks, and was susceptible to the run, especially the seam between right end and defensive tackle.

But the Redskins drafted safety LaRon Landry with the sixth overall pick, giving the line another chance to prove itself.

"Mark it down. This is going to be my best year," said defensive end Demetric Evans, who will see more work as Wynn and Daniels recover. "Everybody has a good feeling about the defense being more aggressive, so I'm ready to just let it fly."

Safety Sean Taylor and cornerback Shawn Springs are notable no-shows at opening day for the Redskins first offseason organized activities Tuesday.

I wouldn't worry about this right now, I'm not sure why everyone thinks ST doesn't want to be here. He's gotta bunch of his Miami buddies here, plus the organization treated him pretty well last year when he was going through all his legal problems. I think Taylor knows he will get paid, and let's not speculate too much until a coach mentions something about it. The important thing is that ST shows up for minicamp.

What would make anyone think ST wants out of Washington? The man wants to be paid. He wanted a new contract a week after he signed his rookie contract when he saw Winslow's contract. We made Arch the highest paid safety last year and he sucked. Now we are going to pay Landry more than him. We should give Taylor a nice new contract and Cooley also.

You can't blame ST. He watches AA come in last year and the highest paid safety, and he's a bum. Then he watches the skins draft another safety knowing that Landry is going to be making BigTime money.

ST is angry. I bet thats one of the reasons he played so poorly last year. The bitterness was eating him up. I think he wants out of Washington.

Who let you out of your cage?

:)

Who let you out of your cage?

:)

heh heh heh.

Seriously though. I'm sure ST will be there soon. He underachieved last year. WHy? I have no idea, but holding out after a year where you gave up more touchdowns than any other safety in the league is hardly the time to hold out.

I'm sure he wants a big fat raise, especially after seeing other safeties on his own team make more money than him. But now's not the time, and even knucklehead Rosenhaus should know that.

As far as my cage? Man, you can only take so much tr1 and bubba.

Sometimes you just have fly like a bird and be FREE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As far as my cage? Man, you can only take so much tr1 and bubba.

Sometimes you just have fly like a bird and be FREE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wait did anyone force you to come to Redskin message board and post ridiculous comments :whoknows:

besides I'm everywhere :movefast:

Guest RideorDieChic

I think this is being made into something that it really isn't. Skins fan are notorious for speculating and sensationalizing minor occurence.

Granted ST has justifiable reasons to be up-in-arms about his salary/contract in comparison with what AA received and what LL will most likely get. So, hell yeah he has a right to be discontent - to be honest. In spite of that, I still don't think he is that type of guy to fold his hands, pouting and not wanting to play ball. (if he is really that pissed) Sean Taylor seems more like the type that would show up and not say more than what is necessary. Then take his frustrations out on the field. And BTW, I don't think he is mad about anything dealing with Landry.

Sean is hood, resentment about his contract will most likely be vented on the field against opponents. Wideouts, RBs and TE are going to WISH Taylor did receive his contract extention and a pay increase. There is no doubt in my mind that he will show up ready TO PLAY BALL, so ya'll can stop sensationalizing and blowing things up.:laugh:

Redskins |

Redskins | Lloyd elects to take time off

Tue, 8 May 2007 17:21:18 -0700

Joseph White, of The Associated Press, reports Washington Redskins WR Brandon Lloyd is taking advantage of head coach Joe Gibbs' new policy that made offseason workouts voluntary. Mandatory minicamp begins in June.

I think if any returning redskin from last year needs to have his butt at the OTA's it's Lloyd. He was paid very well and underachieved last season. I'm sure his aspiring rap career is much more important though :doh:

How would any of us feel working our a++ of for an employer to have an unproven guy come in and make more money right off the bat?
This has happened in every single organisation I have ever worked for. Do you really think this is unusual?? I accept the point that you would expect Taylor's fourth year deal to be worth more Landry's first, but normal organisations don't give pay-rises just for being there another year!

This is no big deal.

Although I'm really not surprised to hear that Springs isn't around. When your team includes you in about a half dozen trade scenarios (assuming that what I read about that subject is accurate), then your motivation to show up at OTA's - in the 1st week of May, no less - might be diminished somewhat, to put it mildly.

I agree 100%. The 'Skins won't honor your contract, try to make you restructure, then shop your services as trade bait numerous times....YUP, that'd sure make me feel wanted... No need to attend "voluntary" OTAs as long as Springs is getting in his work at home. Now come mini-camp, that's a whole different story... Think about...he's still considered the 'Skins best CB, and they treat him like that..No wonder Champ didn't want any part of negotiating after awhile, nor did APierce, etc... Sure they left for greed, but they also saw how this great negotiating team of Snyder-Cerrato works, and I think they decided they wanted no more part of that duo.

I agree 100%. The 'Skins won't honor your contract, try to make you restructure, then shop your services as trade bait numerous times....YUP, that'd sure make me feel wanted...

Maybe he should feel guilty about not earning that money last year.

The contract is for the team to pay him for playing football for the Washington Redskins. If he can't meet his side of the deal and actually stay on the field for us, you can't blame the team for wanting to be cautious about tying up so much money in a player that is increasingly injury prone.

And if you're going to be injured, at least shut up and be a good locker room guy. Don't give creedence to worthless hatchet job articles like that Friend piece.

I thought it was pretty much settled that Gibbs was going to let guys do more of their own thing this year and that the Miami guys like to work out at the U? Why wouldn't ST be missing for this very reason?

Dude stop making sense. The trolls have spoken: Taylor is holding out.

Sean Taylor and Sean Springs are excused. Sean always plays hard and Springs needs to avoid any extra wear and tear. Lloyd however needs to have his ass here unless he wants to be relegated to special teams.

Lloyd is at OTA's. I saw him walking with Moss on the Redskins.com video yesterday.

You guys know that they have to justify Kelli's salary during the offseason when nothing is going on, so they have her "speculate" about certain things to gain interest from the audience. Nothing to worry about. Landry hasn't been paid yet, so why would ST be mad already.

I'm a proponent for keeping player salaries hush, hush. In nearly 99% of the workplaces, no employee is supposed to know what others are making. This needs to go into professional sports. Let the agents and teams worry about the money and keep it out of the public spotlight.

Archived