Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sean Taylor and Shawn Springs absent from OTAs...

wilbur58z

Kelli Johnson isn't stirring anything up.

Other than Taylor skipping them in 2005, this is the first time two Redskins players have voluntarily skipped the opening of OTAs like this. Gibbs places a ton of importance on these things.

They are "voluntary", but the guys are expected to be there, especially since Gibbs gave them extra time off.

Unless they've cleared it with the Redskins for some reason, I'm sure Gibbs and company are not happy about this.

That sucks. Hopefully the front office does the right thing and makes sure Taylor gets a nice long extension. Landry should not come in and make more than Taylor. I get the impression Taylor doesnt really like being here anyways. Any chance he has to be away from Redskin park, he's gone. I dont like that.

Remember, a lot of guys complained last year about how they didn't want to work out in Ashburn and wanted to work out somewhere else. I remember Daniels and Wynn being two of them. I honestly don't care because we know Taylor and Springs will be there on Sundays in the Fall when it counts.

Remember, a lot of guys complained last year about how they didn't want to work out in Ashburn and wanted to work out somewhere else. I remember Daniels and Wynn being two of them. I honestly don't care because we know Taylor and Springs will be there on Sundays in the Fall when it counts.

The OTAs are not the workout part of the offseason.

In the first three offseasons under Gibbs, the team had the players come in a month or so earlier to work out in the facility under the trainers.

That is the part they skipped this year, and the part the players had complained about. They wanted to work out on their own. So Gibbs granted them that, even though a lot of the players still worked out in Ashburn anyway.

The OTAs are when the team gets on the practice fields and start working through the schemes together and doing all the mental work.

Gibbs very much expects them here for that.

When Taylor skipped them in 2005, GW made him 3rd string safety in training camp because he didn't know what they had worked through during the OTAs.

Taylor was going through the lead up to his trial before it was settled. That's why he missed it, and the 'Skins were cool with it.

Unless there's some reason they know about, I doubt they're cool with it this year...

Didn't Sean miss several OTA's last year as well? Pure speculation on KJ's part as to the reason.....
He was still finishing the trial stuff up though I'm pretty sure. I mean this could just be rumor, I'm not sure how she'd already know after the first day who's missing OTA's for what reason, but on the other hand, Taylor's agent IS Rosenhaus, and although his contract really doesn't expire for awhile yet, I could see him wanting some bigger money now rather than later.

So how is it that this reporter is privy to exact information on why they are missing the OTA's? Are they really that buddy buddy with the players they tell them something no one else knows(and stuff that is potentialy controversial).

Or perhaps Kelli is just blowing smoke.

This is no big deal.

Although I'm really not surprised to hear that Springs isn't around. When your team includes you in about a half dozen trade scenarios (assuming that what I read about that subject is accurate), then your motivation to show up at OTA's - in the 1st week of May, no less - might be diminished somewhat, to put it mildly.

I think these guys are smart. Look what OTA's did for us last year. All that extra work and no one knew the offense and the best players were not put on the field on defense. So if I were a player, OTA's would stand for "Outta Town Antics". See you when training camp starts.

:doh::doh::doh:

Not what we needed to hear... I know many on hear want to dump Springs but he is without a doubt our Best CB. Yes I know he was hurt/didn't play most of the year LAST YEAR, but that is a key factor IMO why we went from top 10 D two years in a row to bottom feeder on D last year. Couple his potential loss w/Taylor skipping out/disgruntled this does not make for a good offseason especially without adding to the D-Line...

I have no problem with players missing OTA's as long as they're doing the work on their own as I'm sure Sean is. Players prer in different ways and maybe this is what Sean needs to do to get him ready for this season.....Look at Sapp...He worked out in Miami and came into camp 45 pounds lighter....Lets wait til mini-camp before we jump all over this. If he doesn't show up for that then its a different story....

Archived