Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So, what is the deal with Lott?

@DCGoldPants

Lott's remarks on Thurmond an echo of 1980

NAACP presses GOP senator to resign from leadership post

WASHINGTON (CNN) --With incoming Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott facing calls from the NAACP to give up his post for praising segregationist candidate Strom Thurmond's 1948 presidential bid, a report from more than two decades ago shows he expressed similar sentiments at that time.

"You know, if we had elected this man 30 years ago, we wouldn't be in the mess we are today," Lott was quoted as saying in an article that appeared November 3, 1980, in The Clarion-Ledger, a Jackson, Mississippi, newspaper.

Those comments came at a Jackson campaign rally for Ronald Reagan and followed a speech by Thurmond, who praised the platform that would soon put Reagan in the White House.

"Clearly Sen. Lott was expressing his support for Ronald Reagan's policies of smaller government and fiscal responsibilities," a statement released by Lott's office late Tuesday said.

Even before the Mississippi Republican's 1980 comment came to light, black lawmakers labeled as inadequate the incoming Senate majority leader's apology for his more recent comment about Thurmond. The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People called on him to give up his leadership post.

In comments Thursday at Thurmond's 100th birthday party, Lott -- who sprinkled his tribute with quips and jokes -- noted that his home state was one of four Thurmond carried in his 1948 campaign.

"We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years either," Lott said.

Lott issued a written apology Monday evening for his most recent comment.

"A poor choice of words conveyed to some the impression that I embraced the discarded policies of the past," Lott said. "Nothing could be further from the truth, and I apologize to anyone who was offended by my statement."

Incoming Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle -- who Monday expressed sympathy for Lott, saying he believed he misspoke -- issued a written statement Tuesday, stressing his condemnation of Lott's words. One prominent conservative group also criticized Lott, but the White House signaled its support for the Republican leader.

The criticism of Lott mounted despite his apology and the fact that the comment in question drew little fire from Democrats after it was initially delivered last week.

Kweisi Mfume, NAACP president and a former congressman, said Lott's comments represent "the kind of callous, calculated, hateful bigotry that has no place in the halls of the Congress."

"Sen. Lott should resign from the position of majority leader-elect to make way for another member of the Republican Party whose moral compass is pointed toward improving race relations and not dredging up this nation's poor, polarizing performance of the past," Mfume said in a written statement Tuesday.

Watts defends Lott

But outgoing U.S. Rep. J.C. Watts, the only black Republican in the House, said Lott's critics were exploiting his remarks for political gain.

"I think he went too far, as he said to me today," said Watts of Oklahoma. "I think that if he had to do it over again he would say them differently. But, no, I don't see them as racially motivated."

At the White House, presidential spokesman Ari Fleischer said Lott continues to have President Bush's confidence "unquestionably" as the GOP leader in the Senate.

"I think that from the president's point of view, Sen. Lott has addressed this issue," Fleischer said. "He has apologized for his statement, and the president understands that is the final word from Sen. Lott."

But some black Democratic lawmakers said Lott's apology didn't go far enough.

U.S. Rep. Elijah Cummings, D-Maryland, the newly elected leader of the Congressional Black Caucus, said Lott initially appeared not to understand why his comments were offensive

"I'm very concerned and very upset that anybody who would issue such a statement would be in the leadership of this nation or the Senate," Cummings said. "We are still trying to resolve exactly what action we will take, but guarantee, action will be taken."

Another Congressional Black Caucus member, U.S. Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Texas, said more white leaders -- "including my good friend President Bush" -- need to condemn Lott's remarks. "This sends us into a very wrong direction as we begin the 108th Congress," she said.

Lott spokesman Ron Bonjean said Tuesday the Republican leader "made a sincere apology and stands by it, and it should speak for itself."

Daschle issues new statement

Lott's written apology Monday evening followed an earlier one in which he said his comments "were not an endorsement of [Thurmond's] positions of over 50 years ago, but of the man and his life." Neither statement explained what Lott meant by his reference to "all these problems."

At the time of his presidential candidacy, Thurmond had broken with the Democratic Party to oppose civil rights for blacks. Thurmond eventually switched to the Republican Party, moved away from his segregationist position and went on to become the Senate's longest-serving member. The South Carolina senator is retiring when his term ends in January.

Lott even took some hits from allies in the conservative movement as Family Research Council President Ken Connor said Lott had done "considerable" damage to GOP efforts to woo black voters.

"Now we do not believe that Sen. Lott is a racist," Connor said in a statement. "But such thoughtless remarks -- and the senator has an unfortunate history of such gaffes -- simply reinforce the suspicion that conservatives are closet racists and secret segregationists."

The Wall Street Journal condemned the comments as well, saying Lott "played right into the hands of opponents who are eager to paint the Republican Party's Southern ascendancy as nothing more than old-fashioned bigotry."

But Watts said critics could easily call for the resignation of U.S. Sen. Robert Byrd, D-West Virginia, the chamber's senior Democrat, because he has admitted he once belonged to the Ku Klux Klan.

Byrd has said joining the Klan, which he did in 1942, was a mistake.

Daschle had said Monday he accepted Lott's explanation that he did not mean to be offensive.

But U.S. Rep. Maxine Waters, D-California, said Daschle "moved too quickly to explain Mr. Lott."

"It is not enough to simply defend or to explain these kind of statements, and then at election time talk about why black Americans should turn out in large numbers," Waters said.

On Tuesday evening, Daschle released a written statement, this time highlighting his disagreement with Lott's comments.

"His words were offensive to those who believe in freedom and equality in America," the South Dakota Democrat said, adding he still believed that Lott did not mean to condone segregation.

‘Lott should ask Alabama-born Condoleezza Rice — whose childhood friends were killed in a church bombing — if she believes her life would have been better if Strom Thurmond had become president.’

— ROBERT GEORGE

Black Republican

Im actually happy that Daschle is defending him.

He said nothing wrong. It wasn't racist, it wasn't derogatory.

Kweisi and the NAACP are silent when a Democrat makes similar statements. (Clintons praising of a segregationalist, or Robert Byrds membership in the KKK). Or keep silent when someone like Henry Belafonte attacks Rice and Powell.

Lott has explained his statement and apologized (although he shouldnt have) to those who took it out of context.

The race baiting and political agenda of the NAACP is nauseating. The members of the congressional black caucus should be ashamed.

Well, if Joe Sixpack says what Lott said, it may not be a big deal. But since the incoming Senate Majority Leader said it, it automatically is a big deal. Lott should have known better than to say stuff like that. He represents 3 million Mississippians and 51 GOP Senators...he has to watch it when he opens his mouth.

As for the double standard, well, there's hardly any argument. Byrd is a disgrace.

Bufford, the mess we're in is that we are overtaxed and the federal government is bloated and unable to fulfill even basic functions without waste. Strom Thurmond's statements when he was running for President essentially said no laws or guns from the federal government can bring the negro into our homes, our churches or our schools. He was basically saying that the federal government can't mandate acceptance and love. The government can't legislate and force someone into a person's heart.

It's a statement that remains completely true. Now, Thurmond came off his views on segregation some 40 years ago. And, to suggest that all he stood for was segregation is laughable. The man believed in no federal taxes and smaller federal government. And if he'd won, and we'd adopted his belief, we wouldn't be in the mess we're in today.

I just changed my mind. New info I just found out.

The Dixiecrat playform when Thurmond ran for President had 1 issue. It was antiintegration. Therefor, the ONLY way Lott's comments could be interpreted is that he supports the idea of Govt mandated segregation.

It's deplorable. The GOP and it's pundits in the media should be calling him out on this not rushing to defend him. The double standard still exists and the NAACP and black caucus will still induct CLinton into the black hall of fame rather than condemming him in the same manner, but the GOP needs stop stooping to their level and call Lott out on this. At the LEAST he should resign his leadership position.I wouldnt call for his resignation because his constituents need to make that choice.

Kilmer, I think Lott was simply trying to say something nice about Thurmond at a party. He just picked the wrong thing to say. I am certainly no fan of Lott's but I seriously doubt he meant that he wished segregation had been allowed to continue in this country.

Escpecially considering the fact that Lott has repeatedly apologized and explained this himself, I think Gore, Mfume and the NAACP are overreacting.

C'mon guys. It was Spermin' Thurmond's 100th Birthday party, not some political event. Lott was just toasting the guy, not endorsing anything.

Dumb thing to slip out, but face it - if somebody's every word becomes fodder for ridicule and micro-inspection, he's gonna inevitably make some gaffes. Lott didn't mean to say he wished segregation had won out, he was just trying to make a 100 year old geezer feel good.

I thought the same until I researched the dixiecrat party. What else COULD he have meant by it?

Of course Kweisi et al are overreacting. It's all they know how to do.

My beef is with the GOP not stepping up and calling him out. It was wrong to say it, and instead of acting like the Democrats, they are rallying the troops to defend the undefendable. I expect and demand more from them.

I am a minority and a republican. I believe that Trent Lott is not a racist; he was just trying to give a compliment to a man on his birthday. With that being said I think this hurts us. I have to agree with Ken Connor on this.

(Ken Connor, president of the conservative Family Research Council, also asked if Republicans should ``look to a new Senate leader who is not encumbered by this unnecessary baggage.''

Connor said he didn't believe Lott was a racist, but ``his thoughtless remarks ... simply reinforce the suspicion that conservatives are closet racists and secret segregationists.'')

This only reinforces my belief that there is a media bias in the mainstream media. Where were they when Clinton gave praise to his mentor a known segregationalist( the name slips) just one month ago.

Originally posted by Kilmer17

Im actually happy that Daschle is defending him.

He said nothing wrong. It wasn't racist, it wasn't derogatory.

Kweisi and the NAACP are silent when a Democrat makes similar statements. (Clintons praising of a segregationalist, or Robert Byrds membership in the KKK). Or keep silent when someone like Henry Belafonte attacks Rice and Powell.

Lott has explained his statement and apologized (although he shouldnt have) to those who took it out of context.

The race baiting and political agenda of the NAACP is nauseating. The members of the congressional black caucus should be ashamed.

Kilmer,

Lott should have thought about what he was saying. He should have apologized and he did. I for one accept it and would forgive him for it. There are people on the left which are seeking political gain out of this for sure. I don't fault them either because that's what you get when you sign up as a politician. Shame for politicians? You are asking too much from either side!

For you to say it was taken out of context is just as bad as the left. What context did he mean what he said? Help me out.

Originally posted by Art

Bufford, the mess we're in is that we are overtaxed and the federal government is bloated and unable to fulfill even basic functions without waste. Strom Thurmond's statements when he was running for President essentially said no laws or guns from the federal government can bring the negro into our homes, our churches or our schools. He was basically saying that the federal government can't mandate acceptance and love. The government can't legislate and force someone into a person's heart.

It's a statement that remains completely true. Now, Thurmond came off his views on segregation some 40 years ago. And, to suggest that all he stood for was segregation is laughable. The man believed in no federal taxes and smaller federal government. And if he'd won, and we'd adopted his belief, we wouldn't be in the mess we're in today.

Art,

Even you don't believe what you just wrote. To attempt to spin Strom Thurmond's '48 campaign as anything but racist is laughable! He wanted states rights so he could maintain segregation and deep down you know it! I now understand what the NAACP is saying when I hear people say "Oh I'm sorry but I don't really mean it because what I said was right"

And you Republicans never understand how come you get so little of the black vote in this country. Well it's thoughts expressed openly in GOP circles similiar to ones posted in this thread by Art and others.

Originally posted by Kilmer17

I thought the same until I researched the dixiecrat party. What else COULD he have meant by it?

Of course Kweisi et al are overreacting. It's all they know how to do.

My beef is with the GOP not stepping up and calling him out. It was wrong to say it, and instead of acting like the Democrats, they are rallying the troops to defend the undefendable. I expect and demand more from them.

I guess I should read forward before replying Kilmer. My respect for you has just tripled!

I find it insane to call that a Republican circle when Clinton continues to prais e a former segregationist (name escapes me) and the Dems have the only former KKK member in the Senate. Add to that the southern Dems support for "southern heritage" and it's even more insane. The GOP was the FIRST administration to appoint a black man to a cabinet post. The first to promote a black women to a cabinet post. The only black man on the Supreme court was appointed by the GOP.

The Dems race bait and the black population buys it. I dont know why, but they do.

Archived