Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Draft Grades

2006Skins

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft07/insider/columns/story?columnist=kiper_jr_mel&id=2847594

http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/story?id=2854030

The skins get no respect...

Everyone wants to judge this years draft for the skins based on the amount of picks. I think the FO decided that for this years draft (since 4 of our 5 picks were in the 5-7 rounds) we needed to go with value picks. Get the best player at each pick.

It's obvious none of the mediots agreed.

The best grade I've seen is a C- and the only reason I can really see is based on the amount of picks. The # of picks I think is not a way to judge a draft.

I thought the skins did a great job of getting what we needed for depth and getting the best player.

Any thoughts?

I don't understand how you can grade drafts when none of the players have stepped foot into the NFL.

The Chicago Bears got a C- when they drafted Urlacher and Mike Brown.

Meanwhile, the Buffalo Bills got a B+ when they drafted:

1 26 Erik Flowers DE Arizona St.

2 58 Travares Tillman S Georgia Tech

3 89 Corey Moore OLB Virginia Tech

4 121 Avion Black WR Tennessee St.

5 156 Sammy Morris HB Texas Tech

6 194 Leif Larsen DT Texas-El Paso

7 233 Drew Haddad WR Buffalo

7 251 DaShon Polk OLB Arizona

Draft grades mean nothing.

the draft is not a popularity contest like some like to beleive. it is there to help your team. just cuzz a player is billed as the "best available" does not mean you should draft them. you draft based on team needs. we did not need any more help in the secondary. we upgraded that area with freeagents.

i just read the skins front story and the man himself said and i quote

" with the guys we added during free agency at corner, and drafting a saftey. ***HOPEFULLY**** we can play better/tighter coverage. that will force QB's to hold onto the ball. "

now, if the coaches know more than any fan could ever wish to have knowledge of this team-wise. then why use the word HOPEFULLY?

that does not sound like a coach that knows what is wrong with the team.

does it?

i mean, say something like. this will help, sound more sure when making those statments. you are the freaking coach! you need to be sure about your decisions! it is too easy to tear these statments apart. and it makes the coach look like he truley does not know what area we need help in.

i want to start a thread for predictions on what a run defense will end up ranking. 4.9 last year. are we gonna be better at stopping the run? but i am afraid of the NNT tag happy mods round these parts. we could not stop the run last year. wich led to safties playing close to LOS,a nd gettin beat deep. until we can stop the run, we will continue to get beat deep on thrid and short.

turning into a pessimist

yours truly

sbb

The best grade I've seen is a C- and the only reason I can really see is based on the amount of picks. The # of picks I think is not a way to judge a draft.

This isn't quite true. Many of the analysts are bashing the Redskins for taking a duplicate Taylor-like safety with the first pick instead of shoring up a huge area of need (Dline). This is a pretty fair critique, whether or not you agree with the pick. As for not having enough picks, considering we threw some of them away and got nothing, this too is fair to grade us on.

How can you grade the draft really?

We won't know how it really fares until the players get a chance to play.

We've been bashed but so has Philly for drafting a QB first and trading with Dallas.........so grades are BS

Plus, isn't the first few rounds about drafting BPA or impact players and not always the need if the BPA is much better than the player at the need spot?

Who really cares what they think anyway? I was against taking Landry at #6 for many reasons, but I thought our other picks were pretty good ones. Age is a issue at LB, with Rocky being the only young guy. Blades could easily be the air apparent to Lond Fletcher, and Santz, if he can put on some wieght could be a solid pro. That's really all you can ask for out of the 5th and 6th round. Then we got a QB with some good bloodlines. He's raw abut might turn out to be a decent backup with some coaching, and age was a big issue with our depth there. Then we picked up a big TE. Overall when you draft in the later rounds, you are not looking for starters, but for DEPTH. I think we got some depth, and youth at a couple positions that we didnt have alot of either. So I think the approach was a good one. Now, Landry is a different story in my opinion. Maybe the BPA, but honestly Safties are not a crucial position to have top 10 picks at, much less 2.

Draft grades mean nothing.

EXACTLY!!!

No one ever knows who will be good or not in the NFL. This is why there are so many "1st round busts" and "late round gems". I think if anything should be graded, it is the so called "experts" evaluations. Let's see how many "sure bets" flop and how many "reaches" excel in the NFL a couple of years from now. History shows that it happens quite a bit, yet we're always so intrigued by these grades right after the draft.

The top overall D talent and only "can't miss" on D in the draft

One of SI's ten steals in whosits Sartz

Gil Brant said Blades was the steal of the draft

A great QB prospect with years to groom and a pedigry

The blocking TE we have been lacking for 2 years.

I don't think we did so bad. At least I'm happy.

since we only had 5 picks, 2 of which were in the 6th round, i thought a C- from kiper was pretty good. that said i think its far to early to tell who had a good/bad draft. it takes a few years to be able to say who did well and who didnt.

I think you can tell earler than a couple of years to tell especially if you have injuries. Just look at the 2003 Patriots. They had a bunch of guys go down with injuries and didn't skip a beat with the guys who stepped in. It depends on who you have evaluating the talent.

Would anyone here honestly rate the Skins draft higher than a C?

We had one pick in the first 4 rounds. Further, we drafted 2 LBers, a QB and a TE(4 players at positions we are set with starters, so even we dont expect them to hit the field for at least 3 years). Historicaly, 5-7 rounders dont even start except for the rare exception, so why would you rail against common sense?

Would anyone here honestly rate the Skins draft higher than a C?

We had one pick in the first 4 rounds. Further, we drafted 2 LBers, a QB and a TE(4 players at positions we are set with starters, so even we dont expect them to hit the field for at least 3 years). Historicaly, 5-7 rounders dont even start except for the rare exception, so why would you rail against common sense?

Jordan Palmer wasn't a bad idea. Brunell is going to be gone at the end of next season. Todd Collins, prolly will either be a coach or gone. therefore, you get some youth at QB, and hope it turns into a Matt Schaub situation. Give Jordan palmer a hof coach to give him some tutelage and some other great coaches and he could be worth something to another team.

Linebackers? set with starters? MW is coming off injury, RM, is coming off injuries, LFB although he hasn't faced injuries, he is over 30, MW is 30, Lemar is old, we need some youth. LB are very very important to the GW scheme, even more so then dline, as pointed out by some great posts in other threads today. A young DE would have been nice, but hey, lets see where we are at after june 1st cuts

Prioleau, Fox, Doughty, Vincent, whoever the hell else is back there, is not what Sean Taylor needs.

Sean Taylor needs someone who is good in coverage, in this case, Landry, who is good in zone coverage, where Taylor's strength is man coverage, gives you a lot of flexibility. Figure that in with the fact we gave up more big plays, 20+ yards a play, then any other team in the league.

I absolutely agree that draft grades really don't mean jack. What really matters is how the players turn out down the road. I think, for the limited picks that we had at our disposal, we ended up doing fairly well and actually better than I was anticipating. I am really excited about the 2 LB's especially...and obviously Landry

Jordan Palmer wasn't a bad idea. Brunell is going to be gone at the end of next season. Todd Collins, prolly will either be a coach or gone. therefore, you get some youth at QB, and hope it turns into a Matt Schaub situation. Give Jordan palmer a hof coach to give him some tutelage and some other great coaches and he could be worth something to another team.

Linebackers? set with starters? MW is coming off injury, RM, is coming off injuries, LFB although he hasn't faced injuries, he is over 30, MW is 30, Lemar is old, we need some youth. LB are very very important to the GW scheme, even more so then dline, as pointed out by some great posts in other threads today. A young DE would have been nice, but hey, lets see where we are at after june 1st cuts

Prioleau, Fox, Doughty, Vincent, whoever the hell else is back there, is not what Sean Taylor needs.

Sean Taylor needs someone who is good in coverage, in this case, Landry, who is good in zone coverage, where Taylor's strength is man coverage, gives you a lot of flexibility. Figure that in with the fact we gave up more big plays, 20+ yards a play, then any other team in the league.

:applause:

I couldn't agree with you more

i hate draft grades. Like these so called experts know how well these players are going to be. I can't wait for C.Johnson to be a bust and hear everyones reactions.

I hate the draft and all this hooplah that comes with it.

and most of all i hate the ****ing redskins

pick on landry instead of 19 year old wonder child.

I agree, I saw a guy on Yahoo give us an 'F' mainly because we didn't have that many picks. That's really dumb, and it should be based on what you did with the picks you had. You've got remember a lot of these so called experts like Kiper make their living at this, so it's in their best interest to ridicule teams that don't have many picks. I agree though that we need to hold onto to our draft for next year, but let's be honest, a lot of these experts don't like Snyder, so until we win games and go to the playoffs they will continue to come down on us.

Archived