Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Hidden Gem"

edoghouston

I got blasted on here a few weeks ago about my man Greg Peterson not being drafted... I still say My Skins better take a look at him in the late rounds...

NCCU'S PETERSON TAGGED "HIDDEN GEM" IN NFL DRAFTfb06gp39.jpg DURHAM, NC -- North Carolina Central University has not had a player selected in the NFL draft since Robert Massey, who roamed the Eagles' secondary from 1985-88, was the 46th player taken in the 1989 draft. That is poised to change as NCCU defensive lineman Greg Peterson is being described as a "hidden gem" by reputable sources like USA Today, Fox Sports and Sports Illustrated (SI).

A 6-5, 286-pound native of Beulaville, N.C., Peterson had a monster 2006 season for NCCU, ranking 13th in the NCAA with 19.5 tackles for a loss (1.6 TFL per game), while adding a team-high two fumble recoveries. Peterson utilized brute strength, solid technique and distinct quickness to amass 7.5 sacks, another team-high, from his defensive tackle position in the Eagles' 4-3 defensive alignment. It is those assets, along with a 40-yard dash time of 4.73 seconds, that have NFL scouts, general managers and draft prognosticators projecting the Criminal Justice major as a sixth-seventh round pick.

According to the NFLDraftScout.com's prospect ratings on the Fox Sports web site, Peterson ranks as the 24th defensive end in the 2007 draft.

SI draft "guru" Tony Pauline says that Peterson is "moving up draft boards, after he ran in the mid 4.8s (in the 40-yard dash) and looked impressive during position drills."

D2football.com, the leading voice in Division II football, projects Peterson as a fifth-seventh round pick. According to their "Pro Hopefuls" section, Peterson "impressed in the CIAA title game and in recent workouts enough to merit a spot not only on the list but in the top 10 among Division II prospects overall. He has the size/speed combo to play DT or DE and even has a few scouts talking about OLB. Peterson is raw in his technique but his strength and speed have helped him dominate the Division II level at times. He has the strength to bull rush and the speed to chase down backs from behind. He is one of the fastest rising prospects since the NFL Combine."

During the 2006 season, Peterson, a graduate of East Duplin High School and transfer from Hinds Community College in Raymond, Mississippi, received a myriad of conference, regional and national awards.

He was voted All-Conference (Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association) First Team, Daktronics NCAA Division II All-Southeast Region Second Team and SBN Sports Black College All-America Team, as NCCU finished its perfect regular season en route to a No. 1 seed in the Division II playoffs.

With the aid of Peterson dominating the interior line, the Eagles were crowned Sheridan Broadcasting Network Black College Football National Champions for the first time in the 33-year history of the poll.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/gregpeterson.html

This guy is a Defensive End, for anyone who doesn't want to read through the article.

6'5" 286 lbs, nice dash time. I've always said that you can pick up great players at needed positions later in the draft. That's why at #6, we should take the best player available, unless it's a quarterback or running back.

Another one to look at if the Skins want to add quality depth at the TE spot is Kevin Boss from Western Oregon. I saw this kid play there and he never dropped a catch that went anywhere near his vicinity. He is IMO the second best TE in the draft behind Greg Olson. He would be a steal if still there in the 6th to 7th round and would be a solid backup to Cooley for years. Lots of scouts see him as the next Todd Heap. Here is his profile:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/boss_kevin

If the skins wants to add a good guard either in the 7th or sign one to the practice squad later, then they should look at Tyler Krieg from California (Duke). He was a 2-year starter at Duke then transferred his sr. year to Cal where he didn't get much playing time due to not being in the system long enough. He is probably in the top 5 most underrated players in the draft and might have been a top 10 guard had he stayed at Duke his sr yr. He went to the same high school as college football phenom from BYU RB Luke Staley http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_Staley and his hs coach said he could have more potential than Staley at his position. He is rated by Rivals.com as the 27th best guard in the draft but like I said probably is top 10.

Just my :2cents: on some hidden gems from out west.

Archived