Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why are Skins fans so soft?

boobiemiles

I wish people would start telling some of these so called fans and experts off. People act like this is not a storied franchise that is not only successful, but also willing to innovate in order to assertain that success. People act as though we never won a Superbowl before. If you ask me there is way to much wine and cheese eating fans for my taste. A friend of mine said it's pathetic how we allow Eagle, Giants, and Cowgirl fans disrespect us. And I'm starting to agree with him. We are 3 out of 4 in Superbowls, we have 3 coaches in the HoF. Yet in still we give credence to arguements that Art Monk isn't a HoF, but James Lofton is. When did James Lofton win a chip? Countless times I've come on this site and seen spineless chit chat about how the nah sayers are right....*uck them. Recently I've read about how bad our team is at drafting, yet SI gives us high marks for 1981, and if you look we've done well in later rounds in securing talent like Smoot, and Dockery. However there will be some fake bandwagon skins fan saying "Dan doesn't know what he's doing". Well I have some news for you, Dan is a hell of an owner. Gibbs is a great coach, and maybe we will start winning. Me I like to tell people that tell me my teams sucks, call me Patrick Roy, because like him I can't hear all the bs with two rings in my ears. Ok I'm out of time, Illl rant more tommorow.

I can't say I disagree. Lets keep the glass half full as this draft is going to go down as an awesome draft because we are going to acquire additional draft picks that will become starters for many years. Lets just say I have a crystal ball lying around here somewhere.

Um did you site 1981 in your post? It is 2007. Alot of us here were not alive/have no memory of anything positive except for our 2 playoff appearences.

We cannot live in the past. In the last 14 years

8 years under .500

No back to back season of 9+ wins

8 differen passing leaders

1 division title

Why should a team respect us for what happened in the 80's? When you haven't done anything for almost 2 decades, it's hard to demand respect and fear from your opponents.

Until we become a championship caliber team, we can't expect or consider ourselves to be entitled to respect. This a "once-storied" franchise at this point. And until we get rid of Snyder and bring in someone who will clean house and build a championship contender from the ground up, we won't get back to that prominence or demand respect.

Our front office made us a laughing stock. Pointing to the 80's doesn't change anything.

Here is an example. Lets say you are a company and in the 1980s you were top the market, turning huge profits each year. Then the 1990s came and your earnings started to sputter. In the last 14 years you were in the black only 2 times and in the red 12 times. On top of that 8 of the times you were in the very very very deep red, and you have never been ontop of your industry in the last 16 years. Would people still think you were a good company?

The team has been a joke and the fans should be mad about it. Especially those of us who actually witnessed the greatness that this team once was. They haven't been giving us any ammo to fend off the idiot fans of other teams over the past decade.

It's pretty bad that when you look at the facts that skinsn24 posted, it's all true. There is nothing in recent history that would be a fighting point in an arguement with a fan from another team... unless you're arguing with a Cardinals fan.

Am I proud that the Redskins have 3 Superbowl victories and a proud tradition? Yes

Am I sad and angry that it's currently being tarnished with 14 years of hell? Yes

If you want to live in the 80s... don't forget your parachute pants.

Here is an example. Lets say you are a company and in the 1980s you were top the market, turning huge profits each year. Then the 1990s came and your earnings started to sputter. In the last 14 years you were in the black only 2 times and in the red 12 times. On top of that 8 of the times you were in the very very very deep red, and you have never been ontop of your industry in the last 16 years. Would people still think you were a good company?

This is the best way of putting it. But I do give credit to the OP, Dan isn't a bad owner, and he tries his best to put out there. There have been a lot of messups, but teams that try to be innovative have shortcomings. Hopefully we can straighten up the next few years, draft well, and build on that.

As an "old timer" I try to respect the fact that alot of today's fans have only seen 99' and 05' as our best years.

The memories of the Glory Years are something I treasure but I am really eager to see us in a Super Bowl again.

As far as not letting fans disrespect us, I really have no problem with it. It's not like I'm going to go beat some guy up beacuse he says his Cowboys have more SB wins than us...what's true is true...not to mention most trash talk comes over the internet.

I like being public enemy #1...imagine how it will all get once the best owner in sports, Yes, our Daniel Snyder brings us a couple more trophies. I can't freakin' wait!

To whom it may concern: So what were still living on the past. And last time I checked, the Skins won the SB in 1991, that's not a life time ago. It's also about carrying tradition, and that's what's wrong with you youngsters, no respect for tradition and history.

And if I can recall, there are teams that never won a SB let alone attended one as an Organization.

It's all about tradition baby, the washington D.C area have many storied traditions.

Look at other cities with teams that haven't really won anything, especially in football. And i'm living in a city right now that would love to have some memories of SB wins under the belt (Houston).

Look at cities like NY and Atlanta. The knicks haven't really won much in some time, but they still carry the tradition to the utmost. And must I say Hawks or even Falcons. Just because the Falcons have Vick doesn't mean they accomplished anything when it comes to lifting up SB trophies.

Get over it cry babies and start wearing some Jock straps. Who doesn't want instant gratification. But in this day and age, it's hard to win anything with so much talent and interest from all over the country in all sports. You know how long I waited for Georgetown to get back in the mix, and they finally did and will continue IMO. But it's was still Georgetown with a very deep tradition and memories of days during the Ewing era. Even NY has memories of that because they drafted Ewing but never won a championship with him. But they still love Ewing and the Knicks.

That's what's wrong with some of you younger guys. you want everything handed to you now days and no loyalty. But your time will eventually come when the skins once again get back to the top and you will have something to remember as you grow and get older. But sometimes it's that much sweeter when you came through hard times. And if you can't handle the hard times then IMO, your a bandwagon fan.

And if that's the case, then that's you problem (move).

Soft is one way to put it. I think it would be better described as liking to wallow in their own misery. They'll sit there and take the abuse from other fans because for some reason it makes them feel better. Plus the trash talk is not nearly as bad as the pain they willingly inflict on themselves regularly.

Why should a team respect us for what happened in the 80's? When you haven't done anything for almost 2 decades, it's hard to demand respect and fear from your opponents.

Until we become a championship caliber team, we can't expect or consider ourselves to be entitled to respect. This a "once-storied" franchise at this point. And until we get rid of Snyder and bring in someone who will clean house and build a championship contender from the ground up, we won't get back to that prominence or demand respect.

Our front office made us a laughing stock. Pointing to the 80's doesn't change anything.

"Once-storied" is a hell of a lot more than some teams in the league.

I can't say I disagree. Lets keep the glass half full as this draft is going to go down as an awesome draft because we are going to acquire additional draft picks that will become starters for many years. Lets just say I have a crystal ball lying around here somewhere.

Here's to keeping it half full!:cheers:

We dont fight with Eagles/Giants/Cowboys fans about how good are team is RIGHT NOW because we know they are right, and unlike Eagles/Giants/Cowboys fans we arent idiots. Any idiot can be a jerk no matter how wrong they are. Redskins fans are merely high character individuals(for the most part) that realize how they act is a reflection of the fanbase. Perhaps you dont like that, but I ask you this, is Joe Gibbs to soft? Why isnt he bashing the Eagles/Giants/Cowboys every day? Are you about to tell me you think Joe Gibbs is worthless?

We dont let fans of other teams disrespect us at all, the team does. Yet, year in and year out of failure on the field, the fans are there to root on the team with more vigor than Eagles/Giants/Cowboys fans can muster in good years. Thats a true fan. I hardly call selling out every game regardless of team performance being "soft".

Ok, I wont be soft on this one...This thread is a load of crap. Beat down your straw man and be proud of yourself, but really, I dont see the point.

P.S. On the subject of true fans. Most people call people "bandwagoners" if they dont think the Redskins are going to win the superbowl every year. Yet, how "true" are fans that only want to root for the Redskins as long as they are winners? What about the fans that root for the Redskins, and watch the games, believing and knowing that they have no shot. Isnt that what being a "true" fan is all about?

Um did you site 1981 in your post? It is 2007. Alot of us here were not alive/have no memory of anything positive except for our 2 playoff appearences.

We cannot live in the past. In the last 14 years

8 years under .500

No back to back season of 9+ wins

8 differen passing leaders

1 division title

This is what I wanted to say. Just because you're a fan of a team doesn't mean you have to become ignorant to some of the problems that the team has. Yeah, things were a lot better 15 years ago and we haven't done much since then so I think the critisism is appropriate.

Yeah it sucks when you're a fan on a losing team, but I'm all for the skins whether its win or lose. And I know one of these years we're gonna break it wide open and win another bowl, and then hopefully the others will shut up.

I don't argue over HOF crap because I honestly don't know enough about the past to really make comments. All I know is what I've seen in the last 10 years that I've been a fan.

We are a storied franchise so all that chatter about what have they DONE can go back to any year.

What I don't like is people living in the past, forget last season...Colts fans have bragging rights until they are eliminated or loose to a team in the SB. there is only one winner every year...winning divisional titles, etc, etc...means nothing to me I want SB rings, I want to celebrate in late Jan/Feb...I don't want to talk about what my team did last year or hear someone else talk about it, unless they have a fat SB ring to show for it

is there a set time interval for threads like this?

it has been, is, and will always continue to be ****ing ridiculous to call a critical fan a 'bandwagon fan' or not a true fan.

if you like danny boy so much, why dont you listen to his own words that are often quoted:

"i dont want to win the super bowl this year - i want to win the super bowl every year"

the past is not good enough. unfortunately, even for a fan, it will always be 'waht have you done for me lately' b/c losing is no fun

me too. i.e. every year we dont win the super bowl, i will not be completely satisfied. sure, there are years that are fulfulling (i.e. gibbs act II, scene II), but it is almost comical to think that some poeple are willing to put such blind faith in an organization whose current personel has yet to prove they know what it takes to win in today's game. gibbs is a legend. i love joe gibbs. i appreciate joe gibbs. but right now we are not winning, and i want him to change his ways so that we can.

tgijef

I wish people would start telling some of these so called fans and experts off. People act like this is not a storied franchise that is not only successful, but also willing to innovate in order to assertain that success. People act as though we never won a Superbowl before. If you ask me there is way to much wine and cheese eating fans for my taste. A friend of mine said it's pathetic how we allow Eagle, Giants, and Cowgirl fans disrespect us. And I'm starting to agree with him. We are 3 out of 4 in Superbowls , we have 3 coaches in the HoF...............

Actually, the dolphins beat us in, what was it....71, 72? So we're 3 of 5!

I do not know of this disrespect you are talking about. Yes, the sportscasters do not really love this team. I do not think they really love any team. We just pay more attention to their negative comments, because we are looking and listening for comments regarding the Redskins. We also look for comments regarding other NFC east teams, because that is what we are most interested in. I think it is subconcious. Therefore, I think our perception is skewed. I have friends that are fans of opposing NFC East teams, and we are always respectful of each other. Yeah, we talk smack, but you are supposed to.

The '87 SuperBowl is the first I can remember. I even remember watching Jay Schroeder. So, the majority of the time I have rooted for this team, we have been losers. When you lose and make personnel decisions the way we do then you are going to get your fare share of criticism. I am not going to whine, cry, and protest against the people that root against our team. I am not going to start some fight because an Eagles fan is being nasty to me. This is why I have Sunday ticket. So I can stay in the comfort of my own home and enjoy the team I have always loved.

I think Skins fans just need patience. Good times will come. We have a great past and I beleive we have the correct ownerw while moving into the future. He will figure it out. Remember, he is a fan too. He has always been a fan! He wants to win! I really beleive that this team is on the right track. This Gibbs team plays a heck of a lot tougher than many other teams we have had in the past sixteen years.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but you should always support your team!! Even when they do things that you think are retarded. If not, then you are not a fan and you should stopped pretending to be one.

If the players think as negatively about this team as some of the fans do, then they will never win anything. Negativity wears off on everyone. Hang around a really negative person for one day and gauge how you feel at the end of that day.

Support your team!!!!

Archived