Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If the Redskins really want a WR in this draft...

illone

If the Skins are targeting a WR, we need Dwayne Jarrett, not CJ. An athletic red zone guy who can catch the fade, and who won't require future draft pick compensation. His 40 time is less than desirable (4.6 range) but the exact same thing happened to Anquan Boldin. He might even slip into the 2nd round, but if we somehow make the trade with NE for their two 1st roudners, this guy would be a great selection with one of them.

Regardless, this guy is a star in the making. He is everything the world thought Mike Williams would be, and more. He SHATTERED Pac-10 records for TD's in his career, and he was only a JR last season. He is the prototype possession receiver. Tall, athletic, and will catch anything in his vicinity. But don't take my word for it, watch the tape;).

Check him out:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=161084

Highlights:

This is not a "we should draft a WR" thread. But, if we do, this guy is the real deal. A perfect guy to line up opposite Moss.

maybe round 4 if we get a pick there....rather see S, OG, DL first

Of course:).

I'm just saying IF the Skins really are looking to draft a WR (which I doubt they are) this is the guy to take.

Round 4? No way he slips down that far.

You have to take into consideration who this guy was racking stats up against. Aside from USC, no team in the Pac 10 has won a national title in 66 years. Washington split one with Miami in 1991, 16 years ago. But no team has won an outright title there in 66 years.

The level of competiton is a joke. It is the same story with receivers in the little 10 conference. It is why Williams, Rogers, Desmond Howard and Braylon Edwards types always bust out.

I want us to draft the "thrill" Jason Hill from Washington State http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/wr/jasonhill.html

But that's just me.

He's a fantastic player, and set some school records of his own (32 TDs I think). But, we don't need another burner type WR. We have Moss, Randle El, and to a lesser extent, brandon Lloyd. All three are in the 6 foot range, and have outside speed.

If we were to add a WR, which again I don't really feel is a legit possibility, it's gotta be a possession guy like Jarrett.

:)

maybe round 4 if we get a pick there....rather see S, OG, DL first

he's going early rd2 at the latest. right now they're talking about the cowpukes taking him with their #1. believe me...he is not going later than the first round, especially the way Ginn Jr. is dropping right now.

he's going early rd2 at the latest. right now they're talking about the cowpukes taking him with their #1. believe me...he is not going later than the first round, especially the way Ginn Jr. is dropping right now.

I hope the Cowboys don't pick up Jarrett.

:doh:

You have to take into consideration who this guy was racking stats up against. Aside from USC, no team in the Pac 10 has won a national title in 66 years. Washington split one with Miami in 1991, 16 years ago. But no team has won an outright title there in 66 years.

The level of competiton is a joke. It is the same story with receivers in the little 10 conference. It is why Williams, Rogers, Desmond Howard and Braylon Edwards types always bust out.

:laugh:

Big ten recievers and national titles have nothing to do with this conversation.

Utah plays SDSU and BYU every year , and I'd say Steve Smith is a pretty good pro receiver, wouldn't you? The level of competition argument only goes so far. Does that mean SEC receivers are the best? :laugh:

It is the same story with receivers in the little 10 conference. It is why Williams, Rogers, Desmond Howard and Braylon Edwards types always bust out.
HAHAHAHHAHAH

Comeon man. Your ACC trip has gone to far. Braylon Edwards a bust? Hardly. He was money once healthly last year. a Star? No not yet.

I mean no need to list:

Chad Johnson (same draft class as ACC star Rod Gardner)

Lee Evans (5th in yards this past year)

T.J. Housh

Joey Galloway (Pretty good NFL carear)

Terry Glenn (Same as above)

Plaxico Burress (Not too shabby)

Just pointing out that your arguement is flawed and based on a bias. Does the ACC produce great WR talant as well. Yes.

Who was the last CB to win the hiesman? Just wondering :cool:

:laugh:

Big ten recievers and national titles have nothing to do with this conversation.

Utah plays SDSU and BYU every year , and I'd say Steve Smith is a pretty good pro receiver, wouldn't you? The level of competition argument only goes so far. Does that mean SEC receivers are the best? :laugh:

:laugh: Remember what I told you yesterday.. East Coast Bias.... :rolleyes:

If it isnt a player in the SEC, he's crap :jerk:

:laugh: Remember what I told you yesterday.. East Coast Bias.... :rolleyes:

If it isnt a player in the SEC, he's crap :jerk:

I love the SEC but man, you gotta give the Pac-10 credit. Especially lately. There are some beast players coming out of that conference. Reggie Bush anyone?

Wait until next year. Oregon has two studs who will be coming out in the draft. Jaison Williams is a 6'5" receiver who is 240 and runs 4.36, and Jon Stewart is 5'11" 230 lb Rb who runs 4.35 range.

I love the SEC but man, you gotta give the Pac-10 credit. Especially lately. There are some beast players coming out of that conference. Reggie Bush anyone?

Wait until next year. Oregon has two studs who will be coming out in the draft. Jaison Williams is a 6'5" receiver who is 240 and runs 4.36, and Jon Stewart is 5'11" 230 lb Rb who runs 4.35 range.

Not an SEC homer.....am a southeastern united states homer....specifically the Florida players when it comes to the skill positions.

The little 10, Michigan players are great to pick for linemen. They are big and tough. The receivers are a different story. You also have to look at what type of football is played in the divisions. In the little 10, with snow and inclement weather, obviously it is a run first, play the defense type of conference. Your chances of wide receiver busts run high.

While the little 10 schools often have to practice inside of a basketball gym when there is 10 inches of snow outside, the Florida burners are on the grass, practicing in real-game situations. You can't get that by running windsprints in a basketball court.

It is the same reason why almost all pro golfers live in Florida. They want the edge of being able to practice year around. Tiger Woods does not have two houses in Michigan or Ohio. No different in football.

In the pac 10, knowing that USC is the only team to have won an outright title in 66 years, you have to take any stats with a grain of salt. The majority of their games are against teams that just aren't top notch.

While you can find 1 in 5,000 prospects that turn out to be great, like a Steve Smith, your odds are obviously much better sticking with the southeast receivers.

This forum isn't long enough to list all of the superstars. But the all time NFL leading rusher, Emmit Smith, the greatest cornerback in history, Deion Sanders.....and the three top players on the entire Skins team--Portis, Moss and Sean Taylor are a good start. Add a few Lavernaues Coles, Boldins, Warrick Dunns......and I think a reasonable fan gets the picture.

Not an SEC homer.....am a southeastern united states homer....specifically the Florida players when it comes to the skill positions.

The little 10, Michigan players are great to pick for linemen. They are big and tough. The receivers are a different story. You also have to look at what type of football is played in the divisions. In the little 10, with snow and inclement weather, obviously it is a run first, play the defense type of conference. Your chances of wide receiver busts run high.

While the little 10 schools often have to practice inside of a basketball gym when there is 10 inches of snow outside, the Florida burners are on the grass, practicing in real-game situations. You can't get that by running windsprints in a basketball court.

It is the same reason why almost all pro golfers live in Florida. They want the edge of being able to practice year around. Tiger Woods does not have two houses in Michigan or Ohio. No different in football.

In the pac 10, knowing that USC is the only team to have won an outright title in 66 years, you have to take any stats with a grain of salt. The majority of their games are against teams that just aren't top notch.

While you can find 1 in 5,000 prospects that turn out to be great, like a Steve Smith, your odds are obviously much better sticking with the southeast receivers.

This forum isn't long enough to list all of the superstars. But the all time NFL leading rusher, Emmit Smith, the greatest cornerback in history, Deion Sanders.....and the three top players on the entire Skins team--Portis, Moss and Sean Taylor are a good start. Add a few Lavernaues Coles, Boldins, Warrick Dunns......and I think a reasonable fan gets the picture.

Yes Florida, FSU, and Miami create great NFL players this is true. This does not mean the whole south makes great players and especially does not mean the Pac 10 and Big 10 dont make good skill players.

Brady? Palmer? Chad Johnson? Steve Smith (Utah)? Joey Galloway? Terry Glenn?.......

(Didnt Charles Woodson win the hiesman and have a decent NFL carear, yea a little overrated but still pretty good for a couple of years in there)

McD

You know you would garner a lot less hostility in response to your posts about college football if you STOPPED USING THE GODDAMN PHRASE "Little 10."

Why not just call it the Big 10? Do you call the Big 12, the "small 12," "the *****-made 12?" Do I call the ACC the "conference where football is a nice diversion from basketball?"

Then please STOP.

yeah...that Keyshawn Johnson guy was terrible. so was Chad Johnson, J.J. Stokes, T.J. Houshmandzadeh...also notable from the little 10...Terry Glenn, Lee Evans, Michael Jenkins, Muhsin Muhammad, Derric Mason.

these are just a few who were recently or who are currently in the league & off of the top of my head.

biggest misnomer in the sports world is the weakness of the Pac-10 which is only further perpetuated by an unrelenting east coast bias in the press & the SEC fan base that refuses to even consider that there are other conferences that play in the NCAA.

might I add that whuppin' up on Middle Tennessee State of Arkansas Southern Section of Florida 48-7 on your non-conference schedule is not the same as whuppin' up on THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS 50-14 IN ARKANSAS!!!

yes...the same Arkansas team that beat a previously undefeated Auburn team that was supposed to roll over the SEC into the BCS title game.

anyways. Jarrett will be fine, as will Mike Williams. they likely won't be superstars, but they will be very serviceable over time. just watch. the one thing you can't coach is the ability to catch the football.

Yes Florida, FSU, and Miami create great NFL players this is true. This does not mean the whole south makes great players and especially does not mean the Pac 10 and Big 10 dont make good skill players.

Brady? Palmer? Chad Johnson? Steve Smith (Utah)? Joey Galloway? Terry Glenn?.......

(Didnt Charles Woodson win the hiesman and have a decent NFL carear, yea a little overrated but still pretty good for a couple of years in there)

I love the other conferences for qbs.....Pennsylvania seems to put out some of the greatest ever.

I love the big ten(also known as the big 2 and little 8), or just the little 10 for linemen. They rock for the big guys. Their linemen are animals.

I am just saying that if you want a great nfl quarterback....don't go to florida.

If you want a great NFL lineman....don't go to florida.

If you want a great receiver or cornerback/safety.....go to florida.

If everyone would put bias aside, me for starters, I think we would all agree that if the skins want a lineman or quarterback, florida is probably the last place to look. But if we also want the Skins to get a great receiver/cornerback/safety.....then yes, we would prefer it to be a florida, or at least southeast player. Because of this, I do think you have to give a little extra weight to the idea that a CJ is probably going to turn out better than a 1st round big 10 receiver.

Not trying to be an ass, and I apologize if it came across that way, it just seems pretty clear what part of the country excels at what position.

I love the other conferences for qbs.....Pennsylvania seems to put out some of the greatest ever.

I love the big ten(also known as the big 2 and little 8), or just the little 10 for linemen. They rock for the big guys. Their linemen are animals.

I am just saying that if you want a great nfl quarterback....don't go to florida.

If you want a great NFL lineman....don't go to florida.

If you want a great receiver or cornerback/safety.....go to florida.

If everyone would put bias aside, me for starters, I think we would all agree that if the skins want a lineman or quarterback, florida is probably the last place to look. But if we also want the Skins to get a great receiver/cornerback/safety.....then yes, we would prefer it to be a florida, or at least southeast player. Because of this, I do think you have to give a little extra weight to the idea that a CJ is probably going to turn out better than a 1st round big 10 receiver.

Not trying to be an ass, and I apologize if it came across that way, it just seems pretty clear what part of the country excels at what position.

This is a little better clarication but a QB is a skill position.

The big 2 and the little 8? I think UW is pretty good on a consistance basis, not great, but pretty good. OSU and MSU are great. PSU is on the top schools ever. Even MSU has been good.

Why must you ignore, Chad Johnson (prob the best WR in the league), Joey Galloway, Lee Evans, Terry Glenn ect ect ect?????

This thread is getting off course, but arguing with McD is pretty much pointless because he admitted in his post that he's a homer.

Right there you know the guy is unrealistic and doesn't know much about the other conferences in the NCAA.

There are solid NFL players from ALL conferences, even Div2 schools. Some of the top QB's in today's NFL come from the MAC conference. Does that mean that ALL mac QB's are going to be stars?

What about Reggie Ball in the ACC?:laugh:

The examples are endless, but any reasonable college fan knows that there is more to succeeding in the NFL than just having played in the SEC or ACC.

Plus, the more time that passes, the more parity you will see in college ball. Unkown football schools like Rutgers are getting top recruits. Traditional basketball schools like Uconn and UNC are stepping up football recruiting.

McD, if you really think Jarrett is going to bust in the NFL because of which conference he played in college, then maybe you should open your eyes to the real world.

This is a little better clarication but a QB is a skill position.

The big 2 and the little 8? I think UW is pretty good on a consistance basis, not great, but pretty good. OSU and MSU are great. PSU is on the top schools ever. Even MSU has been good.

Why must you ignore, Chad Johnson (prob the best WR in the league), Joey Galloway, Lee Evans, Terry Glenn ect ect ect?????

Terry Glenn, even though he is on the wrong team, is a great receiver. Galloway is injury prone...which would concern me about Ginn this draft. They seem similiar physicaly.

I honestly don't think that 90% of pro football fans have ever heard of Lee Evans--I would't put him in Canton just yet.

Even Florida, a state with few good quarterbacks, has brought in a superbowl winner in Brad Johnson, or a crappy superbowl contender Rex Grossman, but I wouldn't want to choose from a pool of Florida quarterbacks. Those two are the exception......not the rule.

In the draft, which can be a crapshoot anyway, I think success can be improved by picking where the odds are the best. The odds of a good qb from the state of Florida are horrible. The odds of a good receiver or cornerback from the big 10 are awful in comparison to the odds of getting a hyped bust player.

It is hard to come up with many receivers, corners or safeties from Florida that were hyped top picks, that turned out to be busts. Only two come to mind--Peter Warrick, who went to an NFL team where careers go to die, and Kellen Winslow, whose injuries and attitude are two huge knocks against him.

That is why although I want defense in this draft, I do respect CJ. If you are billed as the best in the draft, and you are an ACC or SEC receiver, you can play. You have earned your stats and yardage against future nfl starters. Physical wonders who practice two a days in 90 degree heat, with high humidity. True burners who don't gass in the 4th quarter of a game. If you can get catches and lead the conference against those guys....you can play in the nfl.

As far as Ohio State goes, I am sure you are already aware of their 0-9 record against SEC teams in bowl games. 9 in a row isn't a coincidence. That team has made a conscious decision to schedule no one outside of their own conference year in and year out. Unless you consider Texas early last season, with a freshman quarterback, as a quality win. This coming season is even worse. They took Texas off the schedule....and replaced them with Youngstown State. That is just absurd.

If you want a laugh.....take a look at the Ohio State schedule this season. Here is the link:

http://ohiostate.rivals.com/schedule.asp?team=OHIOST

The first nine games of that season are just ridiculous. There are 10-15 teams in the country that would go 9-0 against that schedule. And yet, we will have to hear how they are 9-0, and are supposedly good. And, we will here that some guy on their team has great stats. Do you really want to draft that guy??? Of course not. Or you could end up with another Troy Smith farce. They will run up stats against one of the weakest schedules on earth.

Can anyone honestly look at that schedule, and find one team out of their conference that is a worthy opponent? Even one, let alone two or three? Yeah, I can't either. They love to schedule no one, in hopes of going undefeated, and sneaking into a bowl game, to make claim that they are the best in the land. The problem?? God forbid they have to face an SEC team in that bowl game. Then the scam unravels.

Archived