Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NEW JLC Blog...Big Draft News

CPstretch

The above, if true is by far the best thing I've heard about the draft in weeks. If this is true it means Atlanta will face the very real possibility that we could take Okoye and the Vikes could take Landry. That means they'd have to trade up with us to get either of the guys they really want. In other words, say hello to their second rounder! :cool:

....that is IF the above quote is true.:paranoid:

don't forget to throw in the rumors of NE wanting him, we could very well have a nice auction for #6.

Let's take Landry and solidify our secondary for years to come. It would be nice to have CJ, but the bottom line is that it owuld take way too much to move up and grab him and we don't have the trade bait to get him. It would cost us way, way too much to do so.

If we could move Lloyd, maybe that's a possibility, but no one wants him.

Let's take Landry and solidify our secondary for years to come. It would be nice to have CJ, but the bottom line is that it owuld take way too much to move up and grab him and we don't have the trade bait to get him. It would cost us way, way too much to do so.

How are we gonna rush the QB? Sure we will have some coverage people but they can not cover all day long and with our lack of pass rush they will have too. A secondary is only as good as the front 4, in front of them.

If the Raiders pick up Culpepper and pass on Russell - things will get very interesting. I am going to be excited to see who would be willing to trade up with the Redskins. If they stay at 6 and take Landry or Okoye - I'll be happy. If they move back - still get a solid player plus a second round pick - I would be very happy

Yea, that'd be stupid if they did. Never know I guess.

Why would it be stupid to pass on a guy who has absurd physical attributes over a guy who has actually played well in a pro-style offense the last two seasons? If you are the Browns, and Romeo Crennel, the defensive coordinator for the Patriots for 3 Super Bowls, is your coach... Wouldn't it make sense to take Brady Quinn (mentored by Charlie Weiss, the offensive coordinator of the Patriots for 3 Super Bowls, the last two years) over Russell? This is not to knock Russell, but only to say that Crennel should logically have more confidence in Quinn than in Russell...

Lets just hope that everyone else in front of us scrambles to get CJ and Russell. The Skins should be able to sit back and watch the mayhem unfold.

Once the dust settles and its time for the 6th spot the phones should be ringing with trade offers.

At least thats what Im hoping would happen. :)

where is this "big" draft news you referred to? JLC didnt say anything new. EVERYTHING he said had been mentioned on PFT the past few days. i'll let Jason slide on that one because he just had a kid, but i'm hoping something actually insightful to come from him in the next few days.

I agree with you on Landry. We really don't need DL as much as everyone says we do. Strong Safety is probably the 2nd most important player on GWs defense and we dont have a decent one on our roster now. Preliou has only played like 14 games in the past 3 years. Archuletta is gone. Vincent is gone. Fox is a special teamer. We have plenty of "serviceable" DLs on our team. If we dont upgrade the safety position with a starting caliber guy, our Defensive line and pass rush will be just as horrible as it was last year.... no matter what rookie we drafted for DL. On the other hand, if we solidify the backfield, then our defensive line will actually be able to get help with rushing the passer from the LBs and DBs and GW can get back to those exotic blitzes that made him famous.

Also, I hear the Skins will have something like 15 kids - on defense only! - at the facility this week, to say nothing of all the offensive players who have come through and still will come through. Is that overkill and indicative of the over-the-top nature of the guy who signs the checks? Is that too many bodies for any team to really handle in a limited time? Is it a little circus-like?

Yeah, probably, but that's the Skins. That's how they roll.

Jason-

Do you try to be a jackass? What I mean is... do you work on it? Or does it just come naturally?

You are one sour, bitter, trivial little man.

Trade back to #8 with Atl. If they have such a hard on for Landry, they can have him. We take Okoye. If they want Okoye we take Landry. We could also possibly trade down to like #12, pick up extra picks, and get Carriker. There are deals to be made, regardless of what the experts say.

EXACTLY. If Atlanta loves Landry and Okoye let them trade up with us. I'd be pleased with either one. Thinking it through a little. BOTH players will be there at 6. If we want Atlanta to trade up we have to make waves about drafting Okoye considering the Vikings apparently like Landry at 7. Assuming the Falcons would be pleased with either player.

If we act like we are going to draft Landry and the Vikings have no interest in Okoye -- the Falcons would have no desire to trade up with us if they like both players becuase Okoye in that case would fall to them. I don't mind being at the mercy of the Falcons whims about Okoye and Landry if it means us picking up a 2nd rounder for it.

Though its preferable for us for the Falcons to covet Landry more becuase if they draft him at 6, we should get Okoye at 8. If they draft Okoye we'd likely be out both players.

If I were Culpepper I'd seriously be considering finding somewhere else to play if the Phins cut him. Does he really want to take the high risk job of playing behind the Raiders offensive line?

IMO the Raiders should be the ones wanting to trade down, seeing as they have great trade bait in CJ and Russell. They could trade down and use those picks on OL, Thomas or Brown, Grubbs or Blalock, or perhaps a TE to add some blocking and another dimension in the passing game to open things up some for Moss & Porter. Otherwise no matter who you put back there at QB you are throwing them to the wolves.

This is a perfect example of needing to build first in the trenches, if they use that #1 on a skill player, they will more than likely be rendered useless just as Moss & Porter have been for the most part. It just makes no sense to sign someone to a huge contract that due to lack of talent up front, will not have a legitimate shot at being an effective playmaker.

Agree with Zoony and Art 100%. It's getting tiresome pointing out what a cranky prick JLC has become.

I learned nothing from this schlock. I'm sure if something develops with the Skins in the draft one of the national writers will be on to it long before LaDouchebag.

Landry, Okoye, Adams, or Anderson...I'll take any of the 4, if we got one of the 4 and a second rounder to boot that would be the icing on the cake.

I am in this same camp :applause:

... hell, you could throw Bracnh into that mix (with a trade down and an extra pick though) and I'd still be a happy camper.

Trade back to #8 with Atl. If they have such a hard on for Landry, they can have him. We take Okoye. If they want Okoye we take Landry. We could also possibly trade down to like #12, pick up extra picks, and get Carriker. There are deals to be made, regardless of what the experts say.

And let's remember Atlanta was able to fleece Houston in picks when they traded Schaub...so they've got ammo.

The question is on what team do they use it on. Us or Tampa?

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Posted at 9:19 PM ET, 04/16/2007

Again, the Skins at 6 could be prime partners. Keep an eye on this, cause at 10, plus getting a second round pick, the Skins might find two really good players in such a trade.

Reading this reminds me of how pissed off I am that this FO crew just tosses away 2nd and 3rd Round picks as if they were garbage.

We're not going to get the stud DL we need if we trade out of the 6th spot. If we had been more judicious with our draft picks, we wouldn't even be considering such a trade because we'd have 2nd and 3rd Round picks.

This situation sucks because our FO sucks.

GOD DAMNIT GOD DAMNIT GOD DAMNIT!

My appologies to the religious-sensitive people here at ES, but now my dreams of CJ looks like they're just about dead.

I guess LaRon or Amboye will have to do <sigh>

Don't you worry, if we don't get CJ, maybe we'll grab Randy.

Double Moss = Super Bowl

And let's remember Atlanta was able to fleece Houston in picks when they traded Schaub...so they've got ammo.

They'd have no reason to trade up to 4 with Tampa to get Okoye or Landry neither player is projected that high -- actually 6 seems a LITTLE high for them too. The only way they'd do that I think is if the Skins decided that they WON'T trade down and let everyone know they are taking Okoye while the Vikings commit to Landry.

Point is it would make much more sense for Atlanta to deal with us.

I think we would make a lot more sense because, as far as I know, no one's talking about Okoye and Landry before 6 and the Bucs have other needs. The Falcons will probably only trade up with us if they are set on Landry becuase, if we (or they) don't take him at 6, the Vikings will at 7. If they're fine with Okoye they'll stay put.

The other possibility is NE giving us the 24 and 28 to move up and get Landry. I don't like this move at all. If we trade back, I don't want to go that far UNLESS we go all the way back, get out of the first round entirley and pick up a TON of picks. This is a deep draft BUT it's short on first rounders. It's almost guaranteed we'll be reaching for a 2nd rounder if we pick late in the 1st.

The other possibility is NE giving us the 24 and 28 to move up and get Landry. I don't like this move at all. If we trade back, I don't want to go that far UNLESS we go all the way back, get out of the first round entirley and pick up a TON of picks. This is a deep draft BUT it's short on first rounders. It's almost guaranteed we'll be reaching for a 2nd rounder if we pick late in the 1st.

I disagree to an extent. I'd love the Pats trade if they threw in a 2nd or 3rd rounder(since the two firsts alone don't equal the #6 in the value chart). We need a lot of talent to shore up some weak spots, drafting one guy in the top 10(and giving him like a $20 Mil bonus)isn't going to do us all that much good unless we get lucky and draft like the next Shawne Merriman.

With picks 24 and 28 we could draft both a DT and a DE. Maybe Alan Branch falls? Or Carriger of Nebraska. With an extra mid round pick we can find Dockery's replacement.

I disagree to an extent. I'd love the Pats trade if they threw in a 2nd or 3rd rounder(since the two firsts alone don't equal the #6 in the value chart). We need a lot of talent to shore up some weak spots, drafting one guy in the top 10(and giving him like a $20 Mil bonus)isn't going to do us all that much good unless we get lucky and draft like the next Shawne Merriman.

With picks 24 and 28 we could draft both a DT and a DE. Maybe Alan Branch falls? Or Carriger of Nebraska. With an extra mid round pick we can find Dockery's replacement.

Yeah, my thing is I've been hearing that most teams are trying to trade out of the bottom 3rd of the 1st round because they are only, say, 16-20 players truly worthy of a 1st round pick. I just don't know if we'll get great value there. Now, if we were able to get a bunch of 2nd 3rd and 4th round picks and no 1st rounder, I'd be a lot happier with that than with the 2 1st rounders. That's what I was trying to get at.

Yeah, my thing is I've been hearing that most teams are trying to trade out of the bottom 3rd of the 1st round because they are only, say, 16-20 players truly worthy of a 1st round pick. I just don't know if we'll get great value there. Now, if we were able to get a bunch of 2nd 3rd and 4th round picks and no 1st rounder, I'd be a lot happier with that than with the 2 1st rounders. That's what I was trying to get at.

True, true. Theres also the fact that you really can't trust our FO when it comes to drafting the unknowns. I mean anyone can draft in the top 10. :laugh:

I think we would make a lot more sense because, as far as I know, no one's talking about Okoye and Landry before 6 and the Bucs have other needs. The Falcons will probably only trade up with us if they are set on Landry becuase, if we (or they) don't take him at 6, the Vikings will at 7. If they're fine with Okoye they'll stay put. .

Unless we make waves about drafting Okoye. Granted they can take a chance and just wait and see. But if we draft Okoye then they are likely screwed if they want him or Landry.

If I were them I'd wait for the Skins pick and decide whether to trade then. At that point, you'd know if Quinn or Peterson, etc are there and by extension the Skins might trade down with another partner. That would be best case for the Falcons becuase in all likelihood they can stay at 8 and get either Okoye or Landry without trading a draft pick.

Are the Redskins really that lucky? To have the Falcons want Landry so bad that they trade up with us to jump the Vikings?

Who would the Vikings then draft if they miss out on Landry? What would stop Minnesota from drafting Okoye? The way things usually work for the Redskins, we trade with the Falcons and they draft Landry and then we have to trade back up with the Vikings, giving up the draft pick we got from Atlanta so we can pick Okoye. :doh:

Archived