Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shawn Springs?

wit 33

i hope he stays in washington in order to lead our secondary!
This part I agree with.
he's one of the best corners in the league!
This part I don't. For those interested in a more lengthy discussion about the Springs situation, I recommend this thread. And in it you will find this lil tid bit:
Champ Bailey DEN, Asante Samuel NE, Chris McAllister BAL, Chris Gamble CAR, Ken Lucas CAR, Ronde Barber TB, Antoine Winfield MIN, Rashean Mathis JAX, Marcus Trufant SEA, Nnamdi Asomugha OAK, Dunta Robinson HOU, Nate Clements SF, Al Harris GB, Charles Tillman CHI, Nathan Vasher CHI, Lito Sheppard PHI, DeAngelo Hall ATL and Dre Bly DEN are all above Springs in ability, production and reliability, IMO.
He's our best corner, no doubt. But to say he's a top corner, or even a top 15 corner is a bit silly.

hes a walking injury and has trouble keeping up with fast recievers because of his age. otherwise i like him. i think we should put him at FS if we dont draft landry, this will enable ST to have a great year because he wouldnt always have to drop back into coverage. this would also still leave us with a good starting corner rotation with Smoot, Rogers, Macklin, and Jimoh. Macklin is not a 4th corner anyway so this would be a great move i think.

lol at him being a top 10 corner. he isnt even top 20. weve done this before, the guy has had 2 INTERCEPTIONS the past 2 years. thats less than rogers, who 85% of you think is awful. springs isnt that great, hes solid WHEN hes healthy, which is never. some of you are insane. the guy hasnt played a full season in 6 years, and you guys all think hes a top 10 cb. most football fans dont even know who he is.

There were a lot of reasons we blew on defense last year, but I think his injury was the single biggest reason. I'm not ready to see what life is like without SS just yet because I have a feeling it aint pretty. Until Rogers develops, Spring has to stay in the fold. At his age, we wouldn't be able to get more than a 3rd or 4th rounder for him anyway. Springs playing at a high level for the next 2 seasons is worth far more to this team than the potential that a draft pick would hold.

id rather take a 3rd rounder for him. or a 4th rounder for that matter.

rogers is good and so is smoot. we just need pressure for them to be able to make plays. corners cant function alone, its a team effort and our defense ruined our secondary last year. we have macklin for depth as well as eubanks. we could stand to draft one more CB, or promote someone from within, or even see if we could sign some decent depth after the june 1st cuts. CB isnt an issue at the moment, DL is. fix it, or were done for.

As others have posited, Springs could be dealt on draft day or afterwards. I could easily see that happening.

He is too expensive for the production we've gotten from him. If Smoot can return to form then move Springs to Safety or move him for a draft pick. If Springs is hurt this season where ever he plays his value will deminish drastically, if we are ever going to move him now is the time. :logo:

FA is over so we don't need to free up any more money. Why would we cut him now if he fits in this year's budget? We have about 6m in cap space and we have to sign our draft picks and have some for injuries. We will have plenty left, no need to cut SS. We now have good depth at CB w/ Springs, Smoot, Rogers and Macklin. We will turn a strength into a ? by cutting Springs. And for what to free up money to spend on who? Next year we may need $ and then we could cut him. Besides the earlier you cut a player in his contract the higher amount of dead cap money you have. SS stays this year.

id rather take a 3rd rounder for him. or a 4th rounder for that matter.

rogers is good and so is smoot. we just need pressure for them to be able to make plays. corners cant function alone, its a team effort and our defense ruined our secondary last year. we have macklin for depth as well as eubanks. we could stand to draft one more CB, or promote someone from within, or even see if we could sign some decent depth after the june 1st cuts. CB isnt an issue at the moment, DL is. fix it, or were done for.

So if we trade SS for a 3rd or 4rth, draft a CB, Who is our #1 corner? All agreed that we need a D line and all, but secondary is still a need. With or without SS. He is good when and if he is healthy and thats a big when and if, but we still need him. We are gonna be paying him here or not, so why would we dump him for a pick that most likely won't contribute to anything other than STs for a few years.

So if we trade SS for a 3rd or 4rth, draft a CB, Who is our #1 corner? All agreed that we need a D line and all, but secondary is still a need. With or without SS. He is good when and if he is healthy and thats a big when and if, but we still need him. We are gonna be paying him here or not, so why would we dump him for a pick that most likely won't contribute to anything other than STs for a few years.

i have no problem at all with rogers as our #1. hes young, fast, gets near the ball enough to make plays (he drops enough of them haha), and he hits extremely hard for a guy his size. great in run support as well, which is what williams likes. but none of this matters without a pass rush. we could have champ bailey and deon sanders with our dline and theyd look awful. when quarterbacks have 4 minutes to throw the ball, someone IS going to get open. now, if the quarterback has 3 seconds to throw the ball, rogers and smoot can make plays on the ball. besides, springs is brittle, isnt good in run support, will miss 6 games probably with god knows what injuries (i cant wait for the headline "shawn springs battles attack from killer bees, will miss 3-4 weeks") and hes overpaid and underproductive.

guys. 2 picks in 2 years. 2 picks in 2 years. think about that.

i have no problem at all with rogers as our #1. hes young, fast, gets near the ball enough to make plays (he drops enough of them haha), and he hits extremely hard for a guy his size. great in run support as well, which is what williams likes. but none of this matters without a pass rush. we could have champ bailey and deon sanders with our dline and theyd look awful. when quarterbacks have 4 minutes to throw the ball, someone IS going to get open. now, if the quarterback has 3 seconds to throw the ball, rogers and smoot can make plays on the ball. besides, springs is brittle, isnt good in run support, will miss 6 games probably with god knows what injuries (i cant wait for the headline "shawn springs battles attack from killer bees, will miss 3-4 weeks") and hes overpaid and underproductive.

guys. 2 picks in 2 years. 2 picks in 2 years. think about that.

Thats a good point. I like Carlos and think he plays much better this year. I also think he takes an unfair beating around here. I hope he can step up to be our #1 this year or next. If we can drop SS and get out of the money we owe him and get something in return,I'll be happy. I like him a whole lot (SS), but his best days are behind him.

Thats a good point. I like Carlos and think he plays much better this year. I also think he takes an unfair beating around here. I hope he can step up to be our #1 this year or next. If we can drop SS and get out of the money we owe him and get something in return,I'll be happy. I like him a whole lot (SS), but his best days are behind him.

agreed, no ill will towards SS, he used to be an awesome player and hes a solid guy. but hes not worth what were paying and were dying for youth on defense. 33 year old injury machines are not the answer.

What do you hope happens with Shawn Springs this year?

Personally, I think he is by far the Redskins best CB,and when healthy he is one of the best corners in the game. I also believe he gives Gregg Williams a lot of flexibility, if they used some packages with him lined up at SS. If healthy and on the roster next year Shawn Springs allows me to think that the Redskins could posess one of the better scondaries in the NFL (even more so if the Redskins get a viable pass rusher).

I'm hoping that we keep him b/c if we lose Springs, our CB rotation becomes very thin. I really think that Rogers will benefit from being the Nickel for a year. However, if certain circumstances shake out in the draft, I believe that Springs is our most valuable trading chip that we possess...especially if it is a deal with the Lions.

I'm hoping that we keep him b/c if we lose Springs, our CB rotation becomes very thin. I really think that Rogers will benefit from being the Nickel for a year. However, if certain circumstances shake out in the draft, I believe that Springs is our most valuable trading chip that we possess...especially if it is a deal with the Lions.

if rogers plays nickel for a year, our coaching staff is retarded, and ill be very mad. hes a good CB, we saw that in 05. dont blame him for our dline sucking. if you wanna relegate somebody to backup duty, pick any of the 3 DLmen we have other than carter.

Rogers may develop into a #1 CB. Problem is, he hasn't yet. He had the chance last year to be that guy and failed miserably. This team had 3 strong defensive games last season (Dallas, Carolina, at New Orleans). Not coincidently, all were made possible by Springs being in the lineup. You could include Houston (w/o Springs) but that game was more about playing keep away than solid defense.

I'd rather have Springs in the fold, who has proven he can match up with guys like Owens, Burress, and Steve Smith even when less than 100%, while Rogers learns the ropes/regains his confidence than cut or trade him... only to find out that CR doesn't have what it takes. And I think the team feels the same way.

I'd like to see Springs stay, even though something doesn't feel right about him. I really think the team would move him if possible. Him not re-doing his deal is a bit weird, but he can play safety for us.

Gibbs even made mention of this in a presser awhile ago. I'd like to see it happen, but if he isn't on the team in 2007, I won't be mad.

It makes no sense to get rid of Shawn Springs, he will count for too much against the cap. If the Redskins release or trade him, the Redskins will suffer big salary cap hits for the next 2 years. He has the capabilities to still help the team. I would to see Gregg Williams use him at corner and safety. Springs did play 15 games 2 years ago, it's not that long ago when he played in most of the games. That year he was the 3rd best in yards gained per attempt, at 5.4 yards, according to ESPN the magazine. When he plays he is the real deal.

What do you hope happens with Shawn Springs this year?

Personally, I think he is by far the Redskins best CB,and when healthy he is one of the best corners in the game. I also believe he gives Gregg Williams a lot of flexibility, if they used some packages with him lined up at SS. If healthy and on the roster next year Shawn Springs allows me to think that the Redskins could posess one of the better scondaries in the NFL (even more so if the Redskins get a viable pass rusher).

where's brandonlloydchristmas on this one? i'm really grateful that another springs thread was started.

where's brandonlloydchristmas on this one? i'm really grateful that another springs thread was started.

Then look at the thread, tell yourself I do not want to comment on Shawn Springs today, and move on. Get a life, rather harping on the small stuff.

Then look at the thread, tell yourself I do not want to comment on Shawn Springs today, and move on. Get a life, rather harping on the small stuff.

or............you learn to utilize the search function on this site. and trust me, i won't be the only one harping about a new poster starting redundant threads. i'm actually doing you a favor, which you're failing to see.

Archived