Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

College Rivals playing for the Skins

I am a Florida State Fan!

We have it the worst!

First we get Steve Spurrier, and proceed to have a team full of gators.

Then we make it worse by drafting Taylor Jacobs instead of Anquan Boldin!

Then after all those bums are gone we fill the team up with Miami Hurricanes.

At first I didn't like any of the Miami players but since they are Redskins I root for them now.

I think one has to be able to keep things separate and a little less emotional. College rivalries happen at the College level. Once an individual leaves his alma mater and enters the draft, it is a whole different ball game. I think he is representing himself and his family and I really don't think about his school anymore. Its just where he went to school. I played college ball and played with many guys that went to rival high schools. I don't hate them cause of where they went to HS. They are my teammates now and were are now a different outfit. We reminisced and thought it was funny but respected each other cause of the level of competition we gave one another. Now if we went back to watch a HS school game between our alma maters then all bets are off. Its the same at the pro level, guys place betweens when the college teams they played at are playing on any given saturday. I mean, do you have problems rooting for Team USA in basketball when guys from all over the NBA are on the team? No, its Team USA and they now represent you too. If any draftee went to a college rival it doesn't matter cause he is now a Redskin and thats that IMO. Plus we men are suppose to be better at compartmentalizing our emotions. Those who can't separate emotions are usually called women.:laugh: :cheers:

:laugh: :laugh:

Good post.

I just wish you would use paragraph form next time, makes it easier on the eyes.

:cheers:

Instead of opening up another thread, I'd like to ride the coat tails of this one and go a step further regarding College Rivals.

What Redskins players are now team mates with their college rivals?

None currently from my favorite college team...but if we landed CJ (I'm sorry, honestly) then we would have

Kedric Golston, Phillip Daniels, and Demetric Evans (UGA) vs. CJ (Ga Tech).

But probably the best for rivals on this team is Auburn v. Alabama

Campbell, Rogers, Washington, Pucillo v. Samuels, Griffin.

Big rivalry, lots of starters.

:dallasuck

I must be a unique sports fan because even though I have very strong allegiances to college teams and pro teams...this sort of thing never occurs to me. I could care less where a player played in college once they make the pros. (Though I do find the whole Miami thing a little weird and cultish).

You're not alone. College teams mean ZILCH to me when they are in the pros. It's all about what's best for the Skins. I grew up a MD fan and when Boomer Esiason went to the Bengals, I didn't root for him at all. He was no longer a Terp and was damn sure not a Redskin.

i can understand what many are saying here, but i believe that once you are a mountaineer, you will always be a mountaineer, and that can be applied to any other college. it would be a much larger deal to me, if say, Steve Slaton, WVU's all american running back got drafted by the cowboys. of course i would love to see slaton succeed at the pro level, but what if he played for the cowboys? i wouldnt know how to feel. of course, if a player from a rival team played for the skins, and contributed, then i probably wouldnt care all that much.

looking back, i guess i should have stated the original post a little differently.

• 2 weeks later...

I pretty much hate everything coming out of USC and it's tough for me to cheer for them when they become Redskins. It also doesn't help that the USC player we picked up this year has Dallas as a first name. Hopefully, he can be better than the worthless USC players we've had in the past.

I don't find it as hard to root against UCLA players once they play for other NFC east teams. I began to hate Aikman when he put on the Dalls uniforn and it was fitting that LaVar ended a dark chapter of a great college QB's career in the NFL.

How about: College Favorites Playing for a NFCEAST rival?

I was happy for about a fraction of a second when I saw that Anthony Spencer had been drafted in the first...then I saw that he was drafted by Dallas, now I loathe the guy. The only thing good about the pick is that he may not pan out, due to size, and that is what i've got to hope for now.

Archived