Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN ranks Sean Taylor Top 5 Blitzer

2Legit2Quit

Just a random thought..

..everyone seems to be hyping up Landry, about how he's a true Free Safety and Sean Taylor can move into a more natural Strong Safety position..

..but wasn't one of Sean Taylor's major selling points his ballhawking skills? His closing speed? His coverage skills? I seem to remember those being his major assets, with his size and big-hit ability being extra..

As long as Williams is our defensive coordinator, it wouldn't really make a difference. His scheme just uses two "safeties" that mix up their responsibilities a lot, not really a strong vs. free safety. He also uses a good bit of 46 scheme, though, and I don't know how well Landry would be able to fit into that...he'd need to be able to play both safety spots in the 46 or else it really limits the amount you can use it because offenses can immediately make the read.

Taylor and Landry are both "natural" free safeties, but Taylor just has the size and power to be able to play the run like a typical strong safety is asked to do.

Just a random thought..

..everyone seems to be hyping up Landry, about how he's a true Free Safety and Sean Taylor can move into a more natural Strong Safety position..

..but wasn't one of Sean Taylor's major selling points his ballhawking skills? His closing speed? His coverage skills? I seem to remember those being his major assets, with his size and big-hit ability being extra..

he was a ball hawk in college and early on in his pro career. But now it seems he's to intent on making a big hit every time. There are times when he or another Redskin could make a play on the ball and Taylor just blows up everything instead. I recall this being stated as by design per Gregg Williams, but I think Taylor needs to be more aware of the ball's location in relation to everything else at times.

I never thought ST was a good blitzer and last year was pretty evident of that. He always found a way to run into the Oline and get caught. He is a waist as a blitzer and we need him to stay back, let someone else do that, ST isn't good at that. Thats just pass blitzing though, ST is pretty good at teh run blitz.

I think he's a terrible blitzer actually. To me he is waisted when he is blitzed because he doesn't get to the quarterback. Williams blitzed him a lot last year too.

I agree with you. I hate when I see Sean Taylor blitz. Most of the time it is just a waste because he never gets to the QB and it leaves are secondary out to dry.

Archived