Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN ranks Sean Taylor Top 5 Blitzer

2Legit2Quit

Just a random thought..

..everyone seems to be hyping up Landry, about how he's a true Free Safety and Sean Taylor can move into a more natural Strong Safety position..

..but wasn't one of Sean Taylor's major selling points his ballhawking skills? His closing speed? His coverage skills? I seem to remember those being his major assets, with his size and big-hit ability being extra..

Just a random thought..

..everyone seems to be hyping up Landry, about how he's a true Free Safety and Sean Taylor can move into a more natural Strong Safety position..

..but wasn't one of Sean Taylor's major selling points his ballhawking skills? His closing speed? His coverage skills? I seem to remember those being his major assets, with his size and big-hit ability being extra..

Well, if you have a safety who plays close to the line of scrimmage, plays a lot of run support and has gotten bigger lately , you would probably want to move him to strong safety a la Troy Polamalu but can actually cover TE's or slot WR's.

Now in my opinion, the only person worth that 6th pick is Adams, but if he is gone get Landry at 6, a Brian Dawkins mold of a player who excels at setting people up in the backfield and would allow Taylor to be more agressive in supporting the run.

Well, if you have a safety who plays close to the line of scrimmage, plays a lot of run support and has gotten bigger lately , you would probably want to move him to strong safety a la Troy Polamalu but can actually cover TE's or slot WR's.

Now in my opinion, the only person worth that 6th pick is Adams, but if he is gone get Landry at 6, a Brian Dawkins mold of a player who excels at setting people up in the backfield and would allow Taylor to be more agressive in supporting the run.

I was listening to Mel Kiper on the Radio tonight and he said that Landry's main weakness is his cover ability and ball skills. He did say that he was a phenomenal athlete, but he has trouble when the ball is up in the air, Mel said that there were times that he would get himself into a bad position and end up tipping passes right into the hands of receivers.

As much as I dislike Mel, I trust him on this one, and I would rather stay away from a top 10 saftey who isn't "complete"

I don't know.. I have a bad feeling about trying to fix something that's not broken..

Admittedly, Sean Taylor showed lapses last year but.. So did the entire defense. His scouting reports talked about how great he was in coverage and for his first two years, he actually lived up to the reports.

Though not always man-to-man, he was instrumental in shutting down Randy Moss, Chad Johnson, Terrell Owens, Jeremey Shockey, etc.

It was just last year he looked bad in coverage..

Everytime we send him on a blitz we get burned. He covers more ground than anybody on our team and should be roaming the secondary scaring recievers. He is o.k. at blitzing Peirson is MUCH better he times his blitz better than anybody on our team. Sean just jumps up and down and shows his Blitz.

Landry would be an ideal fit to place next to Taylor, let them grow old together....only issue is that they'll be tackling guys 5 yards past the line of scrimmage seeing we were like swiss cheese last year against the run, but I still like the idea of taking the best available player and Landry certainly seems to be the best player available at the 6 spot.

hes like ed reed, cept, reed is used the way he should be and taylor isnt. he should be 20 yards down field before the snap and letting everything happen in front of him, this way he can use his speed and instincts to their fullest. but this wont happen in williams system cause he mans everyone up, including the safeties. and if the corner play is garbage, he'll use the cover 2, and well, we all know how that worked out last season :doh:

Archived