Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Redskins Won't Part With McIntosh

chronicdesi

Redskins Won't Part With McIntosh

By Howard Bryant

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, April 4, 2007; Page E03

The Washington Redskins' refusal to part with Rocky McIntosh may have stalled the team's proposed trade with Chicago for linebacker Lance Briggs, but at the same time sent the strongest signal yet that the 24-year-old linebacker may be an important part of the long-term plan after all.

The Redskins offered their sixth overall pick in the April 28-29 draft for Briggs and Chicago's 31st pick; the Bears countered by asking that McIntosh be part of the deal.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/03/AR2007040301321.html

whether you want this trade to get done or not, you have to like the redskins actually sticking to their guns and not throwing in rocky. Even though we may be one of the craziest teams during the offseason, this year looks promising to either getting a good deal done or not getting screwed over

"But when the Redskins approached Chicago last week about acquiring Briggs, their unwillingness to move an unproven player who did not participate virtually at all in the base package for a player who has earned a Pro Bowl berth in consecutive seasons may have provided a hint of their view of McIntosh's potential."

I think this quote sums up everything well. Hopefully this is the end of the trade talk...

whether you want this trade to get done or not, you have to like the redskins actually sticking to their guns and not throwing in rocky. Even though we may be one of the craziest teams during the offseason, this year looks promising to either getting a good deal done or not getting screwed over

I think this is still up for debate. The fact that we had anything to do with Briggs, just makes me nervous and makes me think this FO loves to make a splash. To me, this is no different than any other year. If this Briggs trade had gone through right away, I know my initial reaction was we were giving up too much. After some time, some grew on the trade. I think it was the lenght of this trade talk that provided some people time to like this trade, if not it would be like any other year.

I like this. We already invested 2 draft picks to get Rocky and we haven't even given him a chance to show what he's got. I think he could develop into a great linebacker and really help us against the run. He has tutors like Washington and Fletcher and Coach Williams so he will become a better linebacker with time.

From what we saw from Rocky, we as fans should be extremely encouraged. And with this news, hopefully he will be a starter and continue to improve for us. This guy seemed to ALWAYS be around the ball, and seems to be a versatile LB (Coach Gibbs made a point of saying that when we drafted him, saying he can play all 3 LB positions, and can play on pass packages as well as run packages.

Good! Two years from now, Rocky McIntosh > Briggs.

Two years from now Robert McCune > Shawne Merriman.

Not because I have any actual reason to believe this or even something resembling an argument, rather it is because my keyboard does have a ">" button (at least when I hit shift at the same time).

besides the potential in Rocky, I think the front office is showing a clear signal that we aren't going to be the pushover in trade deals. Look at certain teams, such as the Eagles, who lowball any type of trade deal (e.g. Walker trade, Stallworth trade). The result is that teams that want to acquire their players usually have to push their offer a bit over the equity needle to get it done.

Conversely (and historically), the skins have added the extra cherry just to get the deal done the 2nd rounder to Denver being the most glaring and shameful example. I think we're drawing the line in the sand for our future. Even if this trade doesn't get done, the resiliance will pay dividends in the future.

I think this is still up for debate. The fact that we had anything to do with Briggs, just makes me nervous and makes me think this FO loves to make a splash. To me, this is no different than any other year. If this Briggs trade had gone through right away, I know my initial reaction was we were giving up too much. After some time, some grew on the trade. I think it was the lenght of this trade talk that provided some people time to like this trade, if not it would be like any other year.

Gibbs is not about "Splash" he is about helping this team get on track as quick as possible. You can say that Snyder liked making a splash but he is not the one making player personel decisions. Case in point look at the FA's Gibbs has brought in...

Marcus Washington

Cornelius Griffen

Philip Daniels

Joe Salevea

Shawn Springs (semi splash)

David Patton

Casey Rabach

Todd Yoder

Todd Wade

Todd Collins

Christian Fauria (these guys are blue color guys)

Last year...

Randle El was the number 3 WR on his team the media made that a splash

Brandon Lloyd was not brought here to make a splash

Andre Carter wasn't even the big FA on his team that was Julian Peterson

Adam Archuleta was a mistake but Williams wanted him so Gibbs made it happen. Again not meant to be a splash. I think that is the most mis used term associated with the Joe Gibbs Redskins.

Their 1st, 2nd and Briggs for our first and Rocky. Would be a good deal. One that I still wouldn't want either. Rocky is going to be a play maker. He also is liked and well respected by his teammates . I am looking forward to giving props to the FO for making the deal to move up to get him. Coach WILL get this club back on course.

Hail

Archived