Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GM Angelo won't be Bullied

MAATopDogg

People need to stop blaming Rosenhaus, is he holding a gun to Gibbs's head to seek a trade? Rosenhaus does not have s**** to do with this. As Angelo stated above, "We have an official offer from the 'skins." If you wanna blame someone blame stupid Gibbs for going along with this. If we needed an OLB that bad, why didnt we just sign Adalius Thomas (who is a BEAST and better than Briggs). We wouldn't have needed to give up anything for him too. Now we are giving away an equivalent of a 16th overall pick just to make a splash at a position at which we are set. For goodness sakes we have M. Washington, L. Fletcher, R. McIntosh (spent TWO 2nd round picks to land him just last year), L. Marshall, K. Campbell, C. Clemons.

Geez this team sucks. Snyder can't sell this team soon enough. Cerratto can't get fired soon enough. Gibbs can't retire soon enough. This team can't get a REAL GM soon enough.

Again....so true....:applause:

Please don't be bullied Angelo, call his bluff, save my skins from themselves.

Angelo sounds like he's posturing to the fanbase that he's taking a hardline, to make it appear that they stood firm, but that in reality he would love to have a trade happen. I expect Chicago to try to make this work, unfortunately, even if it means lowering their "counter" to just include a throw-in like Marshall. That's BAD, BAD news for us, if accurate.

Now we are giving away an equivalent of a 16th overall pick just to make a splash at a position at which we are set. For goodness sakes we have M. Washington, L. Fletcher, R. McIntosh (spent TWO 2nd round picks to land him just last year), L. Marshall, K. Campbell, C. Clemons.

Clemons is long gone.

I think this has less to do with filling a need than trying to get the best value out of the #6 pick. It seems pretty clear that the Redskins aren't really sold on anyone at #6, and, from the apparent lack of offers that they have had for the pick, it looks like other teams agree. That's the reason this deal is still alive.

As for Briggs/Thomas, what is cheaper? Signing Briggs and the #31 pick, or signing Thomas and the #6 pick? Probably the former. Course, the point of all of this isn't primarily about improving the LB position.

Jason

Ummmm we got Santana Moss when we got rid of Laverneous

I dont care if it cost us 100 mill to get rid of King Toe Pain

We got the better end of that one for sure.

So giving up a 1st rounder, 13 million +, and Coles is a good deal for Santana Moss? Good thing you aren't our GM or we would be in worse shape than now.

I like Moss and he's a good receiver, but even that is a bit much even for him. You guys can't see past your nose, we lost out on that deal. Our problem was with Coles to begin with. Yet another player we overpaid for in picks and in money.

The Bears GM won't be bullied, but he's going to be stupid in the long-run. The Skins should rightfully stand pat with the current offer. No more players. The Bears are not going to get squat for Briggs after he sits out the first ten games. They say they will play hardball and franchise him again if he sits out the first ten games, but that's where Briggs will truly win because he will get paid the average of the top 5 salaries in the NFL, not his position if he's franchised for two straight years.

If I'm Briggs, I call their bluff and take the fines. Get a 10 week vacation and still clock a year towards his NFL pension credit. The Bears are just a cheap organization. Look how they low-balled Lovie Smith. Then say a player is irreplaceable, but won't pay him even though they have more than enough cap space. They base this on a matter of principle (Urlacher's contract). We'll see how smart the move is as their division gets better.

So giving up a 1st rounder, 13 million +, and Coles is a good deal for Santana Moss? Good thing you aren't our GM or we would be in worse shape than now.

I like Moss and he's a good receiver, but even that is a bit much even for him. You guys can't see past your nose, we lost out on that deal. Our problem was with Coles to begin with. Yet another player we overpaid for in picks and in money.

I think that whole deal was messed up, but we got a good player out of it.

The Bears GM won't be bullied, but he's going to be stupid in the long-run. The Skins should rightfully stand pat with the current offer. No more players. The Bears are not going to get squat for Briggs after he sits out the first ten games. They say they will play hardball and franchise him again if he sits out the first ten games, but that's where Briggs will truly win because he will get paid the average of the top 5 salaries in the NFL, not his position if he's franchised for two straight years.

If I'm Briggs, I call their bluff and take the fines. Get a 10 week vacation and still clock a year towards his NFL pension credit. The Bears are just a cheap organization. Look how they low-balled Lovie Smith. Then say a player is irreplaceable, but won't pay him even though they have more than enough cap space. They base this on a matter of principle (Urlacher's contract). We'll see how smart the move is as their division gets better.

You do realize he doesn't get paid if he doesn't play, regardless if they Franchise him. Yes it gives him a 7.2 million guaranteed paycheck, but he HAS TO PLAY. If he doesn't, then he can get fined along with not getting any pay. (see Deon Branch for example) Eventually, it's in the best interest for the player to sign the 1 year deal and continue to try and negotiate.

10 week vacation? You do realize being out of football that long hurts your position with other teams as well. (see Sean Gilbert) Doing something like that would ultimately hurt his career and not help it. Also, your "call their bluff" scenario might would work if he were really rich, but as it is, he is not at this time so I doubt he could take the fines like some other players could.

It's only going to get worse with agents like Rosenwhore stiring the pot and no team is immune. This drama will be endless.

Some want to villanize the Bears for being greedy, but it was Rosenhaus that set the trade terms not the Skins then he publically announced it to the press. Are teams supposed to accept anything he concocts in his mind?

The Bears are screwing over Briggs by underpaying him. If his agent isn't ready to fight for him then he needs to be fired. Hard for me to feel sorry for a team that makes boatloads of money and isn't willing to share the profits with the guys who get the job done on the field. If I have to pick between sides when one is a productive, hardworking football player and the other is a fat cat front office executive...count me in with the player. :2cents:

We forget who hires the Rosenwhore type agents....its greedy players who can't handle the rules the NFL has in place. Most players will be happy to get franchise tagged...they get paid a good chunk and it ups their value if they leave the next year. We should not want this type of guy ever....all he'll be doing is sitting out on us and we would have been out of a draft pick.

You do realize he doesn't get paid if he doesn't play, regardless if they Franchise him. Yes it gives him a 7.2 million guaranteed paycheck, but he HAS TO PLAY. If he doesn't, then he can get fined along with not getting any pay. (see Deon Branch for example) Eventually, it's in the best interest for the player to sign the 1 year deal and continue to try and negotiate.

10 week vacation? You do realize being out of football that long hurts your position with other teams as well. (see Sean Gilbert) Doing something like that would ultimately hurt his career and not help it. Also, your "call their bluff" scenario might would work if he were really rich, but as it is, he is not at this time so I doubt he could take the fines like some other players could.

You hit the nail on the head brother!

Briggs has everything to lose by continuing to act like a jerk. If he misses OTAs and gets fined $1000 a day (that may be low) he loses approx. $20,000. If he fails to come to camp and is fined the same, he loses approx $30,000 (I believe the fines would probably be worse). If he doesn't report or do anything for first 10 games he loses $4.5 mil. sorry but I don't think he can afford that at the moment. He may try to keep himself in shape, but he won't be in game shape. The Bears then could keep him inactive and he not play, again, he is the only one hurting here.

And again, the cheap comments are way off base. Lovie's contract wasn't done as quick as some people would like, but guess what, it is called negotiating. Lovie wasn't worried and had nothing bad to say it was his AGENT who was trying to pull a Rosenarse. Lovie got his cash and is one of the top paid coaches now.

It is not like the Bears are $25 mil under cap. They have spent money and given guys fair deals. Briggs turned down a fair deal last year thinking he wouldn't get franchised. sorry Briggs ya lost.

You hit the nail on the head brother!

And again, the cheap comments are way off base. Lovie's contract wasn't done as quick as some people would like, but guess what, it is called negotiating. Lovie wasn't worried and had nothing bad to say it was his AGENT who was trying to pull a Rosenarse. Lovie got his cash and is one of the top paid coaches now.

It is not like the Bears are $25 mil under cap. They have spent money and given guys fair deals. Briggs turned down a fair deal last year thinking he wouldn't get franchised. sorry Briggs ya lost.

Want to try doing a little research LOL The only reason the Bears gave Lovie his money was beause the bears being so cheap was tarnishing the nfl and they interviened on lovies behalf so the bears paid up.

As far as Briggs the deal they were offering was far from fair did you see what new england paid

You do realize he doesn't get paid if he doesn't play, regardless if they Franchise him. Yes it gives him a 7.2 million guaranteed paycheck, but he HAS TO PLAY. If he doesn't, then he can get fined along with not getting any pay. (see Deon Branch for example) Eventually, it's in the best interest for the player to sign the 1 year deal and continue to try and negotiate. .

I most certainly do. He has Drew "The Shark" as his agent. If you think he will not have access to whatever cash he needs until he is in the situation he wants than you underestimate the credit/banking industry and the advantages of having one of the wealthiest agents in the game.

Won't hurt his position with other teams. This is a different era in the NFL. Back in the day without Free Agency I would agree, or even the early 90's. Today is the win now era of parity. Any team wanting an advantage will gamble or take a shot on the player they think will give them that advantage. Case-in-point: Terrell Owens. After the Eagles situation all the talking heads were saying, he ruined his last chance in the NFL, yet he had quite a few suitors for his services. Dallas offered him the most, but he had 5 visits established the day after he was released from Philly.

As much as the Bears may think they have a leg to stand on, they really don't. At best they will inconveinince Briggs for the time being. In the long run Briggs will win because he will make all the money he's going to loose back and get the contract he wants.

People are so quick to point out, how much he is refusing by not want ing to be franchised, and how much he'll be throwing away due to fines. He's not looking at it that way. He sees it as an under-value for his services. He knows there are suitors that will pay him fair market value or above for his services so he's done playing until he gets that. How ever long he sits will be a vacation because he won't be working.

Want to try doing a little research LOL The only reason the Bears gave Lovie his money was beause the bears being so cheap was tarnishing the nfl and they interviened on lovies behalf so the bears paid up.

As far as Briggs the deal they were offering was far from fair did you see what new england paid

The nfl intervened? I never read anything like that, last I read said that Lovie was confident a deal would get done. After the Superbowl there was a furore about his contract sure, all the mediots were in on that one. But after Rivera got canned the next thing I personally read was that he had got his pay check and he was happy.

Though im not a bears fan it was watching their 85 Superbowl season as a wee child (yes i was like 4) that got me into football so I've generally read up on them over the years. I think Lovie is a classy guy and got what he deserved.

The NFL intervened? Source on this?

Speaking of research, you do realize the Bears offered Briggs a 6yr./33 million dollar contract last year right? He turned it down. He had his chance at stability and a lengthy contract, but he wants MORE than urlacher and he wants to be "tha man" on the team. Don't compare the contract to Adalius as that contract was offered last year.

There won't be any fines for sitting out practices or games as long as he is not under contract. He'll get paid for the last 6 games.

I most certainly do. He has Drew "The Shark" as his agent. If you think he will not have access to whatever cash he needs until he is in the situation he wants than you underestimate the credit/banking industry and the advantages of having one of the wealthiest agents in the game.

...and what happens next year when they tag him again? He going to sit out another year? You mean his value is going to stay the same while he sits out 2 years of football?

Won't hurt his position with other teams. This is a different era in the NFL. Back in the day without Free Agency I would agree, or even the early 90's. Today is the win now era of parity. Any team wanting an advantage will gamble or take a shot on the player they think will give them that advantage. Case-in-point: Terrell Owens. After the Eagles situation all the talking heads were saying, he ruined his last chance in the NFL, yet he had quite a few suitors for his services. Dallas offered him the most, but he had 5 visits established the day after he was released from Philly.

As much as the Bears may think they have a leg to stand on, they really don't. At best they will inconveinince Briggs for the time being. In the long run Briggs will win because he will make all the money he's going to loose back and get the contract he wants.

So if a guy sits out a full year, his value would remain the same? No. Not even remotely close. He'd never command the type of money he wants now, and if people wanted him so badly, how come it is the Redskins have been the ONLY team to inquire about Briggs. I think you overestimate their leverage. They have none, as Chicago could use the Franchise tag on him again next year and sit him some more. Two years without playing...lol Good luck getting that 20 mil bonus.

I only heard about 2 teams that were interested in TO. Dallas and Denver. What are the other three teams?

People are so quick to point out, how much he is refusing by not want ing to be franchised, and how much he'll be throwing away due to fines. He's not looking at it that way. He sees it as an under-value for his services. He knows there are suitors that will pay him fair market value or above for his services so he's done playing until he gets that. How ever long he sits will be a vacation because he won't be working.

He turned down a 6yr./33 mil offer last year, so how was he not offered anything fair? It won't be a vacation, trust me. He'll be fuming the whole time knowing he could be getting millions, but instead chose to listen to some greedy **** agent that put him out of work.

What you don't realize is that a team can't fine a player they don't have under contract. He'll get paid prorated on the amount of games he plays - ie 6/16ths of 7.2 million (with no fines). That said players only have a limited number of years to play and it could hurt his value by sitting out. Although the example you used was a bad one as Gilbert got paid even though he did sit out a year (And so did the Skins with two firsts).

...and what happens next year when they tag him again? He going to sit out another year? You mean his value is going to stay the same while he sits out 2 years of football?

CBA say 2nd consecutive franchise year means his franchise value goes from top 5 at his position to top five in the whole league. That's QB's included. No team would ever pay top five league money to a LB, therefore the cheap Bears would never franchise him the 2nd year to prove a point. If they do, he just shows up and gets paid QB money for 1 year before being totally free after that year as the CBA doesn't allow 3 consecutive franchise years. In that scenario he would totally break the bank between the 1 year money and the SB he'll get from a new club. --- Advantage Briggs

I only heard about 2 teams that were interested in TO. Dallas and Denver. What are the other three teams?

He turned down a 6yr./33 mil offer last year, so how was he not offered anything fair? It won't be a vacation, trust me. He'll be fuming the whole time knowing he could be getting millions, but instead chose to listen to some greedy **** agent that put him out of work.

I don't recall all the teams, but I remember reading an article on ESPN that list all five. I do recall Dallas, Denver, and ATL. GB and the Texans are the other two I think. Regardless of the actual names, his value had not lessoned even though he was being talked about as a team cancer.

Additionally, The Bears said the Redskins are the only suitor, do you think they are going to reveal the true number of person interested in his services and strengthen Briggs' position? :doh: The Bears have probably been fielding offers from similar teams, but are trying to rob the redskins a la the Broncos in years of late. That's why they are trying to pry a player along with #6 for Briggs.

Brian, I'm not sure you fully understand the new CBA. I suggest reading up on it: http://www.nflpa.org/CBA/CBA.aspx

I don't want you to think I'm some fan of Briggs, I actually don't want the Skins to complete the deal. I am a fan of strategy and I like seeing how situations play out considering the terms of the CBA. I first became interested in knowing the terms of the CBA when Champ was forcing the Redskins' hand.

The skins were dead-in the water with Champ. The only thing that was going to keep him here was the franchise tag and the FO knew it. I think they hoped the Gibbs regime could convince him that things were changing for the better and that he would want to remain. Champ had his mind set on leaving. All things consider even, he was still going to leave because he wanted to be with a winning organization that had a shot at a SB. When the FO accepted this reality they decided to get something for nothing with Champ and got CP in the deal. We got hammered if you consider the fact that we gave up the best CB in the game and a draft pick for an up-and-coming RB.

Archived