Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins Offseason '07 - May not be quite as dumb as you think...

KDawg

Question...what if the trade does go through and we have had a plan the whole time to package a couple of picks (including maybe a second rounder from next season) plus a player to move back up in this years round #1 and we get either Carriker, Moses or maybe even Branch? Would you still consider the Briggs deal as being "horrendous?"

If what Gibbs says is true (which is always suspect), we are going to keep all of our remaining draft picks for next season. Regardless, I'd rather keep all of our picks and select from the 31 spot - which will do nothing for our D-line.

If what Gibbs says is true (which is always suspect), we are going to keep all of our remaining draft picks for next season. Regardless, I'd rather keep all of our picks and select from the 31 spot - which will do nothing for our D-line.

I don't think he was so much referring to that scenario as the only possible occurence. I think he just threw that out there to suggest we may have a plan. I dunno, I'm not him, but that's what I got out of it.

have they drafted Jamarcus Russell yet or traded for Lance Briggs yet? Until it happens let's leave it alone, I love how we're criticizing things before they happen now. We might as well start a fire Gibbs campaign because everybody thinks we've already gone 0-16, and while we're at it we can go ahead and plan Syder's Funeral in 2059 because we'd rather deal with things that haven't happend yet, right? Let's wait and see if they do have a plan before we start saying they don't...and if it turns out they don't have a plan, then you guys can criticize our trade for Briggs and our trade of next years 1st 2nd and 3rd round picks to go up to #1 and draft JaMarcus Russell and our trade of Clinton Portis to draft Calvin Johnson all you want...but until anything actually happens, could we please stop assuming everything they say in the media is going to?

I don't think he was so much referring to that scenario as the only possible occurence. I think he just threw that out there to suggest we may have a plan. I dunno, I'm not him, but that's what I got out of it.

There really is no scenario with Briggs that doesn't involve wasting the three picks used to acquire Rocky or not fixing our defensive line (unless we throw away picks from next year to move back up).

have they drafted Jamarcus Russell yet or traded for Lance Briggs yet? Until it happens let's leave it alone, I love how we're criticizing things before they happen now. We might as well start a fire Gibbs campaign because everybody thinks we've already gone 0-16, and while we're at it we can go ahead and plan Syder's Funeral in 2059 because we'd rather deal with things that haven't happend yet, right? Let's wait and see if they do have a plan before we start saying they don't...and if it turns out they don't have a plan, then you guys can criticize our trade for Briggs and our trade of next years 1st 2nd and 3rd round picks to go up to #1 and draft JaMarcus Russell and our trade of Clinton Portis to draft Calvin Johnson all you want...but until anything actually happens, could we please stop assuming everything they say in the media is going to?

:clap:

Bravo!

:cheers:

Excellent post.

There really is no scenario with Briggs that doesn't involve wasting the three picks used to acquire Rocky or not fixing our defensive line.

Unless of course, you know, they haven't given up on Rocky...

Maybe they want to use Rocky as a somewhat permanent sub among all 3 LB positions?

Maybe they're going to create packages for Rocky to be involved in...

Maybe they're grooming Rocky to be the next MLB or OLB...

Maybe they don't think Marcus Washington is going to come back from injury.

I dunno what to tell you, there's plenty of reasons why they would bring Briggs in. I've gone on record saying I don't like the idea of the Briggs trade, but if it happens, guess what? It happens. My hope will be the team does well off of it.

I'm not going to hope the move fails just because I didn't like it.

Yeah, believe me when I say that I am no GM. I was just throwing something together as an example of a plan that the FO might have already have in place.

Unless of course, you know, they haven't given up on Rocky...

Maybe they want to use Rocky as a somewhat permanent sub among all 3 LB positions?

Maybe they're going to create packages for Rocky to be involved in...

Maybe they're grooming Rocky to be the next MLB or OLB...

Maybe they don't think Marcus Washington is going to come back from injury.

I dunno what to tell you, there's plenty of reasons why they would bring Briggs in. I've gone on record saying I don't like the idea of the Briggs trade, but if it happens, guess what? It happens. My hope will be the team does well off of it.

I'm not going to hope the move fails just because I didn't like it.

Don't know about you, but if I ran a team, I'd get more out of two second-rounders and one-sixth rounder than one substitute/long-term project player. We haven't even given Rocky a chance to blossom and we're already ready to kick him to the curb AND give up our top pick that should be used elsewhere. We're talking about a serious misallocation of resources here. It goes back to having no plan, and not knowing how to cut your losses or build appropriately

Don't know about you, but if I ran a team, I'd get more out of two second-rounders and one-sixth rounder than a mere substitute. We haven't even given Rocky a chance to blossom and we're already ready to kick him to the curb and give up our top pick. We're talking about a serious misallocation of resources here. It goes back to having no plan, and not knowing how to cut your losses or build appropriately

*sigh*

Again with the "kicking him to the curb" analogy.

How are we kicking him to the curb? He's going into his second year... MW and LF-B are both oldish. They can play a few more years and then will need to be replaced. Just because we acquire another LB doesn't mean Rocky has become camp fodder...

It means we have depth. Unnecessary depth, I agree with you, but depth none the less.

*sigh*

Again with the "kicking him to the curb" analogy.

How are we kicking him to the curb? He's going into his second year... MW and LF-B are both oldish. They can play a few more years and then will need to be replaced. Just because we acquire another LB doesn't mean Rocky has become camp fodder...

It means we have depth. Unnecessary depth, I agree with you, but depth none the less.

We already have depth at all 3 spots - his name is Lemar Marshall. You don't give up two second-rounders for depth. Rocky needs to start. We have too many other holes to start getting luxury players. That pick, spent on the D-line, makes the redskins a better team down the line than it does being used to get a position thats already filled and will be, at best, marginally upgraded.

We already have depth at all 3 spots - his name is Lemar Marshall. You don't give up two second-rounders for depth. Rocky needs to start. We have too many other holes to start getting luxury players. That pick, spend on the D-line, makes the redskins a better team down the line than it does being used to get a position thats already filled and will be, at best, marginally upgraded.

And if the trade goes through and we DO pick DL at 31, what then?

What if it doesn't go through and we pick DL at 6?

Why does a player have to start in order to have an impact?

Are we sure Lemar is going to be here next season quite yet?

If he is here, who says he and Rocky along with a few of the other backers won't get in a nice little rotation?

I must have missed several memos.

If he is here, who says he and Rocky along with a few of the other backers won't get in a nice little rotation?

What if what if what if. I'm talking about probability and use of resources. In the end the draft is a gamble. The quality of D-line at 31 is severely lower than that at 6, at least with regard to what can be predicted. We have needs we need to fill, and not enough picks to fill them. Let's at least fill some of them before we start giving away picks for extra linebackers.

What if what if what if. I'm talking about probability and use of resources. In the end the draft is a gamble. The quality of D-line at 31 is severely lower than that at 6, at least with regard to what can be predicted. We have needs we need to fill, and not enough picks to fill them. Let's at least fill some of them before we start giving away picks for extra linebackers.

I don't disagree with your sentiment about the draft. I don't want Briggs.

But man, what are you doing if I'm the one saying all the "what ifs"?

You're not speaking on things with any more probability than I am. It's all a guessing game. So why go negative with it? Have some faith in your team. You'll find it to be much easier to get through your days when you believe...

At some point you come to the conclusion that you like a move, dislike it, or are indifferent to it. I think this move stinks to the core. Nothing is 100%, but I find the arguments to that conclusion to be far more reasonable. In the end, it doesn't really matter what any of us think - only what Dan thinks. If I had reason to trust our front office, I would shut up, but I really have no faith in them, and they haven't done anything consistently to convince me otherwise.

I'll take option "A." I'm glad we're not buying up all the free agents this offseason. The only two big acquisitions we got are both at least somewhat familiar with the Greg Williams system.

Also, we re-signed Thomas, Jansen, Betts and Sellers; guys that are essential to the success of this team IMO and I'm sure we'll see Cooley and Taylor extended as well.

In short, I think Gibbs and the Redskins are playing their cards smarter than they used to.

At some point you come to the conclusion that you like a move, dislike it, or are indifferent to it. I think this move stinks to the core. Nothing is 100%, but I find the arguments to that conclusion to be far more reasonable. In the end, it doesn't really matter what any of us think - only what Dan thinks. If I had reason to trust our front office, I would shut up, but I really have no faith in them, and they haven't done anything consistently to convince me otherwise.

I still disagree. But props for being civil about it.

:cheers:

My guess is that Lamar will be gone in 08, Washington may have to restructure to stay in 08. So, getting Briggs and moving Rocky to SLB may be where they are going as he has played all 3 positions in College. Then draft a young MLB in 08 draft to replace Fletcher in 1 year.

Guest NebraSKIN

Yup, too mutch ****ing going on out there in Extremeskins land. I get sick of it. Everything from the FO to what threads people post. I joined this site a year ago or so. I was excited at first, but as the season wore on last year I became very turned off on it. Too many negative people out there sucking their thumb becasue they do not get their way . . . . or at least cannot control the team. A bunch of crap if you ask me. It does provide good comedic releif, however.

I agree with your thread. This offseason may not be quite as dumb as most think.

Sit back, relax, and know that we have just as much of a chance as anybody else out there regardless of what moves you THINK are good and which ones you THINK are bad. There is so much parity in the league these days that people get way too caught up in it. I speak from experience . . . . becasue last year I chimed in and prediced a SB berth for us. Boy was I wrong, but I did not write one bad word about our team. Not after a win, not after a loss.

Relax everybody. Maybe you're reading a bit too much into EVERYTHING. Honestly, I do not know how many of you even enjoy the sport of football. You just read too much into the business side of this thing. You let other people's OPINION sway you way too much.

Nice post. It is all going to fall together for the Skins in the near future, only one team a year gets it perfect. Our time is soon...

Other points...

CB's much better with addition of Smoot

LB's = best in league if we can aquire Briggs.......we have to make that happen

It seems to me there's all kinds of possibilities. One thing that seems over looked is players on the roster. I'll admit I don't know much about the current cap situation, but the Redskins do have a fair amount of solid players. And if they trade up and get Russell then Campbell is expendable. If they want Calvin Johnson does anyone think they'll go into the season with Moss, Lloyd, amd Randle El. One or even two of those guys might be trade bait. They've got three CB's who've started in this league at the moment. If they drafted a DE then say Philip Daniels might me able to net a pick, if the draft a DT then what about either Salave'a or Griffin, since Goldston proved himself starting caliber?

Archived