Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Great Klosterman article from espn.com

Spaceman Spiff

That was an awesome article and will get no attention because sports fans don't like to think about this stuff.

Notice the two posts before this one. The idea that only the players who are caught are cheaters still prevails. As if it is perfectly natural for Clinton Portis to be as strong and fast as he is. (Not that I am accusing CP of anything).

That was an awesome article and will get no attention because sports fans don't like to think about this stuff.

Notice the two posts before this one. The idea that only the players who are caught are cheaters still prevails. As if it is perfectly natural for Clinton Portis to be as strong and fast as he is. (Not that I am accusing CP of anything).

It's only cheating if you get caught. :)

Really, I like to think they're innocent until proven guilty. Though there are some players where I think it's really obvious *Sammy Sosa*.

Well, he's right. There is a double standard out there, and I'm not sure if there is ever a way that it can be truely resolved.

I think the consequences in the NFL are far less than in Baseball. Baseball fans are often concerned about the purity of the game and get up in arms when any change happens. Also, Baseball is considered a "gentleman's" game, where good sportsmanship is worshiped (even if some of the great players of the game weren't very sportsmanlike).

Football, on the other hand, celebrates the violence of the sport. We cheer when a player lays on a big hit, not really thinking about the effects that can have on either player. We want our guys to be nasty, without going over the line (whatever the vague line is.) Football being Gladitorial isn't that far from the truth.

Football fans can forgive many foibles of players as long as they continue to be good players on the field. It is a lot tougher in baseball.

Jason

Archived