Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Definitive 200

Dan T.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the National Association of Recording Merchandisers has released "The Definitive 200, a list of 200 ranked albums that every music lover should own, celebrating classic recordings by favorite iconic and contemporary artists."

The top albums, according to the list:

1. Sgt. Peppers' Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles

2. Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd

3. Thriiller - Michael Jackson

4. Led Zepplin IV - Led Zepplin

5. Joshua Tree - U2

6. Exile on Main Street - Rolling Stones

7. Tapestry - Carole King

8. Highway 61 Revisited - Bob Dylan

9. Pet Sounds - Beach Boys

10. Nevermind - Nirvana

A look through the 200 is very interesting. I was surprised at some of the entries.

Take a look.

http://www.definitive200.com

What's missing? What should not be on there? What should be ranked higher?

A couple of omissions, IMO - no James Brown, no Ramones, and no Allman Brothers Eat a Peach.

I am a Beatles fan. I'll say that right off the bat.

But what is the freaking deal with Sgt. Pepper's? They have literally 7 or 8 other albums that are better than SP. But that's the only album anyone ever wants to talk about.

As far as an essential album to own, I would put Revolver, the White Album, Rubber Soul, Help, Abbey Road, Can't Buy Me Love, and Meet the Beatles over Sgt. Peppers. Seriously, I don't get it.

I am a Beatles fan. I'll say that right off the bat.

But what is the freaking deal with Sgt. Pepper's? They have literally 7 or 8 other albums that are better than SP. But that's the only album anyone ever wants to talk about.

As far as an essential album to own, I would put Revolver, the White Album, Rubber Soul, Help, Abbey Road, Can't Buy Me Love, and Meet the Beatles over Sgt. Peppers. Seriously, I don't get it.

I agree with there being better Beatles albums - but Sgt. Peppers means more to music than any of those albums.

Don't feel bad. I only have 6. (Seriously- who owns "Tapestry?")

I have it on vinyl and cd - GREAT album.

I agree with there being better Beatles albums - but Sgt. Peppers means more to music than any of those albums.

I mean, yeah, it probably was the first real "conceptual album," but I don't think it means more to music. I think people thought that at the time b/c it seemed like it was the apex of musical genius, but in retrospect, they were doing MUCH bolder stuff on Revolver, Rubber Soul, and the White Album.

I mean, yeah, it probably was the first real "conceptual album," but I don't think it means more to music. I think people thought that at the time b/c it seemed like it was the apex of musical genius, but in retrospect, they were doing MUCH bolder stuff on Revolver, Rubber Soul, and the White Album.

Pink Floyd did much bolder stuff than Dark Side, yet that is always the one that is going to get the most press. Once the reputation has been build, it's hard to knock it down.

Pink Floyd did much bolder stuff than Dark Side, yet that is always the one that is going to get the most press. Once the reputation has been build, it's hard to knock it down.

DSOTM was always the most commercially successful Floyd album until the last few years (the Wall has sold at a much higher rate recently, strangely enough), as well as (IMO) being the best album, both conceptually and musically, that they ever put out. (And Floyd is my fav. band.)

Sgt. Peppers doesn't fall into either category.

BTW- there are some AWFUL albums on that list. Titanic Soundtrack, Kenny G "Breathless"...

I still don't get how Nevermind keeps getting rated so high. So the dude killed himself that doesn't make him a musical genius :rolleyes:

That album was monumental in the pop culture way before he killed himself.

Nirvana had released two other albums by the time that Kurt bit the bullet.

That album was monumental in the pop culture way before he killed himself.

Nirvana had released two other albums by the time that Kurt bit the bullet.

Britney Spears was a pop culture phenomenon too.

In Utero was a mess, there's maybe 2 decent songs on the track. They just manage to tap in to the mindless teen anger of the early 90s. The whole stupid Gen X thing with the rise of MTV made Nirvana.

Alice in Chains and Soundgarden were much better band who acutally wrote decent lyrics. Even Pearl Jam with a mubbling Eddie Veder wrote better stuff.

In Utero was a mess, there's maybe 2 decent songs on the track. They just manage to tap in to the mindless teen anger of the early 90s. The whole stupid Gen X thing with the rise of MTV made Nirvana.

Alice in Chains and Soundgarden were much better band who acutally wrote decent lyrics. Even Pearl Jam with a mubbling Eddie Veder wrote better stuff.

I don't disagree that In Utero wasn't a great album. (We're talking about Nevermind, though.) Nor that Nirvana's success came as a product of the "mindless teen anger of the early 90s" that was fueled by "The whole stupid Gen X thing with the rise of MTV."

But for whatever reason, it was huge. It was immensely influential, spawning hundreds of other similarly-sounding bands.

And so it's understandable that such an immensely influential and popular album made this top 10 list.

Leave Britney out of this. She has nothing to do with Nirvana. And, "In Utero" is a freakin great album. Period.

Archived