Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Draft History (An interesting tidbit)

MVPWilliams17

This is a great part of NFL.com website...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/teams/WAS

Take a look at the glory years of the Skins in the 80's. Not a lot of first round picks used/taken. it looks we stock piled a lot of later round picks and actually picked up some gems later on...

Charles Mann ... 3rd Round 1983

Raleigh McKenzie ... 11th Round 1985

Kurt Gouveia ... 8th Round 1986

Mark Schlereth ... 10th Round 1989

Check the page out to see more. All this to say that, it may not be such a bad idea to trade down and acquire more picks for are, what seems to be much coveted 6th overall.

Thoughts?

This is a great part of NFL.com website...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/teams/WAS

Take a look at the glory years of the Skins in the 80's. Not a lot of first round picks used/taken. it looks we stock piled a lot of later round picks and actually picked up some gems later on...

Charles Mann ... 3rd Round 1983

Raleigh McKenzie ... 11th Round 1985

Kurt Gouveia ... 8th Round 1986

Mark Schlereth ... 10th Round 1989

Check the page out to see more. All this to say that, it may not be such a bad idea to trade down and acquire more picks for are, what seems to be much coveted 6th overall.

Thoughts?

you mean when we had a GM?

good point- some key ones you missed. It's kinda sad to look back at ALL of the wasted picks from back then. Hopefully we have better luck this year.

Rypien- 6th rounder- became Superbowl MVP

Timmy Smith- 5th rounder- Superbowl Record Holder- most yards in a game

Keenan McCardell- 12th rounder (I didnt remember him as a skin at all)

Frank Wycheck- 6th rounder (one of the few good picks after the first gibbs regime)

Uhh... if your point is that we should get good players in later rounds....... I mean, I guess I agree?

Our recent track record seems to indicate that our ability to successfully choose in the later rounds, however, is pretty terrible.

Someone needs to convince me that we'll draft wisely before I jump up and down and scream hallelujah because we have a few extra ****ing picks.

You can thank Norv for getting rid of Mccardell and Wycheck.

Why keep them around when you've Jamie Asher and Tytus Wyans (sp?)?

To be fair, Wycheck was implicated on steriod use. I don't recall the exact circumstances, though I'm sure some Terp fan will elaborate, but my feeling was Norv let him go because of that. Didn't Wycheck get suspended for steriods??

Also, Asher looked like the real deal for a while there.

Can't argue against letting McCardell go though.

Hail,

H

To be fair, Wycheck was implicated on steriod use. I don't recall the exact circumstances, though I'm sure some Terp fan will elaborate, but my feeling was Norv let him go because of that. Didn't Wycheck get suspended for steriods??

Also, Asher looked like the real deal for a while there.

Can't argue against letting McCardell go though.

Hail,

H

Wycheck had a quad injury that he rubbed some balm on he said. The ointment/balm had a steroid in it. He might have known, who knows, but he was somewhat successful after being released.

Norv is not a leader. The GM has got to go. fire vinny.

This was back in the days of Bobby Beathard, perhaps the best low round drafter of all time. His track record in the higher rounds was solid but not spectacular if I remember right, although he did bring in both Monk and Green when most Skins were saying "who?" However, he was a god from round 4 on.

McCardell had Monk, Clark and Sanders in front of him at the time. Hard to keep a guy when you've got The Posse.

As for later round gems, the Skins used to excel at those because of the scouting department. Now every team is pretty much on equal footing so bringing in some of those guys is not quite as easy as it used to be.

Uhh... if your point is that we should get good players in later rounds....... I mean, I guess I agree?

Our recent track record seems to indicate that our ability to successfully choose in the later rounds, however, is pretty terrible.

Someone needs to convince me that we'll draft wisely before I jump up and down and scream hallelujah because we have a few extra ****ing picks.

What do you mean by terrible? Against the rest of the NFL, we do better than average. Anyway, most of those guys would have been UDFAs in todays environment.

Late round/UDFAs are late rounder/UDFAs for a reason, they need to develop, they may do only a limited number of things well, or they get reps when the other guys are beaten. To develop, you need a consistent system, a coaching staff confident in they're ability to spot talent, a team that believes in their system, a staff that'll give you game reps, you must have some inate confidence, and maybe, a team already in the top tier (or about to break into it). To magnify your strengths and hide your weaknesses, you need to be on a team that has the same aspects as a developmental guy plus a system that plays to the your strengths. In either case, it helps to have a few top-notch guys around you and a good attitude. When the other guys are whipped, it is easier to play good and its a good opportunity to show the coaches what you can do. Remember, success breeds confidence and confidence has as much to do with your success as your physical skills.

Instead of Beathard there is this former GM of the Packers that lives in Annapolis, Md... some guy named Ron Wolf.

Ron Wolf wanted partial ownership. Snyder wasn't willing to do that even though it was like 1% or so. That is a lot of money, though, when talking about this org.

Very much disagree, those were very good teams. A good GM has a positive effect only at the margin.

And what made them good teams? Good players? Who decides what players are on the team?

I think those were very good teams because the GM picked very good players and we had a very good coach who made them play to their potential in his system and style.

A very bad GM is evident of what we have had since Snyder/Vinny have been selecting players.

Archived