Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dre Bly

shedrick

sounds good to me...I bet we trade a 2008 pick hopefully 2nd day.

here is his scouting report:

Bly is an outstanding athlete who has excellent body control and quickness. He doesn't waste much motion, has very fluid hips and can turn and run on a dime. He has a rare combination of quickness to cover the slot and top-end speed to play on the perimeter. He is as good as it gets when it comes to mirroring a receiver in coverage. He is very confident and loves to challenge bigger receivers. He is competitive and plays a little bigger than his size suggests. He is a playmaker who always seems to be in the right place at the right time. He has excellent recovery ability when he does make a mistake. But Bly is undersized and not very physical. He sometimes has trouble against size receivers who can push off to create separation. He isn't much help in run support. He struggles to shed blocks and seems a little indifferent. He is ****y and will take some unnecessary chances. He misses some open-field tackles. He tends to get banged up.

EDIT - The guy only has one more year under contract, I belive 4.2 mil base salary do you think we would give him an extention and lower his hit or just keep him on for the season on a trial basis to see how he turns out.

Trade LLoyd and speed up the cap hit? No thanks. Gotta have some patience folks.

So does the Front office. I understand Joe doesn't have much time, but giving away these picks are killer. We essentially gave up a first round pick (this year's second rounder) last year (plus other picks) for one year of Rocky Mac.

Bly is old and will cost plenty. Find a decent option in FA (Hood), trade down, use a second round pick to grow some talent.

It's time for.... "things we know"

1) Greg Williams like large DBs... 5-11/200lbs is his prototype. See Carlos Rogers, Shawn Springs, Walt Harris, Kenny Wright.

2) Dre Bly is 5-9, 185.

3) Why does Dre Bly want out of Detroit?

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/NFL_Czar

"

Detroit will trade cornerback Dre’ Bly and pass rusher James Hall, who had five sacks last season before ending up on injured-reserve. The Lions owe Hall a $500,000 bonus next month and they aren’t going to pay him. Bly wants out because he’s not a classic cover-two cornerback; he’s not interested in run-support tackling."

Does this sound like a match to anyone? Am I missing something?

no thanks. I'll take a younger Nate Clements please.

I agree. Bly is pretty good in certain areas but there are some things in that scouting report that give me pause. The fact that he is undersized and not very physical is pretty much the opposite of what GW looks for in a corner; it also says he is not very good in run support. Clements is the opposite in all three of those areas in addition to having all the coverage skills of Bly. Indifferent? ****y? Misses open field tackles? Gets banged up easily? No thanks, I'd rather have Clements, even though he will cost much more.

1) Greg Williams like large DBs... 5-11/200lbs is his prototype. See Carlos Rogers, Shawn Springs, Walt Harris, Kenny Wright.

2) Dre Bly is 5-9, 185.

"

Detroit will trade cornerback Dre’ Bly and pass rusher James Hall, who had five sacks last season before ending up on injured-reserve. The Lions owe Hall a $500,000 bonus next month and they aren’t going to pay him. Bly wants out because he’s not a classic cover-two cornerback; he’s not interested in run-support tackling."

Like the article says, he doesn't like the cover-two. He shouldn't even be considered here then. Clements is one of the top 3 CB's in the NFL. My hopes are that he's on the plane with Fletcher.

2) Dre Bly is 5-9, 185.

"

Thank you for posting that, it is exactly what I thought about these rumors. I think this Bly stuff is a smokescreen to shield the NC negotiations.

2) Dre Bly is 5-9, 185.

"

Everybody knows this about Bly...the fact of the matter is John Clayton simply doesn't just spew nonsense, most of his rumors are substantial...

GW used far more cover 2 last year than ever before, could he be veereing away from it considering that he has never had a defense play that badly? possibly...?

Thank you for posting that, it is exactly what I thought about these rumors. I think this Bly stuff is a smokescreen to shield the NC negotiations.

That thought was in the back of my mind, but what does it matter since we are headed to Buffalo to pick up Fletcher and as I have alluded to I'm sure Clements will be on board as well. We desperately need both Fletcher and Clements on this team.

i remember last year when people were surprised we got both Lloyd and Randle El.

I am fearful this is a repeat with Bly and Clements. Please let this all be a smokescreen.

Would Bly and Clements be a bad thing...its certainly an upgrade from Rogers and Wright, am I wrong?

I'd really like this guy for our #3 cornerback. If the Lions don't release him, then I'd have to re-think it, but if they do we should give him like a 3 year/6 mill contract to be our nickel back.

As for our #2 guy, we should jump all over Fred Smoot who is most likely gonna be released by the Vikings. He is a playmaker and could be very good.

I think we should make Carlos Rogers our #1 CB NOW. We spent a Top 10 pick on him, and by his 3rd year he HAS to step up his play, so I fully expect Joe Gibbs to give him the confidence he needs.

Archived