Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving to DC (Questions for you DC Area Natives Pt. 2)

#98QBKiller

I started a thread a few weeks back about me possibly relocating to DC and I remember I received quite a bit of advice from everyone.

Well it turns out I will be relocating to the area by the end of March or beginning of April.

My job will be in downtown DC, a few blocks off of the Dupont Circle metro stop. My girlfriend is getting a job in south Maryland and all of the people she met at her job told her that they live in north Virginia and commute and that she would likely be better off doing the same.

We've checked out the area and we're looking to live in NOVA somewhere. Right now I'm definitely leaning toward Arlington, because of the location and the population of people our age.

I just wanted to check in and see if there's anything any of you want to throw at me about the NOVA area...is it less expensive/more convenient to live in Alexandria or elsewhere in the area?

Any advice is appreciated.

Arlington is nice, but I think its pretty expensive. Specifically you'd want Ballston or Clarendon area...right on the metro and near all the bars and such. Definitely a party scene.

Ballston area is awesome, I would definitely suggest that, or even Rosslyn if you could find something in between those areas.

Are you looking to buy or rent? And for either option, what price range are you looking in?

Good point, I should've mentioned that. I'm looking to rent for about the first year, just a one bedroom. Not a studio but a one bedroom with a separate living room/kitchen and maybe dining room. We're looking to keep it under $1200/month.

Sucks to have to leave this area. Good luck to you.

Thanks man. It is wonderful down here especially in the winter, but I've been in the Port City for 6 years now and in NC nearly my whole life. I'm actually looking forward to a little change.

Don't drive in the left lane!!!!

:laugh: I'm not one of "them."

Check out South Arlington definitely...Clarendor or Ballston will be a little tough at $1200. My girlfriend used to live at a place called The Park at Arlington Ridge...pretty nice place overall.

The guy who just moved into my spare room was paying $1600 for a small 2BR off of Wilson...so a 1BR in the area will probably be around 13-1400 for a decent sized place, I would imagine.

Virginia touts are going to push you one way or another based on their preferences. I am more interested in exactly where your g-friend is working. South Maryland could mean anywhere and is certainly not enough info to give one a good idea of a decent launching point.

Her job is in Lanham, MD and her co-workers have told her it's a 40 minute commute on 495 from Arlington.

Also, I just found some nice apartments in Alexandria at a very good price. Any info on Alexandria would be great as well.

I live in Alexandria - what part are you looking at?

Alexandria is one of those tricky cities where its nice for a block, then ghetto for a block. But not like superficial ghetto, like REAL ghetto. :laugh:

Off of Huntington Ave and Telegraph road very close to the Metro....is it ghetto?

That's the Route 1 corridor south of Old Town Alexandria if I'm correct. It's not really ghetto (if it's the apartments I'm thinking of), but it's not really close to anything. Your drive in the morning is gonna suck from down there.

Her job is in Lanham, MD and her co-workers have told her it's a 40 minute commute on 495 from Arlington.
For a couple working in Dupont Circle and Lanham, I would not wish Virginia on them if they were serial killers. Especially when given their pick of anywhere in the D.C. area. Silver Spring would be my first suggestion.

For a couple working in Dupont Circle and Lanham, I would not wish Virginia on them if they were serial killers. Especially when given their pick of anywhere in the D.C. area. Silver Spring would be my first suggestion.

Is that because of the commute times?

That's the Route 1 corridor south of Old Town Alexandria if I'm correct. It's not really ghetto (if it's the apartments I'm thinking of), but it's not really close to anything. Your drive in the morning is gonna suck from down there.

She has to drive to Lanham, I just have to metro into town at Dupont Circle.

She has to drive to Lanham, I just have to metro into town at Dupont Circle.

I understand...that's just not an area that has much going on. If you want an Arlington like area, you need to move closer in (though at this location you are fairly close to Old Town Alexandria which can be nice.)

Archived