Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving to DC (Questions for you DC Area Natives Pt. 2)

#98QBKiller

Is that because of the commute times?

Has your girlfriend ever commuted everyday in bumper-to-bumper traffic for an hour each way in a completely dysfunctional, hyper-aggressive environment. If the answer is yes, then you can live where you wish. If the answer is no, I would suggest starting out closer to her work. Perhaps you can stay in a hotel in Ballston for a week when she starts work to let her see the reality of what she is in for. Maybe she'll have no problems.

Off of Huntington Ave and Telegraph road very close to the Metro....is it ghetto?

I live extremely close to that very area, in fact I'm within walking distance. I know the exact apartments you are talking about and no it isnt ghetto. The housing areas about a half mile past the metro used to be a little shaky, but with the building of huge brand new luxury condos and townhomes in that area in which those apartments are, it actually has been transformed. Even those housing areas which used to be shaky have turned into prime real estate. You can throw a rock and hit 495 as well as the metro. It's very conveniant. Some other really nice apartments are Archstone Alexandria. It sits right on the border of south arlington and Alexandria. It's a 20 second drive to 395 (which puts you on 495) and is also a quick drive to pentagon metro. Archstone Alexandria (port village) also has very spacious floor plans if thats what you want.

Youll find out that no matter where you stay in the Arlington/Alexandria area it is only a short drive to night life. If you stay near Huntington you just get on telegraph where it turns to Duke Street... make a right on Quaker and follow that bad boy to 395. All of the Arlington hot areas are right off 395 as well as DC's if you just drive 5-10 minutes further. Also man, no matter where you stay around here whether it be MD, DC, or VA there will be traffic. You can worry abotu alternate routes and things to that nature once you figure out the area. I live near huntington and all of my favorite places to go dont take me long at all. I spend alot of time in the Clarendon area (lots of good bars and places to eat) and New York Avenue in DC. (close to Dupont). Getting there is rarely a hassle. I've even run into Skinshokiefan in Mr. Days. He had a few drinks I dont really know if hed remember...:laugh:

The apartments on the corner of Rt. 1 and Huntington are ok, but I think when you get further back between Huntington Metro Station and Telegraph it gets a little dicey. Unless that is where LiveStrong said they were sprucing it up.

It would definitely be easier for the gf to get to Lanham from there rather than Arlington.

The apartments on the corner of Rt. 1 and Huntington are ok, but I think when you get further back between Huntington Metro Station and Telegraph it gets a little dicey. Unless that is where LiveStrong said they were sprucing it up.

It would definitely be easier for the gf to get to Lanham from there rather than Arlington.

The housing developments off Huntington Avenue used to be dicey some years back. Since then, they have built huge luxury townhomes and a HUGE condo highrise that borders telegraph road. Even the duplex homes that used to be considered dicey are selling for really high prices. That area next to the metro is considered gold. I live where Telegraph intersects Franconia so I drive through there pretty often and I must say it has come a long way.

Archived