Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Honda Radio "CODE" error

H-O-G

Well, apparently my raido display screen says, "CODE". I don't know how to get the serial number other than removing the raido and then calling honda headquarters and having them giving me the code. Any advice of some place that would take out my radio for really cheap. I stopped by a Honda dealership this morning and they wanted $85.00 to take out my radio and read the serial number to me. Please tell me there is a cheaper way to get my radio taken out. Oh and I tried press 1 & 6 at the same time but doesn't work.

What year is your car ?

Seems to me that the radio code was in the paperwork of my 99 Accord.

Also I dont recall needed the radio serial number to reset it.

I would call or stop by another dealer to inquire.

1993 honda civic.

I bought from private dealer and they didn't have the radio code or anything.

The dealership service center or the service 800 number should be able to give you the code w/the vin number to the car, not the serial number to the radio. If that was the case it would defeat the purpose of having the code system, anyone could steal the radio, call and read the serial number and get the code????

A new radio is also a good fix, and likely better sound but it looks like you're trying to save money so....

Open the glove compartment and look look for a sticker on the left side. Once you find it, look for a any combination of 5 digits that are grouped together. This just happened in our Odyssey and the dealer told us that it can be found there 99% of the time on Hondas.

Yah when I took it to the dealer we looked in the glove box and the trunk for any sticker with a ID number on it. No such luck.

HOG, do yourself a favor and buy a new head unit, Honda's radios are pieces of ****. I did the complete install, speakers, head unit, amps, subs on my 04 civic, it is a ***** but do it yourself if you've got any type car audio install experience and buy from crutchfield, good prices, they send you all the parts you need and instructions to do it. Plus there customer service is fantastic.

Hog, dont buy a new head until from circuit ****y or best buy, you'll have to go back for something im sure. Being in Orlando, im positive there are audio shops around that know what they are doing, FL is huge for custom car audio shops, even if its just for a head unit , it will save you from having to make a trip back for something going wrong because the n00bs at those retail chains are, well, idiots.

that is really weird that holding the 1 and 6 did not work it usually does are you sure they guy todl you how to do it correctly? otherwise just take out the stereo yourself it is super simple and you can find tons of guides online and then just give them the serial no.

Hog, found this info online, quoting what this person wrote.

"PLEASE everyone listen to me! This has happened to me twice. I discovered a very easy and FREE way to fix your radio. Make sure your radio is OFF. Hold down the preset buttons 1 and 6 at the same time. Turn the radio on and your SERIAL NUMBER will appear. 4 numbers first and then 4 more. Write them down (obviously) then call (800) 999-1009. Make sure you have your VIN number handy because they will ask for it. They will ask for your name and approx. milage, and your radio's serial number. They will then give you your radio unlock code--WRITE IT DOWN!"

Archived