Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Explanation on why our secondary was exposed from a Player

Lavarleap56

So i was talkin to a former Cb yesterday and the topic came up on Dale Lindsay and Steve Jackson and some good info I guess came out of it. Dale Lindsay was second guessed by almost every defensive player on the skins for allowing Holdman to continue to start and leave Rocky on the bench. Rocky was ready to get full time reps by around game 4 but never really got the oppurtunity for whatever reason. Williams allows and trust his positional coaches to basically set the starting group for there positions and Lindsay greatly failed in that regard.

Now what i think is the hot topic of sorts Sean Taylor and our secondary.

How in one year can Taylor go from a covering machine and playmaker in his first two years and the next look so out of place in coverage??

The answer is Steve Jackson and as it was told to me he "thought he invented the wheel on defense this season" hmmmm i know know who one of the espn leaks was.

Steve Jackson basically changed the techniques the Dwayne Walker had going with the secondary his previous two years. Walker allowed Taylor and the secondary read the offensive line as there tip for what was coming, BASICALLY IT IS VERY EASY!! when the ball is snapped if the line fires out low get into run support and if the line pops there head up and opens up there stance get back in coverage. To me that seems to allow very little thinking and alot more instict and reaction to come from players. Jerry Gray and the corners were still reading the line as with Walker.Sean is very aggressive so normally whatever his first read is hes going for it 100 mph so the Walker style was great for him all he had to do was read the line play make a decision and go.

Safeties coming up, corners passing recievers into the safeties zones thinking they had help it was all a mess and we sall the result.

Steve Jackson this year had the secondary read the qb and follow the ball.Sean and the safeties with Jackson had to come up hard to the line to defned the run cause they were following the qb and the ball only to get torched by play action all year. Safeties coming up to support the run and follow the ball, corners passing recievers into the safeties zones thinking they had help it was all a mess and we sall the result.

The above all makes sense to me after the Espn article the stories the quotes about the coaches taking seans agressivnessfrom him , etc.

So in short why the hell is Steve Jackson still here?

I'm not buying it.

From high school on they teach you to read the O line and react accordingly. If they "push out", its a run. If they stand up and don't attack, its a pass.

I find it hard to believe that Steve Jackson can simply tell ST......."read the ball instead", and everything goes haywire.

Secondary comes down to one thing and one thing only. Pressure up front. I don't care if you have 4 Deions in his prime back there, give a qb enough time and he will win.

Get pressure up front period, and everyone else immedietly looks 1000 times better.

if it's true it makes sense, steve jackson should be fired. HIRE DARRELL GREEN AS THE SECONDARY COACH

it is 100% true i dont post made up Bs. I am at the mercy at what players say so technically it is second hand info. This is the same guy that tried to say that Sean Springs was the mole but after talking to him yesterday it was odvious it was him.

The thing is, you had to figure Lindsay would have to go, and he did. But really the glaring thing from this year was the secondary. Did Williams approach Jackson after the year and say "change your ways. let them play". You would HAVE to imagine some sort of exchange similar to this had to happen for him to still be here. I mean, the coaching staff disected every play from every game this year and it should be as clear as day what the problem was. Hopefully they gave Jackson a talkin to and will hopefully revert back to Walker's ways.

I'm not buying it.

From high school on they teach you to read the O line and react accordingly. If they "push out", its a run. If they stand up and don't attack, its a pass.

I find it hard to believe that Steve Jackson can simply tell ST......."read the ball instead", and everything goes haywire.

Secondary comes down to one thing and one thing only. Pressure up front. I don't care if you have 4 Deions in his prime back there, give a qb enough time and he will win.

Get pressure up front period, and everyone else immedietly looks 1000 times better.

I buy it all to well actually.

According to the player we played alot of cover 4 this year and this is the predominant coverage we were exposed on the deeep posts with.

Do you remember how many times we were getting burnt on play action while we were in a zone defense???

When Springs was healthy we played better as a defense overall and it was due to us going back to the man to man on the cbs. Springs wasnt playing we were in zone most of the time.

Definitely sounds like a reasonable explanation for the secondary's struggles.

However, Rumph wasn't with the redskins when Walker was coaching. Was he just basing all of this on what others told him?

I didnt get into all that but id assume that players were comlaning about it amongst themselves a majority of the year.

I didnt get into all that but id assume that players were comlaning about it amongst themselves a majority of the year.

LL56 Would you still say Springs is out and Smoot is in? I remember you having a thread on Springs being let go. I could be wrong though.

LL56 Would you still say Springs is out and Smoot is in? I remember you having a thread on Springs being let go. I could be wrong though.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that MR was the one telling me the info that Springs was the guy that did the interview with Tom Fiend. Talking to MR yesterday though he spit back out some that quote about Jackson almost verbatum so it got my wheels turning about the article and the timeline of events.

If what lavarleap56 says is true, and it sounds very plausible, then how the hell has Jackson not been fired yet? Are the Skins still looking for a suitable replacement? I know if our D-line improves, that the secondary will have a much easier job, but I am seriously starting to have my doubts about the secondary's capablities if this stuff is true.

Jackson was already demoted, so why can't he be fired? Of course a lot of this is coming from a disgruntled player, and must be taken w/ a grain of salt. Hopefully Williams will wise up before it's too late and get rid of this "dead weight."

Archived