Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chris Hanburger Hall of Fame Snub!

HighwayPatrolLT

While all of us are upset of our latest Hall of Fame snub of Art Monk, please lets not forget probably an even bigger injustice, the total disregard of former defensive Captain Chris "the Hangman" Hanburger # 55....

4 x All-Pro, 9 x Pro Bowler, 1972 NFC Defensive player of the year. 1970's Football Digest OLB'er of the seventies ( with jack Ham) 19 career interceptions 5 TD's and who knows how many sacks, foreced fumbles, and takeaways, because believe it or not, George Allen never kept records of those statistics beyond the week following the game...so we will never know...but John Madden says Hanburger was the best he ever saw....His clothelines tackles were feared through the league...." they said he never made a tackle below the jawline"..... He called all of George Allens complex defenses from the field.....and at one point knew over 250 audibles.....

Ive read articles from 2 - 3 writers on the selection committee who all say they would support his selection, but they say there are two things other voters hold against him....number ONE that he played on some bad Redskins teams ( pre- George Allen) and Number TWO : he was EXTREMELY MEDIA UNFRIENDLY when he played.

So there it is in the nutshell, if your teams win Super Bowls, your in the Hall of Fame, and if you suck up to theses sports writers that never played a DOWN of football in their lives, they will vote for you when your done...but if you dont, they pass it along like kindergarden children for decades and make certain the new writers will remember and prevent your selection.

Its a joke, the NFL Hall of Fame selection process and committee is a joke, and it always will be.

Chris Hanburger is a Hall of Famer, and his credentials are better than more than 3/4 of the Linebackers who are in the Hall of Fame, which includes the last two enshrined...Dave Wilcox, and Harry Carson....

I know we are all pissed off about Art Monk, BUT let us not forget Chris Hanburger.... a slight just as grotesque!

He was a great guy in person too, he lived in my neighborhood growing up (if that tells ya how little they made back than) I must of been 11 years old, I remember going over his house asking for a autograph. obviously scared to death, he had this tough, serious look on his face. He didn't turn me and my friends down. I remember seeing him at Safeway all the time he was pretty big guy for NFL linebacker back in the mid 70's. Think he owned a couple car dealerships, I remember my dad always runnning into alot of retired skins at the dealerships.

Ive read articles from 2 - 3 writers on the selection committee who all say they would support his selection, but they say there are two things other voters hold against him....number ONE that he played on some bad Redskins teams ( pre- George Allen) and Number TWO : he was EXTREMELY MEDIA UNFRIENDLY when he played.

Big deal! Newly inducted Charlie Sanders also played on some bad Detroit Lions teams ('68-'77)... 1 playoff... and they lost. It's funny that these ahole voters say that it's ON THE FIELD that matters, and NOT off the field. Would not talking with the media be off the field?

Hypocrites :rolleyes:

Speaking of Chris Hanburger, my buddy is starting his new job tomorrow (in Raleigh) and mentioned his new boss's name was Chris Hanburger. I made him ask if he was related and sure enough it's his son. I'm gonna give it a few weeks before I try and get a card autographed. :D

Hey Bro' that's great !!! Do you think that you could let them both know about our effort that started yesterday to protest the HOF snub of Monk and all the other deserving players from the Skins Roster and throughout the league . If you are interested in being part of this historical opportunity come check out our Activist Thread in the Stadium . It's my thread and TMK9973 is the originator of the idea we are both pushing . So far there is a lot of interest and I am waiting on a response from the PR dept. of the Redskins to go ahead with this and perhaps participate .

Coz

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/selectionprocess.jsp

Any fan may nominate any qualified person who has been connected with pro football in any capacity simply by writing to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Pro Football Hall of Fame

2121 George Halas Drive NW

Canton, Ohio 44708

It costs less than 42 cents. Enter as often as you like.

Of course, it would have more impact if we could get as many people as possible to mail one at the same time, on numerous occassions.

I would suggest separate letters for each individual nominated. Also, I would think for guys like Chris Hanburger the letter should be marked,

Attn: Veterans Committee

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/selectionprocess.jsp

Pro Football Hall of Fame

2121 George Halas Drive NW

Canton, Ohio 44708

It costs less than 42 cents. Enter as often as you like.

Of course, it would have more impact if we could get as many people as possible to mail one at the same time, on numerous occassions.

I would suggest separate letters for each individual nominated. Also, I would think for guys like Chris Hanburger the letter should be marked,

Attn: Veterans Committee

Holy crap! That's the first time I've seen the complete list of voters, and no wonder we can't get anybody in. David Elfin is the representative for Washington? What the ****? Effin is a moron and the Washington Times is not very favorable of the Skins. This is like having a deaf man try and tell you which music style is the best.

It's all just one big circus act, and the feces-flinging monkies are in control.

Good thread. We do get a bit obsessed with Monk at times. The Redskins who should be in but aren't are:

Chris Hanburger

Dave Butz

Art Monk

Russ Grimm

Joe Jacoby

It really isn't all that arguable either. Butz in particular has an amazing lack of silence about his career. That guy played at a very high level for over a decade.

I've yelled loud and long about Hanburger as well as Monk. Here is the biggest mystery to me. Why does a marketing-savvy owner like Dan Snyder not jump on the opportunity to build a Redskins Hall of Fame? The deserving misfits from Canton's Hall would get the recognition they deserve and Snyder could make a few extra $$$.

He should be in as well, but at this point I think he has to get in via Senior Committee Selection. Any Hog that gets in will probably have to go that route as well. The voters obviously have more on their minds then the play or the players contribution to the game or history of the NFL.

Chris deserves to be in the Hall. He played with my uncle for the Hampton Crabbers at Hampton High School. I meet him some years ago and he was a very funny and personable fellow. He had some great stories. He was living in Alabama and owned some car dealerships, IIRC.

I remember when I was in third grade when Chris Hanburger came to speak at a big assembly at Congressional School in Falls Church. The audience was asked for questions and I put my hand up in the air. They called on me and I asked him "what was your best year with the Redskins?" His reply was something like "this year... I've only been here one year (laughter.) My memory could be serving me wrong, but I think that was his answer. It was exciting for me and my first time in front of a crowd. He was very gracious and classy.

Redman wrote:

"The Redskins who should be in but aren't are:

Chris Hanburger

Dave Butz

Art Monk

Russ Grimm

Joe Jacoby"

Pat Fischer was a fierce competitor at CB. Ken Houston made one of the greatest plays ever on defense against Walt Garrison. What about Dexter Manley, he was a force at DE, heck if Irvin can make it with his checkered past Manley should be a cinch. Don't forget Gary Clark too.

There are a ton of guys who should be in there before Thurman Thomas.

MC

Archived