Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chris Hanburger Hall of Fame Snub!

HighwayPatrolLT

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A57037-2005Apr15.html

Leonard Shapiro:

Chris Hanburger was a fine player, a guy who slipped through the cracks for a lot of years because he played on a lot of bad redskins teams. I could support his candidacy as a senior, just as I believe pat fischer should be in, as well. One thing going against hanburger: he was extremely media unfriendly, and some people have long memories.

Seems to be a pattern, huh?

He was a great guy in person too, he lived in my neighborhood growing up (if that tells ya how little they made back than) I must of been 11 years old, I remember going over his house asking for a autograph. obviously scared to death, he had this tough, serious look on his face. He didn't turn me and my friends down. I remember seeing him at Safeway all the time he was pretty big guy for NFL linebacker back in the mid 70's. Think he owned a couple car dealerships, I remember my dad always runnning into alot of retired skins at the dealerships.

I grew up in that neighborhood as well and was very good friends with his son. Chris Hanbuger is a very nice person, and a great role model for all as to how he approached the game.

Quick question, was Hanburger the last Redskin to wear number 55?

No, although he is the best Redskin to wear it.

Mel Kaufman comes to mind as one who wore the number and did it proud.

I believe the french guy, Phillipe Gardent (sp) had it last year.

Archived