Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

in need of help for my statistics class

RobertGoulet

You can also do what many modern scientists do when there isnt the data you need.

you can always make it up!

yea i think thats what im gonna have to do. i do appreciate u trying to get ppl to participate but who wants to do statistics when there is politics to argue about!?

• 3 years later...

-------------------

Okay...i have to do this extra credit assignment by 11:45am today...any help is greatly appreciated. The answers dont have to be right, I just have to show an honest attempt at solving the problem.

You can use this Excel sheet to generate a random variable Xi that is drawn from the box |-9|-8|27|27 (often you will see an error message if you open the Excel sheet; for some reason a file path is inserted in the first column and I cannot avoid that; you can look at the formula and remove it and things should be fine; the first column uses the function "=rand()" to generate uniform random numbers. The second column uses the =vlookup("adjacent left column", "lookup table", 2,1) command to produce a random variable Xi that is drawn from the box |-9|-8|27|27|).

1. Monte Carlo histogram for Xi with 100, 1000, 10000 repetitions

* please generate the MC histograms

* please decribe what you see

* how do the MC histograms change with the number of repetitions?

* what do the MC histograms have to do with the probability histogram of Xi?

2. Random variables that are i.i.d. combinations of the underlying random variable Xi

* please define the following random variables:

o Z1 = h(X1,..Xn) : = X1+..+Xn

o Z2 = h(X1,..Xn) : = (X1+..+Xn)/n

o Z3 = h(X1,..Xn) : = X1*..*Xn

o Z4 = h(X1,..Xn) : = (X1*..*Xn)/n

o Z5 = h(X1,..Xn) : = X1(X2+..+Xn)

o Z6 = h(X1,..Xn) : = X1(X2+..+Xn)/n

* please generate MC histograms (set number of MC repetitions equal to 10000) for each of the 6 defined random variables when

o n = 25

o n = 100

o n = 1000

* please decribe what you see

* how do the MC histograms change with the number of observations n?

* please compare the Monte Carlo histograms of the 6 different random variables

3. Please relate your findings to the law of large numbers (LLN) and the central limit theorem (CLT)

--------

My question is this - how do I define the random variables in question 2? I am stumped. Please help me :)

I think what it's asking is, say for Z1 and n=25, calculate X1+X2+X3 ... + X25 and do this 10,000 times, charting the results as a histogram. Repeat for n=100 and n=1000. And repeat for the calculations specified in Z2 through Z6.

But I don't know what the function Xi is to know if this makes sense.

Archived