Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ABC's "Lost" Planning End Date....

TC4

Something for all you "Lost" fans:

http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=11372

January 14, 2007

'Lost' Planning End Date

In a highly unusual move for a broadcast series, ABC and the producers of "Lost" are in discussions to determine an end date for the show.

The date will set a limit to the number of "Lost" seasons to come and will be announced to fans. The show's producers, speaking at ABC's Television Critics Association press tour session, said having a conclusion date will bolster fan confidence in the series' narrative. A timeline for making the decision was not announced.

"It's time for us now to find an endpoint for the show," said executive producer Carlton Cuse. "JK Rowling announced there were seven books in the Harry Potter series and it gives fans [a framework for understanding the arc of the show]. 'The X-Files' was a cautionary tale for us. It was a great show that ran two seasons too long. 'Lost' has a short-half life."

"None of us want to be doing the stalling show," added executive producer Damon Lindelof. "We don't want them to be building sandcastles next week."

Thought the series ratings have dipped this fall, the show remains one of ABC's top-rated programs. During the first season, Mr. Lindelof said the show could run nine seasons if necessary, noting the island has plenty of mysteries. Recently, fans and critics have grown frustrated, however, with the show's continually expanding mythology that keeps piling on new mysteries and characters.

After the panel, Mr. Lindelof suggested the series might cap at 100 episodes, which would only result in two more seasons. But ABC Entertainment President Steve McPherson sought to downplay the producers' statements, noting that "we've had those discussions for the past two years."

Earlier while on stage, Mr. McPherson said he agreed with critic complaints that the first six episodes this season pulled the story too far from the group dynamics that made the show popular.

"[The writers] made a clear choice that first installment would be about Jack, Kate, Sawyer and The Others," he said. "For me, the show I really invest in is having everybody together. I thought it was a riveting six episodes, but I like it when they're all together and they're heading toward that again after the break."

Though Mr. McPherson stood by his decision to schedule a four-month break in the "Lost" schedule this season, he reiterated his plan (first reported last month in TelevisionWeek) to try and run next season's episodes without a break or repeats, launching either in the fall or spring.

I still highly enjoy the series and look forward to the remainder of the season. And there is enough internet-related backstory to fill a season just by itself. Two seasons sounds about right, though a third would be plausible to fill in the rest of the backstory which is discussed on the 'net, but thus far not in the show.

The show is still one of the best on T.V., at least in my opinion.

There are several shows, in addition to Lost, which I am looking forward to seeing in the next month or so: Battlestar Galactica, Stargate Atlantis (I am unsure of SG-1's status), and even Jericho.

Something for all you "Lost" fans:

http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=11372

"[The writers] made a clear choice that first installment would be about Jack, Kate, Sawyer and The Others," he said. "For me, the show I really invest in is having everybody together. I thought it was a riveting six episodes, but I like it when they're all together and they're heading toward that again after the break."

Thats good to hear. The show is still good, but it just seemed to be a lot better in Season 1.

Those that think this should have been a miniseries should go away... Nobody is forcing you to watch and the rest of us are enjoying ourselves... :P

I think that they show needs more than 4 seasons, but with the current plot being something that has to have some sort of end I think it could get really bad if it goes past 6 seasons considering we are amidst the 3rd season right now....

As for them wanting to do a continuous season, I think they are taking a lesson from 24, when you draw ppl into a show that much with that much mystery and intrigue and continuous story line you need to keep with the new eps or people are gonna get really ticked and swear off the show, I know lots that have already after last seasons debachle

Well, I have to hand it to them, they said all the right things. X-Files IS the classic example of a show that went too long and became completely muddled in its own impenetrable mythology. And they DO need to bolster viewers' confidence in the narrative.

If this is sincere, and not just a PR ploy, it is an excellent decision. I think 5 years is the perfect amount of time. They're midway through 3, so that leaves plenty of time to wrap everything up without feeling rushed.

Moving to 10pm is going to be a disaster though.

The show was originally planned for 5 years..

but then again Jack was supposed to be in the tree dead in the 1st series , not the pilot.. soo....

really? I mean, that was the first episode I believe, if they wanted to kill him off, that was the time to do it...

really? I mean, that was the first episode I believe, if they wanted to kill him off, that was the time to do it...

The orginal plan was to make Kate the Number 1 Character. It was suppose to be a twist right off the bat, You see Jack and you start to think, ok, this guy is the main Character, and then Bam, hes dead.. But plans changed and they keep to Jack being the Number 1 Guy, with Kate and others still playing major roles.

Great idea. I suggest January 2007 as a possible end date.

In all seriousness, they lost a lot of viewers in the first few weeks of the second season (no pun intended), and its too hard to catch up with the constant strange twists.

The orginal plan was to make Kate the Number 1 Character. It was suppose to be a twist right off the bat, You see Jack and you start to think, ok, this guy is the main Character, and then Bam, hes dead.. But plans changed and they keep to Jack being the Number 1 Guy, with Kate and others still playing major roles.

ahh fair enough. Obviously they decided not to kill him off right away, so they changed hteir minds about him dying. I'm sure the story for many other characters has drastically changed based on other factors. Still, interesting to know.

I forget who it was, but I believe originally when the plan was for Jack to be killed off, the actor playing the role was going to be different. A significant movie actor. I can't quite remember who it was, though.

...edit...

Found it on IMDB.

"Michael Keaton was considered for the part of Jack, but turned it down. Had he accepted, he would have been killed off in the pilot episode."

it really needs to end next year. this waiting around for months at a time is killing it. I can't even remember what was happening. they have done one month on, one month off. then three months on, three months off...

I don't remember what was happening either, but this is by far a better system than what they had in the past. The month long breaks during the season were annoying, I don't think there was any 3 month long break during seasons 1 and 2 though.

It just seems as if people want a new episode every week. Well, in that case, 24 episodes per season, would make it span 6 months at most, only half a year. That would not encompass a whole season from september to May. I am glad that in 3 weeks, we will be getting new episodes every week. I just hope that they do re-air episode 6 the week before or something.

I'm a big fan of Lost and can't wait for Feb. 7th to get here, but they have strung us along for too long. The producers need to start answering some questions or they are going to lose even more fans.

I think five years is about right. I love that they are going to air all the episodes consecutively, next year.

as to the long breaks, I will find myself saying Im just not gonna watch anymore but I know that as soon as they throw the crack back on the table I will be loading the pipe.

as to the fixed ending, I dont care how many seasons all I care about is that in the last episode we get full frontal nudes of kate.

In the UK, we had seasons 1 and 2 complete with onlya a 2 month gap between them. There was only a 3 month gap between season 2 and 3 because it moved to a different channel but the gap in the middle of season 3 has been infuriating. At least now we will get our episodes at the same time as you do.

I'm a big fan of Lost and can't wait for Feb. 7th to get here, but they have strung us along for too long. The producers need to start answering some questions or they are going to lose even more fans.

the breaks are terrible. i rather they run 12 episodes (with maybe a week off hear and there for awards/sports) and call it a season. splitting it in half is killing me. also they haven't answered any questions. i mean i like the show but i still don't have any idea what's going on. the scary part is that the longer they drag it out, the more i have a feeling that the big surprise is going to be REALLY REALLY stupid.

Archived