Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mr. Cowher goes to Washington? SI spoof article

Lavarleap56

sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/bill_syken/01/11/scorecard.daily/

Here's a theory on why the Giants extended the contract of Tom Coughlin after a year in which the team clearly underperformed: they are looking ahead to the Bill Cowher sweepstakes of 2008.

The Giants may be holding on to Coughlin while they wait for a shot at the horse they really want. Who wouldn't want a Super Bowl coach who lasted a decade-plus in his previous job and left everyone feeling good about him? The catch is, the Giants won't be the only suitor. Cowher will be at the top of the list next year for every team with a coaching vacancy.

The other day a colleague and I were bandying about possible destinations for Cowher: New York, Dallas, Miami, New York, Carolina, and maybe Tampa Bay. Then we realized there was only one logical destination, and it was pretty obvious where Cowher will end up next year. The deal hasn't been made yet, but it is inevitable. So let's just fast forward to that press conference, which has likely has already been scheduled, and will taking place one year from now:

something tells me Cowher will be very selective when he decides to return. - I could see him waiting a year or so rather than jumping on the first offer. - For some reason I could see him in the south - Carolina if that opportunity presented itself in the next few years or one of the Florida teams.

hilarious - i like that "assistant head coach -motivation" line. classic, and so fitting.

cowher is too smart to make the mistake of ever coaching under the direction of our management. he just won't do it.

They said Spurrier would never leave Florida too....money does weird things to people!;) :logo:

Its is a bit embaressing sometimes...I just want our guys to be successful so bad so we can stop being the laughing stock.:( :logo:

It is embarrassing I really want our team to be good again. I am sick of being the butt of all these sports writers jokes. I hope we can turn it around next year.

sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/bill_syken/01/11/scorecard.daily/

Here's a theory on why the Giants extended the contract of Tom Coughlin after a year in which the team clearly underperformed: they are looking ahead to the Bill Cowher sweepstakes of 2008.

The Giants may be holding on to Coughlin while they wait for a shot at the horse they really want. Who wouldn't want a Super Bowl coach who lasted a decade-plus in his previous job and left everyone feeling good about him? The catch is, the Giants won't be the only suitor. Cowher will be at the top of the list next year for every team with a coaching vacancy.

The other day a colleague and I were bandying about possible destinations for Cowher: New York, Dallas, Miami, New York, Carolina, and maybe Tampa Bay. Then we realized there was only one logical destination, and it was pretty obvious where Cowher will end up next year. The deal hasn't been made yet, but it is inevitable. So let's just fast forward to that press conference, which has likely has already been scheduled, and will taking place one year from now:

The Giants I could see going after Cowher if the Giants have another mediocre season. Dallas I can also see making a run at him if Parcells doesn't stay beyond next year. Which isn't likely. Miami? I don't see him going there at all. Reason being, they will likely hire a young head coach. And obviously they wouldn't fire him after one season. At least you would think not. He's definitely not going to Carolina. Fox isn't going anywhere unless he wants to. About the only way I can see Fox not coaching the Panthers beyond next year is if they have a losing record this coming season. And I don't really see that happening. I can see where people would assume he'd coach there because he just bought a house a few hours away from Charlotte. But it aint happening. I think the Redskins, provided Joe retires after next year, will possibly throw a ton of money at the guy. Wouldn't be shocked if he ended up in Cleveland either. After all, he did play for them early in his career. After a year off he might just be up for a challenge. And, needless to say, the Browns would be that. Man, would the Steeler fans hate that, or what? Him ending up in Cleveland and them facing the Steelers a couple times a year.

Wouldn't be shocked if he ended up in Cleveland either. After all, he did play for them early in his career. After a year off he might just be up for a challenge. And, needless to say, the Browns would be that. Man, would the Steeler fans hate that, or what? Him ending up in Cleveland and them facing the Steelers a couple times a year.

ouch - that would really hurt Steelers fans. - That'd be like Joe Gibbs coaching the Giants.

I don't think we will hire him just to hire him.

I love this team, but the Redskins are real easy to make fun of because of well, everything. I just let it roll of my back.

I live in the past with this team; watching old Redskin games from the 80's and the 91 season. I also play Madden, the skins are undefeated on my PS2.

It is just another slap at the Redskins and Cowher and all the other out of Job Head coaches mentioned in the add. I think there needs to be some lawsuits filed for the defaming of character of great coaches and the greatest football (Personal Preference) of all time.

"QUESTION: Bill, what about the size of the coaching staff here, which is already the biggest in the NFL. At the end of 2006 the Redskins had strong, highly paid coordinators in Gregg Williams and Al Saunders, plus a host of veteran assistants. Then in the '07 off-season Snyder hired Mike Ditka as a tight ends coach and Dick Vermeil as "assistant head coach -- motivation." Just about everyone in those Coors Light ads got a job. Now you're here. My question is, what do all these people do all week? How many coaches can a team hire before it realizes that maybe there is a problem somewhere else in the organization...."

Archived