Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mel Kiper's new Big Board

lavar1156

I want Jamaal Anderson!

*1. Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech (6-4, 225) | previous: UR

He's not only a tremendous athlete, but he's also a hard worker and very team oriented.

2. Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin (6-6½, 313) | previous: Same

Huge, quick and athletic with a long wingspan.

3. Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame (6-3½, 225) | previous: 1

Poised, smart and at his best in pressure situations. Quinn did throw two interceptions in Sugar Bowl after throwing just one INT in his previous eight games.

*4. JaMarcus Russell, QB, LSU (6-6, 260) | previous: UR

Big, strong signal caller with a powerful arm. Decision-making improved significantly this season.

*5. Jamaal Anderson, DE, Arkansas (6-5, 267) | previous: UR

Gifted athlete, coming off an exceptional 2006 campaign. A complete player, equally as solid versus the run as he is as a pass rusher.

*6. Adrian Peterson, RB, Notre Dame (6-1½, 218) | previous: UR

Talented RB with an excellent burst to the outside for a back his size. The concern is durability.

*7. Alan Branch, DT, Michigan (6-5½, 328) | previous: UR

Huge and athletic, Branch is a true space-eater along the interior. Once his technique improves, watch out!

*8. Marshawn Lynch, RB, California (5-11, 224) | previous: UR

Complete big back, right on the heels of Adrian Peterson when it comes to who will be the top RB in the draft.

9. Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson (6-4½, 260) | previous: 4

Flashes dominating ability with his athleticism and quickness. Adams leads the Tigers with 10½ sacks and 15½ tackles for loss.

10. Leon Hall, CB, Michigan (5-11, 193) | previous: 3

Tough customer who also shows very good anticipation and awareness in coverage. Hall leads the Wolverines with three interceptions.

11. LaRon Landry, DB, LSU (6-1½, 205) | previous: 6

Four-year starter who has proven to be Mr. Reliable throughout his career. Landry lead LSU with 42 solo tackles.

12. Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville (6-1½, 298) | previous: 5

A four-year veteran, and he is only 19 years old. Okoye is quick and explosive and goes all-out on every play. He is not only good at eating up space but also gets good penetration into the backfield. He's second on the Cardinals in both sacks and tackles for loss.

13. Jeff Samardzija, WR, Notre Dame (6-4½, 215) | previous: 10

Super hands and concentration with outstanding speed-to-size ratio. He caught a touchdown pass in the final five games of the season.

*14. Dwayne Jarrett, WR, USC (6-4, 210) | previous: UR

Has the size and natural pass receiving skills to create mis-matches against smaller CB's. Also has better quickness out of his break than people give him credit for.

*15. Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee (6-2½, 210) | previous: UR

Came through with a number of highlight film type, "wow" plays this season. If he runs well at the Combine, Meachem could elevate his draft position in the weeks leading up to the draft.

16. Tony Ugoh, OT, Arkansas (6-5, 308) | previous: 9

Ugoh's stock has been rising all year to the point where he's one of the more intriguing senior prospects in the nation.

*17. Charles Johnson, DE, Georgia (6-2, 280) | previous: UR

Shows natural pass rush skills and his workout numbers should be eye catching.

18. Levi Brown, OT, Penn St. (6-4½, 325) | previous: 15

Steady and reliable at protecting the quarterback's blind side. *19. Sidney Rice, WR, South Carolina (6-3, 200) | previous: Angular wide-out with a nice burst out of his break and above average hands. The key for Rice will be how well he runs at the combine workout.

20. Ryan Kalil, C, USC (6-2½, 292) | previous: 12

His performance during the latter stages of his career has been that of a first- or second-round draft choice.

*21. Lawrence Timmons, LB, Florida St. (6-2¼, 233) | previous: UR

Moves right to the top of a very subpar LB'ing corps overall, particularly from the senior class. His production and consistency from game to game are what jumps out at you with Timmons.

22. Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska (6-2¼, 233) | previous: 8

You just don't see many defensive ends carrying 300 pounds who can move as well as Carriker.

23. Dwayne Bowe, WR, LSU (6-2, 217) | previous: 13

Big and productive, Bowe runs excellent routes and has the toughness to catch the ball in traffic.

24. Marshal Yanda, OT, Iowa (6-4, 300) | previous: UR

Well coached with outstanding technique, Yanda has been enjoying a steady rise up the draft board. Also will provide a great deal of versatility at the pro level. 24. Anthony Spencer, DE, Purdue (6-3¼, 273) | previous: 18

He has become a much more effective pass-rusher this season for the Boilermakers. The key at the next level will be his athleticism and versatility, because I project he would be an ideal outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense.

Guest HowAboutThemSkins

great info....it goes to show you all these people who said we wouldn't get Gaines Adams at #6 were mistaken. He will continue to fall as more underclassmen declare. The draft combine could change a few things too.

In the end I bet the skins could trade down to 12-13 and still get Adams. According to the draft value chart, if the skins move from 6 to 12-13 they would also get a mid 2nd round pick. I hope they do it.

great info....it goes to show you all these people who said we wouldn't get Gaines Adams at #6 were mistaken. He will continue to fall as more underclassmen declare. The draft combine could change a few things too.

In the end I bet the skins could trade down to 12-13 and still get Adams. According to the draft value chart, if the skins move from 6 to 12-13 they would also get a mid 2nd round pick. I hope they do it.

It is quite possible

Guest HowAboutThemSkins
I am a subsriber to INSIDER, and that is not Mel's BIGBOARD!

That is bad information.

He says he will not add underclassmen to big board until the deadline of Jan 19 for them to declare has passed. It will be out on Jan 22. His current big board does not resemble what is posted here...

Can anyone else confirm this?

That Anderson guy does look like what we need. He sounds like he is ready to go RIGHT NOW. The Louisville youngster is intriguing, too. However, he is from Africa, so he could really be like 26! Branch almost seems like he'd be a better fit in a 3-4 defense. If we had enough LBs, I might advocate a change. Maybe a major alignment shift is what this defense and WIlliams needs to get them out of last year's rut.

I can't believe that WR from Notre Dame is ranked that highly. He will lucky to turn into Ricky Proehl in the Pros.

I'm still advocating a trade down, if we get the proper value. Otherwise, it's D-line all the way!

I can't believe that WR from Notre Dame is ranked that highly. He will lucky to turn into Ricky Proehl in the Pros.

Actually Samardzija would probably be ranked even higher if not for his desire to play baseball with the Cubs as well as football. He is a tremendous athlete, much more so that Proehl ever was. Wouldn't shock me to see the Pats make a move for him in the 1st, given their glaring need at WR, and the fact he has already been in their basic system under Weiss at ND.

Dumbest..........comment............ever!!!

Not necessarily, there are numerous examples in baseball of players from Latin America claiming to be younger than they really are....and of course the most publicized example of Danny Amonte a few years ago. Players from outside of the US always have to be looked at a little suspiciously due to some other country's lack of adequate birth records. That said, I've heard nothing that indicates anyone thinks he is older than 19, but its not a dumb comment or concern given precedent and history.

I am a subsriber to INSIDER, and that is not Mel's BIGBOARD!

That is bad information.

He says he will not add underclassmen to big board until the deadline of Jan 19 for them to declare has passed. It will be out on Jan 22. His current big board does not resemble what is posted here...

Underclassmen take over Big Board

insider_byline.gif

Kiperjr_Mel_30.jpg

By Mel Kiper Jr.

ESPN.com

Updated: Jan. 10, 2007, 5:51 PM ET

did he really have adrian peterson at Notre Dame?

Yup.

I'd be happiest with Jamal Anderson. Wouldn't be upset with Alan Branch either. I think either one of those guys would make an immediate impact. Anderson would add more of a pass rush while I think Branch would make our run defense immediately respectable again. I think Golston made strides and if Salavea and Griffin can stay healthy, I think our DT position is better off than our ends.

Archived