Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Overall thoughts on Greg Williams

emor09

im not too sure what to think. it seems when we blitz, we are at our best. he blitzes great when we have all of our personel. most of the season, we had kenny wright in at corner, so im thinkin that he didnt blitz as much because he didnt trust him out on an island with a reciever. when nwe played new orleans, we blitzed and forced brees to get rid of it quick, but we had rogers and springs both healthy that game. ive read on here that the original plan was AA in on rushing downs and PP in on passing downs, but we never had an opportunity for that, so i wonder if that would have had an effect. i was watching my tapes from week 17 at philly and wildcrad weekend at tampa, and this is not that same defense....

so, whats your overall thoughts about williams? id say, when he has his personael, he has the confidence to blitz, and thats when our defense thrives

Hey I think with a secondary that will start to play the ball...and not always lookin at the reciever all the time ala C. Rogers, and moving Marshall back to his original line backer position give Rocky his shot at Middle. I think he will be as good as ever....I want to keep him around im tired of changing every time things go bad lets stick it out with him for a while....lets get the run stopper in the draft(Branch) and lets see what happens. Come on he is a good defensive coordinater...let just get a consistant defensive group

I look at Williams overall track record and most of the time he has fielded top 10 and 5 defenses. Even at Buffalo when he was the head man and had bad teams the d was always good. Last year was an abberation and not the norm. My question is this: who is out there that would be a better DC than Williams?

I look at Williams overall track record and most of the time he has fielded top 10 and 5 defenses. Even at Buffalo when he was the head man and had bad teams the d was always good. Last year was an abberation and not the norm. My question is this: who is out there that would be a better DC than Williams?

Ditto...The guy really knows how to coordinate a defense but he, like any other DC, needs to have the right tools. As the originator of this thread stated, when Williams has corners who he can trust to check receivers he can open up his safties to do other things. Taking away his reliable corners ruins his whole scheme.

Williams' unit has suffered an erosion of talent since 2004 and a large part of that is his own doing. He let players go that were great fits for his scheme such as Pierce and Clark and then went out and acquired other players who looked good on paper but didn't really fit the scheme once they were in pads in the workouts.

Williams needs to go back to building chemistry on defense and allowing the unsung high character role players that make a difference to STAY in Washington and have him support them with Gibbs and Snyder when it comes time to resign with the club.

In terms of personnel for 2007, the team has first and foremost to straighten out the situation in the backfield. We can't have unreliable corners.

We need to get away from the cover 2 and move to a man up defense that puts pressure up front from the outside. That requires a fast DE like Carter supported by cover corners like Springs who can blanket receivers down the field.

Williams has some other challenges in the offseason, namely working with younger players that have upside such as Sean Taylor, Carlos Rogers, Kedric Golston and Rocky McIntosh and getting them ready to contribute in 2007.

The fact McIntosh didn't make it on the field for 12 weeks is simply unacceptable based on what the team gave up in 2006 to acquire him.

You see linebackers drafted in Houston, Dallas and other places starting games all during the season and yet the Redskins' choice, taken higher than some, continued to sit.

And the rub was that the player ahead of him was a ho-hum vet minimum guy in Warrick Holdman that is best suited to a backup role in the NFL at age 31.

I completely agree that our defense is 100 times better when we blitz and also agree that GW did not have the confidence to blitz this past season that much. But that is a huge problem and scares me alot. I think that this season could have been alot different if GW just said, "Screw whos out there, we are gonna do what works for us." Who knows maybe the secondary would have actually looked better if all the crazy blitzes that we are used to actually continued to happen. And you know what maybe some big plays would happen against us, but I garuantee there wouldnt have been as many as there were when we were afraid to blitz. Kenny Wright was a starting CB for Jax and played find because there was a pass rush. Yea their pass rush came from the DL, but that doesnt happen here. The last 3 yrs we get a pass rush by blitzing everyone and anyone, but this year GW just wouldnt do it.

Maybe i'm wrong but I really do believe that we could have started Ade Jimoh and Kenny Wright all year and would have had more success if we blitzed like usual rather then what we went through. NO one in the NFL can cover when you have our front four rushing the passer alone.

One other discouraging note....Did anyone else think that when we did blitz that it was really obvious and that our players were horrible at disquising it?

Again maybe just me but I really think deception was a big part of our past success and this year every time we did blitz, not much, the stupid player showed it too early and was picked up..

Sorry for the rant....

Man I hope the D will be better next year.

Please Gibbs make GW blitz every play or we are doomed.

The defense was in this position due to the continued departure of top notch players such as Antonio Pierce, Fred Smoot, Lavar Arrington and Ryan Clark.

Williams can probably be blamed for some of those players leaving. That's where he's failed. Hopefully a lesson has been learned.

I have to disagree about who starts at corner.

Check the games that Shawn Springs started. The defense played 100% better in those contests.

When he was out the final weeks the defense was abysmal just as it was when he missed the first half of the season.

The defense was in this position due to the continued departure of top notch players such as Antonio Pierce, Fred Smoot, Lavar Arrington and Ryan Clark.

Williams can probably be blamed for some of those players leaving. That's where he's failed. Hopefully a lesson has been learned.

Two of those guys were gone in 2005. One of those guys barely played in all of 2005. The other guy (Ryan Clark) played all year. If your calculations are correct, Ryan Clark was the glue that held THE ENTIRE DEFENSE TOGETHER. I like Clark. I think he's a good player. But he's not THAT good.

I'll tell you what i think everytime we blitzed we got our azz burnt we never quite get to th qb.Our blitzers always seemed to be picked up bt the O.leaving our mediocore db's 1-1 whch we lost 85% of the time.Blitzing is suppose to create havoc and turnovers which we were last in the nfl in.Greggs blitz packages suck.

the effects on this defense of the player departures has been CUMULATIVE.

Pierce left before the 2005 season and Marshall took his place. For one season Marshall took the pounding inside at 227 pounds and managed to hold his own. In 2006 his body started to break down due to the pounding and he was much less effective. Now I think anyone who watched 16 games will admit that Marshall is better suited long-term to being placed on the outside.

At safety, Clark left and the team signed Archuleta. But even in the preseason the plan evidently was for Prioleau to start the season ahead of AA. How can any organization spend $10 million on a safety who can't even make it out of training camp and the preseason with a starting job nailed down? :)

The whole thing is absurd.

Just as not integrating McIntosh into 'packages' for the regular defense EARLIER was a mistake. With the defense ranked #31 and the team finishing 5-11 what better opportunity to let a top draft pick learn the ropes? what do you have to lose? Warrick Holdman wasn't going to get any better no matter how long you left him out there.

Two of those guys were gone in 2005. One of those guys barely played in all of 2005. The other guy (Ryan Clark) played all year. If your calculations are correct, Ryan Clark was the glue that held THE ENTIRE DEFENSE TOGETHER. I like Clark. I think he's a good player. But he's not THAT good.

All those players played for Williams and now they are all gone. That's alot of talent to lose and alot of chemistry to ruin over the span of the past couple years. The only player in that group that wasn't an impact player for Williams was Arrington. But even an injured Arrington was better than Holdman last season.

Also, none of these players were adequately replaced. I'd rather have Ryan Clark over Archuleta... Pierce over Marshal... and so on.

I think what some of us are trying to communicate is that Williams at times has been his own worst enemy and his style is one that tends to reinforce ego at the cost of performance.

He started Holdman last year and held Arrington back and then when Arrington finally got back on the field all of a sudden the big plays in the run game to that side of the field were snuffed out.

Notice that Williams never gave #56 any credit for his second half performance or his work in the playoff games.

He did the same thing this year with McIntosh. Again, Holdman fronted the WLB spot and was average at best and yet Williams chose not to play his top draft choice despite admitting at points that the defense needed to improve its playmaking.

Holdman lacked the athleticism to make plays for this defense. So why start him?

I think he got to big for his britches with a side of snyderitis. I think this year proved to him that you can't just plug any guy in and be effective. I think his ego was put in check a bit this year and next year he should be better suited to fit the gameplan to the talent instead of trying to boil the ocean. I expect him to turn it around if he is still here.

Reinvention is the key to success....GW is running the same stuff from 04 and it is evident....our Safety play sucked all year....ST would always get suckered into creeping and get caught.....blitzers are picked up constantly and at times wouldn't go full speed. Other teams have game planned us better each year....we are also lacking a run stuffing linebacker.

Our D will go back to '04 standards if we address the inside of the D-line. Look at Jack., Balt., or Chi. It all starts upfront on D. Williams will be a hero again. Presentlt there is no one on D that requires double teaming. Therefore our blitzes were easily picked up. Get Branch then let's see!

GW is one of the top DC in the league....as posted...he became enamored with his schemes and forgot he needed players. GW needs a FO that can identify good talent (which he had in his other jobs). GW also needs to reduce the number of coaches he has on his side of the ball and demand that thecoaches he keeps...TALK TO EACH OTHER! If it is true that the corners coach and the safties coach don't talk...that is UNREAL!

The problem was not Williams as a coach; he simply pouted all year and refused to do his job the right way because Al Saunders was brought in (it was as if JG brought a second woman home to be his wife and his first wife, GW, got jealous)

i think he is good d coach. a better one if he has the right middle linebacker.. he had london fletcher in buffalo. they were ranked 1st and 2nd.. he had antonio pierce we were ranked 5th. he has lemar marshall. ranked 12. ranked 32.. nuff said

actually last year we were ranked #9 or 10.

He started Holdman last year and held Arrington back and then when Arrington finally got back on the field all of a sudden the big plays in the run game to that side of the field were snuffed out.

That's some serious revisionist history there. Arrington had a great game in San Francisco but the rest of the season he was decent but not spectacular. The guy was injured, continued to be injured when he was traded to the Giants and most likely that injury caused an even more significant injury to happen when he was lost for the season. Lavar was no long term answer at the WLB position and you are kididng yourself if you think he was.

i think he is good d coach. a better one if he has the right middle linebacker.. he had london fletcher in buffalo. they were ranked 1st and 2nd.. he had antonio pierce we were ranked 5th. he has lemar marshall. ranked 12. ranked 32.. nuff said

I think GW's defense is based more on his CBs then the MLB. That's why he probably thought Pierce was expendable. GW had good CBs who could lock down at all this other stops. That's what his defense is really based on.

That's some serious revisionist history there. Arrington had a great game in San Francisco but the rest of the season he was decent but not spectacular.

Didn't Gore have a big run in that game?

And who's side was it on?

The "big runs didn't happen when lavar was on the field" is one of the more baffling myths that won't die around here.

Archived