Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES COVERAGE: Joe Gibbs' Final Season Press Conference 01/01/07 (FINAL UPDATE POSTED)

JimmiJo

ES COVERAGE: Joe Gibbs' Final Season Press Conference

01/01/07

:helmet:

Gibbs Press Conference Audio Here

Gibbs Press Conference Transcript Here

Alas, it all ends today for the year. I came here early in order to savor every last moment until next year. The good news is that next year begins with free agency, the draft, and mini-camp.

But enough of looking forward, today is a day for looking at the present, and at the season just ended. I'm sure you all have perspective on the season, and maybe even suggestions for questions.

I wonder if any news will come out of today. I suspect the article in the Post will spur questions regarding personnel.

I am here and will monitor the thread until we begin. I look forward to your comments.

Q: Would you say that this has been the most disappointing season you’ve experienced?

A: “I think you could say that. I know for me it was the toughest five months of my career.”

In his final press conference of the season, Gibbs showed a bit more candor than normal, offering apologies to the fans, speaking to the disappointment of a 5-11 season, and saying that nothing is out of consideration in trying to fix the team.

Gibbs started out today paying homage to the fans. He again expressed regret to the fans that the team did not have a good year. “You guys deserver a winner,” he said. He spoke again to the character of players the team has – saying that for many, the commitment transcends money. He said that often players sacrifice for the good of the team.

The coach was asked to second-guess himself in a few areas such as having the meeting where he told the team their play was unacceptable earlier as well as naming Campbell the starter earlier. He said in effect that he hadn’t gotten to the point in his thinking earlier to do those things.

Gibbs was asked if there would be any changes to the front office. He said that he and owner Dan Snyder were discussing everything. When Joe White from AP tried to nail him down on a GM, saying that his initial answer left some room for the team considering a GM, the coach said that it did not, but then reaffirmed that he and Snyder would look at everything,

The coach had praise for special teams, and spoke highly of the effort the offense gave down the stretch. Not so much for defense. He did say that they would look at each unit, each player, and decide what is best to do moving forward.

In reply to my question on free agency this off-season and on the heels of an article in the Washington Post regarding personnel decisions, Gibbs spoke to personnel philosophy – both in acquiring players and in the team’s attempts to retain key players over the past three years.

“This year it will strictly depend as we come out of these evaluations,” he said, “if we look at who is out there in free agency, [we must ask ourselves] is there somebody there that fits with us. I think that’s one thing we get hit on, as we have been aggressive in free agency and I think it kinda goes back in our history; certainly before I came the Redskins have been aggressive.”

The coach spoke to the team’s commitment to keep players together for next year and the criticism that they have failed to do this in the past.

“The most important asset we have here is our players,” he said. “We labor over that and when I say that we’ve got a group of players here that we feel like we can build and we want to try and keep together, we get hit on that and certainly I deserve the criticism on that when we let a guy get out of here that we really like, and that’s happened. And so that was my responsibility. I shouldn’t have let it happen.”

Gibbs said that in every case the team fought to keep players but that it did not work out for the team.

On whether the team would retain all of the coaches, Gibbs said only that, “we’ve got a good group to go with.”

I was surprised to hear that both Lloyd and Archuleta figure into the team’s future plans. For the record and in my opinion, I don’t believe it for both.

I was able to get a second question in, one that Tarhog suggested. I am glad I did as I thought we got a very sincere answer from Gibbs. He spoke to his desire to get the team back on a winning track and he said that his goal is to do what is best for the Redskins. If you believe (as do I) that Gibbs should remain as coach, then you should take a lot of encouragement from his answer. From where I was just a few feet away, I got the impression that Gibbs’ commitment to improving the team is a strong as ever.

“I think I have an obligation to our fans, and our owner, he said, “I said that when I came here I want to get us back to winning.” “For me, if anything I am determined to do what is best for the Redskins at all times.”

The coaching staff will work over the next three weeks in evaluating everything and any news regarding player or coaching changes will come out before they break.

So just like that, the season is over. I can tell you that it has been an absolute pleasure to be able to serve my fellow fans here this year. It has been about the coolest thing I have been able to do. Often, we gripe about the state of ES, but it is opportunities like the one I received and the great people who work so hard that make it a very special place. My hope is that I will be able to do this again next year. I can tell you that this has been a blast.

From Redskins Park, this is JimmiJo, signing off.

I could be wrong, but considering it appeared as though Jason and crew used quotes by Joe Gibbs and others in the article that maybe Coach knew this was coming out, ( coach this is Jason at the Post doing an article....). I would imagine there will be some questions to follow it up today though and it could be interesting to hear Coach Gibbs answers to that. Jimmijo, with the press coming in as we speak I imagine, any buzz about the article at this point?

I could be wrong, but considering it appeared as though Jason and crew used quotes by Joe Gibbs and others in the article that maybe Coach knew this was coming out, ( coach this is Jason at the Post doing an article....). I would imagine there will be some questions to follow it up today though and it could be interesting to hear Coach Gibbs answers to that. Jimmijo, with the press coming in as we speak I imagine, any buzz about the article at this point?

The Gibbs' quotes were from yesterday. He was aware of the pending article.

The Gibbs' quotes were from yesterday. He was aware of the pending article.

That's what I thought, just wanted to make sure. No way Jason would use those quotes without letting Coach and others know what and why. No surprises for Joe where that article is concerned. As for a question, right now if you look at the buzz here on Extreme in relation to that article, I figure an obvious one that I am sure will asked anyway. Does Coach Gibbs intend on making changes to the way the FO works with the coaching staff in relation to player evaluation and acquiring them?

welllll maybe not dripppppinggggg

tee hee

Seriously though, I would ask JG if he has any special intensive off season program for Adam Archuleta...

Like running out and COVERING all the cars at Redskins Park when it starts to rain.

Or helping to COVER stories for extremeskins.

Or going under-COVER to learn other teams off season workout plans....

But I am sure JG has got this COVERED.

I want you to ask him how he deals with this kind of gut-wrenching season on a personal level. With all of the outpouring frustration from the fans, the constant questioning by the media, even some turmoil in the lockerroom, what keeps him committed, hopeful, and allows him to perservere. How does he take a season like this last one, and turn it into something far better in the coming year?

Archived