Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Man we REALLY need to trade Portis (merged)

MrSilverMaC

There is absolutely no way in hell Atogwe would've caught up to 26. Absolutely no way in hell. Clinton is a gamebreaker . . . and once he gets through that hole with that much room, he is gone.

How many times in his career has he gottren thru "that hole and is gone" as a Washington Redskin.

How many times in his career has he gottren thru "that hole and is gone" as a Washington Redskin.

From his FIRST CARRY AS A REDSKIN to those carries last year when we put our TEAM ON HIS SHOULDERS, he takes it to the endzone. Last year against Philly???? How about that spin move? Are our fans that fickle, that because betts puts up 100 yards in 5 games in a row, we should trade Portis? Come on. Look at the stats when Portis rushes for 100 yards. Maybe its just a coincidence. But whatever it is, it usually results in a W. . . Not a L.

From his FIRST CARRY AS A REDSKIN to those carries last year when we put our TEAM ON HIS SHOULDERS, he takes it to the endzone. Last year against Philly???? How about that spin move? Are our fans that fickle, that because betts puts up 100 yards in 5 games in a row, we should trade Portis? Come on. Look at the stats when Portis rushes for 100 yards. Maybe its just a coincidence. But whatever it is, it usually results in a W. . . Not a L.

2 td's times in 3 seasons. Wow, thats impressive.

A W usually is a team effort, and so is a L. Today was totally a reason why we lost as a team.

2 td's times in 3 seasons. Wow, thats impressive.

A W usually is a team effort, and so is a L. Today was totally a reason why we lost as a team.

You are an idiot . . . Did he not just break our single season record last year? Did he not have 11 tds last year? Did he not have 7 this year in 8 games?? Come on now . . . this obsession with Betts has gotten out of hand. No matter how you spin it, CP is the better running back. Ask Betts . . . Even he will tell you that he is Portis' BACKUP.

Betts is a very good running back . . . no question about it . . . But nobody thinks he can take it to the house everytime he touches it . . . Ask anyone in the league about Portis, and they will tell you otherwise.

Securing a ball can be coached. Lay off the guy. Betts has played his heart out for a team going nowhere. It isn't like he is chasing big free agency dollars anymore. He has his security now and he still goes out and plays his tail off. I for one am comforted by the fact that if Portis does not recover well from surgery we at least have another 1,000 yard back in the stable.

When you give the game away by not doing something as fundamentally sound as securing the ball, you will receive critisism. That's the NFL!!

Don't praise him for getting over 100 yds for the 5th straight game, but give him a pass when he fumbled during crunch time and cost the team the game.

I hate the fact that the comparrison of Betts and Portis is even a topic. It's not fare to Betts nor Portis cause they are two complely different running backs! But the simple reality is that IT IS a topic because some idiot started a thread stating " Lets trade Portis".. Then we had other people jumping on the "trade portis " bandwaggon and now they've got to listen to the truth!

The Truth is Portis would've scored a TD on that play.....

The Truth is Portis has NEVER fumbled as a Redskin with the game on the line..

The Truth is Portis is better than Betts..

(doesn't mean Betts is sorry, just not as good as Portis)

I haven't read one person in this thread say Betts is better than Portis. The majority of us are saying don't hang him for the mistake. Nothing else.

I'm a person in favor of Portis, by a long shot.

But relax a little bit.

Maybe you missed that guy Nuwanda's post claiming Betts superiority due to his higher ypc.

You probably also missed my post where I said I didn't advocate getting rid of Betts. I like Betts, a lot. But as a backup, not as a replacement of Portis.

The thread was aimed at those who want to trade him for whatever ignorant thing crosses their mind.

Portis is clutch, Betts is a career backup.

And to the poster asking about how many times CP has taken one like that to the house, I seem to remember Portis doing it against the rams just last year, to the tune of a beautiful 40 + yard td. I assume you watched the games last year, right?

I can honestly say that this is the best our oline has played over a five game period since Gibbs return. I'd like to see Portis run behind THIS line before I cast him off.

Even at half speed he's better than Betts, and I like Betts quite a bit. You can't judge Portis based on anything that happened during the course of this season, though. He just wasn't right after that initial shoulder injury in pre-season. You knew he was favoring it because that 75-yard shovel pass in the Houston game was 6 points last season, period. Favoring the shoulder this year he had to avoid contact and it hurt his game, considerably. All that being considered I'd like to see the best running back in Redskins history get a little bit more respect from the members here. Yea, I said it. He is better than Riggins. Even suggesting to trade him is blasphemous.

I can honestly say that this is the best our oline has played over a five game period since Gibbs return. I'd like to see Portis run behind THIS line before I cast him off.

Even at half speed he's better than Betts, and I like Betts quite a bit. You can't judge Portis based on anything that happened during the course of this season, though. He just wasn't right after that initial shoulder injury in pre-season. You knew he was favoring it because that 75-yard shovel pass in the Houston game was 6 points last season, period. Favoring the shoulder this year he had to avoid contact and it hurt his game, considerably. All that being considered I'd like to see the best running back in Redskins history get a little bit more respect from the members here. Yea, I said it. He is better than Riggins. Even suggesting to trade him is blasphemous.

ur right 100%

even joe gibbs admitted it

So my desire to keep Portis as our starter is a "kee jerk" reaction? Cause I thought I had formed that opinion after watching him run for our team for the last three seasons.

The way your intial post started out to me is a knee jerk reaction. You can support Portis all you want. If you read my reply, I think he is the better back and should be the starter...but not at the expense of putting Betts' head on a pike because of a fumble..like Portis never fumbles. Instead of stating an educated case...you came off as someone that couldn't wait for Betts to mess up so you can point out to all of the "riding Betts wagoneers" that Portis is better.

I don't think your want or desire has much to do with who is going to be the starter next season.

Also well said Illone.

Considering the guy just passed up an opportunity to earn a huge pay day and potentially start for another team so he could stay in Washington as a backup, you can't fault Betts for making a mistake at an inopportune time. In case you forgot, that game winning run by steven jackson went right over top of #21, and nobody is criticising him. In a season where the team wins 6 games or less, there are a lot of mistakes being made, so lets just support the squad and hope they can spoil things for the giants and look forward to a productive offseason.

Archived