Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A look at our age and depth chart....

chaught76

Below is positional list of team with age included and starters noted in bold and Practice Squad players in italic:

QB

Jason Campbell - 25

Mark Brunell - 36

Todd Collins - 35

RB

Clinton Portis - 25 (IR for 06 season)

Ladell Betts - 27

TJ Duckett - 25

Rock Cartwright - 27

FB

Mike Sellers - 31

Nehemiah Broughton - 24

Manuel White Jr. - 24 (IR for 06 season)

WR

Santana Moss - 27

Brandon Llyod - 25

Antwaan Randle El - 27

James Thrash - 31

David Patten - 32

Mike Espy - 24

Steven Harris - 25

TE

Chris Cooley - 24

Todd Yoder - 28

Brian Kozlowski - 36

Christian Fauria - 35 (IR for 06 season)

C

Casey Rabach - 31

Mike Pucillo - 27

Ethan Albright - 35

G

Randy Thomas - 30

Derrick Dockery - 26

Taylor Whitley - 26

Nick Steitz - 24

T

Jon Jansen - 30

Chris Samuels - 29

Todd Wade - 30

Jim Molinaro - 25

K

Shaun Suisham - 25

John Hall - 32 (IR for 06 season)

P

Derrick Frost - 26

DE

Andre Carter - 27

Phillip Daniels - 33

Rynaldo Wynn - 32

Demetric Evans - 27

Joe Sykes - 24

Jamaal Green - 26

DT

Cornelius Griffin - 30

Kedric Golston - 23

Joe Salave'a - 31

Anthony Montgomery - 22

Ryan Boschetti - 25

Lorenzo Alexander - 23

Vaka Manupuna - 24 (IR for 06 season)

LB

Marcus Washington - 29

Lamar Marshall - 30

Warrick Holdman - 31

Rocky McIntosh - 24

Jeff Posey - 31

Khary Campbell - 27

Philippe Gardent - 27

Anthony Trucks - 23

CB

Shawn Springs - 31

Carlos Rogers - 25

Kenny Wright - 29

Mike Rumph - 27

Ade Jimoh - 26

John Eubanks - 23

S

Sean Taylor - 23

Troy Vincent - 35

Vernon Fox - 27

Adam Archuleta - 29

Pierson Prioleau - 29 (IR for 06 season)

Reed Doughty - 24

I am no expert when it comes to football talent, but in looking at our roster and based on my opinion of our talent levels, I would have to say our O-line and DE need the most help. Follow that up with our LBs and DBs needing some serious help as well.

Just thought I would put this list together so everyone has a good idea where we stand age and depth chart wise right now. I have read and contributed to a lot of threads saying, " so and so is too old and will cost to much", and I guess my opinion is I don't see a problem acquiring free agents as long as A) we don't give up our draft picks and B) we see we getting an upgrade. Allow me to elaborate on point B. For example, let's say we sign Adailus Thomas to a moderate to high priced 4 year deal as a FA. He has proven his durability and versatility and is 29 years of age. I think this may be OK as long as we are upgrading players and not holding onto the player(s) being replaced. Back to the example, in signing Thomas, we release Holdman and K. Campbell and promote Anthony Trucks.

Just my :2cents:, so take or leave. Hopefully this starts a good discussion.

HTTR!! :helmet:

Very nice post. In addition to the age issue with some of these guys the ir list is pretty concerning as well. Way too many players have been hurt this year. I agree with the oline and d line. We need a pass rusher no doubt, but would like to see some more depth or future players be drafted for that o line.

Thats why it pains for me to see people talking about " Trade Portis " He is soo young and has soo many years to give to us.

Betts is great. And we are lucky to have him as well.

I hope our next big signing is Taylor.

All these young guys will do well for us in the long run!!!

Thanks for the update about Nick Steitz and for the great points so far. I know the statistical longevity for each position will very, but I still think a mixture of youth and experience is a must for a championship team, and there is nothing wrong signing an "older" player as long as you are replacing/upgrading the position (see the Adailus Thomas example in my initial post). Thanks for the feedback so far.

:thumbsup:

FYI, the Chiefs offensive line from 02-05, was probably the best unit of the past 10 years. 3 of their offensive lineman (LT, LG, C) were 29 or older when they STARTED to make their run at demolishing defensive lines. Roaf and Shields were 32 I think.

Lineman can often play at a high level into their mid-30s. I wouldn't necessarily count on it, and like every team every year, we should consider improving depth. But I don't look at the offensive line as a place where we have immediate needs.

(BTW - Casey Rabach is 29)

There is nothing wrong with adding a Vet here and there, but what I don't want to see is an all out abandonment of building through the draft for the sake of pursuing the next best thing in FA that turns out to be a bust 50% of the time.

If we were to sign Thomas to be our MLB I would think we keep the young, cheap backup K Campbell, and jettison Posey and Holdmann.

You would have Rocky and Washington on the outside, with Thomas in the middle. 2 LB's in their peak years, and one up and coming young guy.

Looking at your chart from AGE perspective only. I would also target a 2nd young-ish QB, as well as some more young OL. Ideally for QB you would like to have Campbell, a young journeymen type guy like Tim Rattay, and then the veteran Collins.

Nice post.

While I think we can get by for the next couple of years with our oline situation, it is something that hopefully we can shore up with some late round gems. It's going to be hard to do something for next year because of the amount of money tied up into guys like Samuels, Jansen, and Thomas. You can't cut all those guys or even a couple because of the cap hit.

I hope for this offseason that through free agency/draft we focus on lb's and def line. We need some studs there and guys like Golston are guys we need to find more often. Remember, Montgomery was the higher pick but it seems like Golston is the better player.

FYI, the Chiefs offensive line from 02-05, was probably the best unit of the past 10 years. 3 of their offensive lineman (LT, LG, C) were 29 or older when they STARTED to make their run at demolishing defensive lines. Roaf and Shields were 32 I think.

Lineman can often play at a high level into their mid-30s. I wouldn't necessarily count on it, and like every team every year, we should consider improving depth. But I don't look at the offensive line as a place where we have immediate needs.

(BTW - Casey Rabach is 29)

I absolutely agree btw... You want to be letting Bugs groom some kids as backups depth in our situation. Our OL should be in its peak the next 2-3 seasons which gives Bugs plenty of time to develop some 3-5 round OL for the future. Now if Molinaro is the real deal then he should be seeing playing time soon. If not get a young T project to begin grooming with the idea that Jansen and Samuals will be starting for 2-3 seasons...

1400 carries already.

Just remember that you shouldn't measure a RBs age in terms of years but in terms of hits.

Just sayin'.

...and how many does Tomlinson have?

2012 and is 27. Portis shoulder was a freak thing I think. He won't have has many carries next year, not to mention if the line contiues to play it has for Betts, he'll have 5+/car.

Even more good feedback.

To respond to all the comments:

The idea of replacing Holdman and Posey makes good, maybe better, sense as well because it still follows the criteria of replacing/updating older/experienced players with better older players. Also, it still leaves the opportunity for K. Campbell to continue succeeding on special teams and start developing another young LB.

I made the comment about the O-Line needing better depth, and still think that is the case. Todd Wade and Mike Pucillo appear to be quality backups, with Wade being the best because his past experience. I am still not sold on Molinaro and I don't think any of us have clue about what Taylor Whitley can do. That being said, I agree O-linemen can have a longer NFL life span, but I start thinking about Jansen getting banged up this year and Thomas last year, and makes me wish we had our next starting all-pro tackle waiting in the wing. I truly believe the game is won and lost in the trenches. I think the ability of an offense or defense to impose its will on the other team starts will the line and having the another road grader ready to go is so important and I don't see that young guy on bench.

I know there a lot factors weighed into a picking a roster and it really is crap shot drafting players, but if I had to sight a weakness of our organization, it probably impatience and seemingly lack of trust in integrating young players.

A did you know: Sean was the youngest safety in the league when training camp opened in 06, to include rookies. The best safety in the universe hands down. You say what about those missed tackles? Well, Reed had a few this past weekend too.

Taylor is finishing his 2 year with the team. I think he probably our best defensive player. Curiously though, how does his first 2 years compare to other great free safeties who played. Maybe it is 2 early to look at this, but I was just wondering.

I just wish we could find the other glove to play along side Taylor for a couple of years. It seems to me that a Strong and Free safety who have played together a couple of years would have a real advantage because they would know how each other would react in various situations. Finally, I really liked the Troy Vincent acquisition because it gives Taylor a high quality veteran to learn from, on and off the field.

I am no expert when it comes to football talent, but in looking at our roster and based on my opinion of our talent levels, I would have to say our O-line and DE need the most help. Follow that up with our LBs and DBs needing some serious help as well.

Great Post. Equally good opinion of needs. Although the starters on the O-line are solid, and will continue to play well for a couple more years, young back-ups are definitely needed.

-The Dline has gotten old quick and there is a need at D-end.

-LBs just aren't very big, and not physical, with MW being exception. Definiet need there.

- DBs...where to begin? Corner is a need, as is a SS.

I see a big push for young defensive players across the board.

Thanks!

I see a big push for young defensive players across the board.

Thanks!

I agree with you, but the fact is that the def. staff may not agree with us. They have shown a propensity to prefer the veterans over the young talents. This is esp. true with LB, as Dale Lindsley is an arrogant cuss by most accounts. They may actually prefer players who just do what they want the first time, rather than take the time to teach a rookie how to do what they want.

This is just a possibility to consider.

I have to agree that I think we focus more on improving our defense in the off-season. Again, based on age and my perception of the talent level, I would rank our needs as follows:

1 - D-line, specially DE.

2A - O-Line

2B - DB, specifically CB

3 - LB

There are only 2 free agents I could see going after: Nate Clements or Adailus Thomas. Both may be hard to acquire though because they are both going to ask top dollar, and I think Thomas is probably already happy in Baltimore and would stay there is reasonable contract.

1400 carries already.

Just remember that you shouldn't measure a RBs age in terms of years but in terms of hits.

Just sayin'.

Definitely agree here, there's a stat out there somewhere that gives the "average life span" of each NFL position, RB's I'm almost postive have the shortest. The greats stay in the league and produce for a long time, that's because they are the greats and obviously the exception to the rule.

If you think of the RB's that have stayed in the league well past the average, they've avoided most big hints...not to say everyone but for the most part, stepping out of bounds, even going down easily...say being leg tackled---seeing a Sean Taylor like safety honing in and just going down instead of trying to break the tackle.

All that being said, Portis seems to like to punish tacklers and uses his shoulders A LOT. They hurt him at the end of last season and we all know how this season started. Hopeful that changes the way he runs in the future and he'll last longer but???????

Archived