Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins VS Saints Official Post Game Thread (Merged)

Pete

Great win against New Orleans, but once again our offense had good drives and only leding to FG's. The Defense was great today, helding them to a season low 10 pts.
The defense played AWESOME. Hats off to Washington, Rogers , Taylor, Carter, and the whole D just looked great. Campbell's receivers are going to have to get used to a qb who can get the ball there and farther than they even expected as they seemed to under-run some routes, but heck of a day for the receivers and Cooley anyway as they beat a really good Saints team. Gibbs REALLY had me worried when AGAIN he decided not to go for a TD on 4th down. But the game balls gotta go to the D for sealing it after that call.

You know all year long I've been on the Chris Samuels bandwagon even when everyone was hopping off saying how ovepaid and crappy he was.

Well once again Samuels completely shut down an elite pass rusher in Will Smith, who had 10 sacks coming into the year.

It's time some of you guys(I don't know who in particular)step up and admit you were wrong and I was right. Samuels should be an All-Pro and may be the best LT in the NFC.

Absolutely agree!

Samuels was a monster out there today, and he's been a rock all season long. One of the premiere tackles in the NFC and in the league.

Its feels better that I didnt expect them to win, and they did.

AGREED!!...The one time this season that I had no hope of a win...we pull it out!..I feel upset w/myself for not having at least that little ray of hope that I almost always cling to every year...I did that last year..and we went to 1st round...but this season...I had held on and held on until my fingers were bleeding!...and when I finally conceded that we most likely would get thrashed today..look what they do!..I was so freakin happy....I was so pleased to see a TEAM EFFORT!!..The D looked like our D(w/a few exceptions..but we won..so I won't nitpik)..the only complaint I have is the not going for it on 4th & 2 and settling for a FG instead...Thank God our D was playin well enough to keep them from scoring in the end.

I LOVE WINNING!!!

HTTR!:point2sky

Despite the euphoria over this meaningless win, this game shows the Skins still have serious deficiencies. The coaching still sucks ... on offense, play calling, penalties and lack of aggression made the game harder to win ... not a recipie for dominance. On defense, I've never seen such terrible linebacker play on a Skins team. And the pass rush pressure on Brees was weak ... he was able to complete those short dinks over the middle for first downs time after time. Drops by Saint receivers and great plays by Springs, Rogers and Taylor made the defense appear better than it was. The jury still is out on whether Campbell will be a franchise savoir. His mechanics (slow release) and poor accuracy rob him of consistency and he does not seem to be as fast on his feet as originally thought. The receiving corps continues to disappoint. Cooley has erratic hands and ARE simply is not a game-changing receiver. The Skins dseparately need a speedy, fast and LARGE possession receiver who can outmuscle the defensive backs and grab those deep high passes. IMO, the Skins have a long way to go in order to become competitiive.

I feel like the improvements on defense are encouraging. Three of the last four weeks, the defense has been pretty good (Carolina, Philly, Saints) and one or two upgrades there through the draft (a defensive line stud for sure) and this defense will be good again.

One thing I did notice today is the fact that the offense was calling a LOT of deep passes!! Even if they don't connect of all of them, the defense MUST back off the line of scrimmage and in turn that opened up a lot of running lanes for Betts and Duckett. A GREAT sign for next season.

You're right. Just the threat of the deep ball helps the running game and should add some yardage to the dumpoffs as well.

Most pass plays have a deep option. I think what we are seeing is not the play calling so much as Campbell's inclination to throw deep contrasted with Brunell's reluctance. They are polar opposites in that regard.

Jason made a couple of unwise throws to a double-covered Santana and got away with both. I look for Joe Gibbs to rein him in a bit when those start getting picked.

Meanwhile, it's fun to see some deep balls well thrown, isn't it?

The Skins ARE finding their identity. Could it have happened earlier in the season? Maybe....

But the point is that they are finding it. They don't have rebuild next season. Tweak this and that, add some depth and they'll be fine next year.

We will have the best running game in the NFC East, a solid defense, and a young athletic quarterback with talented receivers.... Redskins will be a contender next year.

Archived