Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This team will be good, we all expected way too much!

bbuzz1962

I am disappointed in many of my fellow Extremeskins. We all expected this team to become champions in just one year. Yes, one year. Actually it hasn't even been a year since we hired a new offensive coordinator, new free agency signings, and a completely new offensive play book.

Our expectations were set way too high. Once I started thinking of all the changes this team went through during the offseason, I began to realize that it takes time to build unity, confidence in one another, and learning a huge play book.

Yes, it would have been great if this team absorbed all the changes, and run the table straight to the Superbowl. This is what I call grand illusions.

Give Gibbs the time he needs to make the adjustments this off season, and get a deeper understanding of the new offensive coordinator, and playbook. I honestly think with the way Jason Campbell handles himself now, that next season he will be a great quarterback for this team.

Getting Clinton Portis back, and Ladell Betts, I feel we will have one of the best running games in the season. Couple that with the receivers we signed, and another year to learn the playbook, the offense will greatly improve.

I also think we will make the necessary defensive moves to regain the great defense we had up to this season. Hopefully injuries will not jeopardize the lineup either, as it has this season.

So guys, what I am trying to say here is, we have the pieces to make a championship team, it just takes time for everyone to get to know each other, and the system. The Skins will return to their championship form. We just need to be patient, and let the team develop into a dominant force we all want.

^^ It really ended up taking a lot more time than everyone thought including the players and caoches. There are a lot of other factors, but it really ends up being about individual players having a tough time adjusting. They'll get it straight and I'm glad we're gonna have some consistency in the offseason. One thing we know from Gibbs II is that everytime we go into an offseason without changing much coaching-wise we end up playing real well.

I am disappointed in many of my fellow Extremeskins. We all expected this team to become champions in just one year. Yes, one year. Actually it hasn't even been a year since we hired a new offensive coordinator, new free agency signings, and a completely new offensive play book.

Our expectations were set way too high. Once I started thinking of all the changes this team went through during the offseason, I began to realize that it takes time to build unity, confidence in one another, and learning a huge play book.

Yes, it would have been great if this team absorbed all the changes, and run the table straight to the Superbowl. This is what I call grand illusions.

Give Gibbs the time he needs to make the adjustments this off season, and get a deeper understanding of the new offensive coordinator, and playbook. I honestly think with the way Jason Campbell handles himself now, that next season he will be a great quarterback for this team.

Getting Clinton Portis back, and Ladell Betts, I feel we will have one of the best running games in the season. Couple that with the receivers we signed, and another year to learn the playbook, the offense will greatly improve.

I also think we will make the necessary defensive moves to regain the great defense we had up to this season. Hopefully injuries will not jeopardize the lineup either, as it has this season.

So guys, what I am trying to say here is, we have the pieces to make a championship team, it just takes time for everyone to get to know each other, and the system. The Skins will return to their championship form. We just need to be patient, and let the team develop into a dominant force we all want.

Well so much for my 1,000th post but I agree 100%. I made a similiar post a couple of days ago.

I agree with most of what you say about the offense, but I think that the defense is a major area of concern. Griffin and Salevea(sp) are both going to be a year older, Springs is a year older, Rogers had laid nothing but eggs this year, Rocky can't displace an NFL journeyman, Carter apparantly lacks some of the essentials to play end, Daniels is average, and we need a new safety to replace Archuleta.

We'd be incredibly fortunate to finish in the middle of the pack defensively next year, considering these issues. Golston and Montgomery may improve their games, but I don't see much young talent on this side of the ball.

Expectations were high from within and out given:

1) JG's 3rd year. Not the 1 year you are proclaiming.

2) Team was 2 wins from Super Bowl.

3) Supposedly, added "good" coach(s) and players(s) to shore up our weakness.

The truth is this team was lucky last year going on winning streak at the end. Made team seem much better than it actually was. Plus, what we added doesn't seem to be working / fitting /helping the team compare to talents we have let go. Right now, the future doesn't seem bright.

while i somewhat agree with you, it was almost impossible NOT to have high expectations after the way we finished last year. we won 5 straight games, then the playoff game against the bucs, and we played seattle very close in seattle. i feel that if we hadn't had so many injuries at the beginning of the season (including portis in the preseason), this would have been a totally different season. so, yes i do agree we will be good, but we were not wrong in expecting a lot this year.

I'm on board. I always feel dissapointment when we lose, but never the anger and rage I've seen around here.

I don't buy Gibbs is senile

I don't buy Synder is the anti-Christ

I don't buy the players aren't talented

I don't buy the coaches don't know what they're doing

I DO buy, they came into this season with a "we won 5 straight last year, next year should be a piece of cake" attitude

I do buy important positions were wrecked by injuries.

I do buy it's been only one year with a totally new system.

Playoff Appearance+Key Additions+OC that has been best in league+Hall of Fame Coach+The "Studs" on offense=Expectations

There's really no excuse IMO that we shouldn't be back in the playoffs at least

Exactly. I mean hell, look at NO. They've got almost entire new TEAM and they're spanking teams left and right...

Expectations were high for sure, but they were high for a reason. They will be high next year as well. Not only did this team fall short of expectations, they fell off a CLIFF!! Hey, we're staring 4-12 right in the face here people!!

Having high expectations and falling short of them is one thing. But, having high expectations and struggling to field a marginally competitive team is another.

Believe me, the expecations for this season were not so high that they were unreachable. If this team took care of business agianst the Titans and Vikings, we would be close to meeting those high expectations. As it stands now, this team dropped a huge deuce right in the middle of the bed. I'm disappointed.

However, I don't think any massive rebuilding is necessary. I think we can be competitive for the playoffs next year.

If you say our expectations were that the Redskins would be champions this year, I would think it's a LITTLE high, but not impossible. I say this because look at how we finished last year. We won a playoff game and came close to going to the NFC championship game. The right expectation was that we go to the NFC championship this year, the ambitious yet possible expectation was to win the Super Bowl.

It doesn't matter if we hired a new OC, or obtained new players, or whatever. Whatever we did in the offseason was supposed to increased our chances of IMPROVING from last year, not take steps backwards.

In that aspect, I don't think the fans' expectations were too high. The team just let us down. Period.

You are disappointed in the FANS?

the FANS lost 9 games? on their way to 12???

The Redskins themselves set the expectations with one statement:

"Anything less than a Superbowl run will be a disappointment."

I never bought into that after watching their preseason play and I had hoped, at best a 9-7 season but they arent even playing anywhere near that level.

The Skins are the new Arizona Cardinals and Detroit Lions. They have the 4th or 5th worst record in the last 15 years. That says it all.

That said, I will never miss a game and will always root for them to win.

Actually, it was the organization that set this standard. Remember that all offseason leading up to training camp, all we heard was that we where gearing up for a superbowl run. Players like Brunell and Jansen made no bones about the fact that this year was Superbowl or bust, (that right there was one BIG mistake). Not only that, but the team made some bad personell decisions in the process, with allowing Clark to go the Steelers for pennys, while you tremendously over spent for a coverage liability in Archaleta. We didn't sure up any depth on our Oline or Dline, which basically meant that we were way too aggressive in Free agency and not in the draft. Personally, i have nothing against Saunders, and actually believe that he will work out here, but Gibbs didn't need to go out and hire a coordinator, not after being number 11 in offense. All he need was alittle more depth at WR and on the Oline. What has happened is that the core of our team has gotten old in one season. The defense, which as one of the most aggressive and dicipline in the league, has become God awful. We couldn't generate any pass rush, can't stop the run, too many penalties, constantly out of position, and it didn't hurt that some of our key guys were hurt for an extended period of time.

We've all seen the Brunell quote. When you have players saying things like that, you can't expect the fans not to have high expectations.

By the way it is not like we are on our way 8-8 and only going to miss out because there are two really good teams in our division. We are one of the worse teams in the what is easily the weaker conference.

Guest Rafterman

:doh:

BULL****

Have you taken a look at the Saints?

We expected a winner. That is not expecting too much when you look at this teams roster, payroll and coaching staff. Joe Gibbs and his staff let everyone down. PERIOD

Now run along before I really get nasty.

I'm losing my patience with the Kool-Aid drinking set.

Whatever. We've been saying similar chit since '93. :rolleyes:

From now on, I'm expecting the worst and hoping for the best. We are, after all, the fifth worst team, in terms of total victories, in the NFL since Gibbs I.

Believe what you want, but this organization sucks. :(

Comparing this team to other teams that might be doing better at this point is apples and oranges. Did any of those teams start a 36yro quarterback who is way past his best playing days?

The truth is, we all knew that Brunell was a huge question mark. The entire football world knew that as well, and warned us of that.

To bring in as many new players as we have, and coaches, and assume that we are just going to roll over teams is not thinking straight.

Our defense saved this team last season, and that is the only reason we made the playoffs, and won against the Bucs. When we played the Seahawks, our weaknesses were obvious.

The only reason I stated I was disappointed in my Extremeskins members is the amount of just pure hate related threads. I wasn't trying to diss anyone. I was caught up in it as well until I thought it out.

I am not saying that we shoudn't be disappointed this year, it is just that we need to give this newer version of our team time to work everything out. It will happen, and I honestly think we win our division next year.

I know it's hard, we have had some really bad years since Gibbs left his first tour of duty. He will get it done. Just look at the history of both football and nascar, and to bet against him, is really a losing bet.

I think expectations were too high, and I'm as guilty as anyone. I am positive about next season because some stability should set in this offseason. The defense is a concern, but I do believe it will improve, maybe not be fixed, but improve. I look down this season's results and see that we have lost 4 GAMES BY A FIELD GOAL OR LESS. Now I know the team hasn't played too well, but if you reversed the fortune of one of those games, we are still alive...two of those games, we are in the thick of the playoff race...three of those games, we are likely going to the playoffs...and all four we lead the division and are talking about Superbowl possibilities and buying home playoff tickets. So, this year has sucked, but all things considered they could be a lot worse.

Archived