Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does The Secondary Make The D-line Or Is It The Other Way Around?

SKINZ33

As I've been reading the various opinions and listening to the radio, I was thinking about what some of the glaring issues are facing the Skins in terms of positions and started to ask myself what do we need more? Do we need more help on the D-line especially when it comes to the pass rush or should we try to address the secondary concerns first.

I ask because I was thinking that this goes along with the debate as to whether the QB makes the WR or vice versa. Does the Line make the secondary or is it the other way around?

I don't think the FO will be able to address all the needs this offseason so where should their concentrations lay? They could after Clements, Smoot but what do they risk in terms of additions to the line? I think we sould try and build D-line depth and go after a pass rusher (if ones available) and then move springs over to safety and then worry about shoring up another CB. If we can build a stable pass rush then I think that can somewhat mask some of our secondary deficiencies for at least one more season. Obviously I would love for them to do both but I don't think they have that flexibility.

What do you guys think?

Its just like the offense. Everything starts up in front. You can have an all star QB, RB, and WR but without your OFFLINE to block during pass and rush you wont get anywhere.

Defense starts up front. You can have your TOP DB's, LB's but without pressure from the front they won't be able to do much. Last year our defense was doing good because we brought pressure to the QB's. Everyone knows pressuring the QB the ENTIRE game leads to turnover oppoturnitys.

We need should draft to build our front.

Its just like the offense. Everything starts up in front. You can have an all star QB, RB, and WR but without your OFFLINE to block during pass and rush you wont get anywhere.

Defense starts up front. You can have your TOP DB's, LB's but without pressure from the front they won't be able to do much. Last year our defense was doing good because we brought pressure to the QB's. Everyone knows pressuring the QB the ENTIRE game leads to turnover oppoturnitys.

Exactly right!

:applause:

That's right. Ask any NFL coach if he'd rather have a great DL and an average secondary, or a great secondary and an average DL, and he'll take the great DL every time. Every time.

That's right. Ask any NFL coach if he'd rather have a great DL and an average secondary, or a great secondary and an average DL, and he'll take the great DL every time. Every time.

At this point Id be really happy if the Skins had a "great" anyting on Defense. After last nights stomping of the girls - this next weeks game against the Saints is not going to be pretty. I hope that the Skins can address the need for a great DE in the draft this year.

Its just like the offense. Everything starts up in front. You can have an all star QB, RB, and WR but without your OFFLINE to block during pass and rush you wont get anywhere. See: Arizona Cardinals

Defense starts up front. You can have your TOP DB's, LB's but without pressure from the front they won't be able to do much. Last year our defense was doing good because we brought pressure to the QB's. Everyone knows pressuring the QB the ENTIRE game leads to turnover oppoturnitys... a playmaking seconday can too. See: Bengals last year.

We need should draft to build our front. All we need is on more DE. We are fine at DT and AC gets better every week.

I can't agree so much on the defensive side. I think a shutdown corner is the second most valuable position in the NFL, behind a great quarterback. Third I would have to say is a dominant pass rusher.

I think you need a shutdown corner to cover a team's #1 reciever. QB's will usually look to their #1 more often than anyone else, and if they are consistantly well-covered it creates problems. (See: Us and Carolina as victims of this) The QB has to make more reads than they are comfortable with and it gives the pass rush more time.

It is a difficult arguement to make either way defensively. I think I would take the dominant line over a playmaking seconday, but not by much. They both rely on each other heavily.

"I can't agree so much on the defensive side. I think a shutdown corner is the second most valuable position in the NFL, behind a great quarterback. Third I would have to say is a dominant pass rusher.

I think you need a shutdown corner to cover a team's #1 reciever. QB's will usually look to their #1 more often than anyone else, and if they are consistantly well-covered it creates problems. (See: Us and Carolina as victims of this) The QB has to make more reads than they are comfortable with and it gives the pass rush more time.

It is a difficult arguement to make either way defensively. I think I would take the dominant line over a playmaking seconday, but not by much. They both rely on each other heavily."

a shutdown corner takes away one receiver. a sack by the d-line TAKES AWAY ALL RECEIVERS!

I firmly believe that if the Redskins had 16th best defensive line in the NFL, Springs, Rogers, and Taylor could be pro bowlers.

INDEED..... springs may never see the day because he is getting old... but if this team can get a DE and a DT to shore up this line and allow for rotations( Griffin and Daniels are still fine.. but training some rooks is essential).. and we can get Smoot for Nickel and Samuels/Clements for competing with springs as starter.... then Taylor/Rogers/CB/Whoever we can find for SS will be a great group if the quarterback is hurried at least every other play.

I can't agree so much on the defensive side. I think a shutdown corner is the second most valuable position in the NFL, behind a great quarterback. .

Tim Ryan of NFL radio has a saying I agree with. "You show me a Pro-Bowl corner and I'll show you a Pro-Bowl DE in front of him."

The game is won in the trenches, not the secondary. Dline all the way.

Tim Ryan of NFL radio has a saying I agree with. "You show me a Pro-Bowl corner and I'll show you a Pro-Bowl DE in front of him."

The game is won in the trenches, not the secondary. Dline all the way.

Thats not completely true. Champ Bailey was a pro bowler here (and rightfully so) and he never had a pro bowl defensive lineman.

That being said, its largely the other way around. Baltimore, Chicago, and Minnesota are lead the NFL in interceptions. They all have superb defensive lines.

I would definitely say D line, though you still have to have competent DBs to make plays out of the hurried QB's mistakes. However, a great pass rush is where it all starts; usually ends up in a sack, a bad decision, or a poor throw.

That being said...it also helps if you have a corner who can catch interceptions that are thrown right to him. :doh:

Archived