Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

EAGLES @ REDSKINS postgame thread

Pete

I'm sure it was the coaches fault that we missed tackles and let the Eagles run out the clock with 5 minutes left. I'm sure it was the coaches fault that Shawn Springs gave a 10 yard cushion on 2nd and 9 and still allowed the first down. I'm sure it was the coaches fault that we had 11 penalties on the day. I'm sure it was the coaches fault that Marcus Washington missed the easiest interception that he'll have in his career.

There were plenty of positives in today's game: our rushing ability (5.3 yards on 40 carries for 210 yards), our determination to run the ball and control the clock (70 plays versus 45, twice as much time of possession), some clutch third downs (44% on the day), Jason Campbell's excitable scrambling ability. However, mindless boneheaded plays continue to kill us, with just dumb penalties and horribly missed arm tackles. We lacked execution in the final third. Our coaches, while they did screw up with time managment and did not always call the perfect play every single down (but then again, who does?) - they still put us in the position to win and win comfortably. We had a good gameplan but when it mattered, we could not execute and finish them off.

The last defensive series was absolutely unexcusable, and it is blatantly clear that we lack any sort of playmaker on that side of the ball. When we needed a big play from someone, anyone on the defense, we failed to get it.

Well Actually.....

The last drive run stopping plays were called in passing situations and vice versa....Fault: Greg Williams

Even when we have a chance to take the lead or win, we have dummy penalties.

FGs are not going to get it done!

JC seemed to show some maturity, and the 2nd half wasn't bad.

He will get better, but coaching has to change :doh:

Betts is showing we made the right decision to resign him! :thumbsup:

but it was coaches fault to get rid of players that could tackle. easy as that!

u say we lack playmakers on that side of the balll....... who got rid of good playmakers on our d? it always comes back to the coaches my man. u should know this. the motto " its not theplayers, its the system," whos is it?

I think the egregious mistakes our front office has made in terms of personel decisions has been well documented on ES, and at this junction, it really is a moot point. We cannot go back and fix such errors, so there no point in continuing to lampoon the coaching staff in past offseason mistakes. The fact is, the players we have are professionals in the National Football League, get paid millions and simply fail to execute and keep their head in the game. If you look at the Saints, a team full of rejects that gave away talent and collected 27 new faces - the majority of whom were discarded by other teams - look at what they have accomplished. It is not all about talent in this league, but playing smart and playing with passion.

Do I think that we will be in much better shap next season? Yes. Do I think/hope that we will keep the vast majority of the players that we have now and will not orchastrate a major overhaul once again? Yes. Do I think our players have mailed it in for the most part and cannot match the passion on the opposite side of the line? Yes.

There's only so much the coaches can do, but when the players step across that while line, its in their hands to make plays. Hopefully a new season with a bright young quarterback will get this team rejuvinated and going again in the offseason. We have a number of good things going for us if we can keep this coaching staff and playing personel together. But until then, it seems like our players have quit on the season and are looking forward to their respective vacations in 3 weeks.

How can Betts not be in the line up when we have first and goal? Duckett are you f##$ kidding me? We run the ball all game and then get cute on the goaline.

Also Gibbs and Saunders had no balls in the third quarter on fourth and two in Eagle territory.

I am so tired of Joe Gibbs this coaching staff- fire em all.

I know its a bit late and I'm sure it was commented on earlier, but weren't you guys sick of Fox showing that dumb looking eagles fan who the announcers thought was so clever because he had a different jersey for offense and defense? Typical Philly idiot.

I'm really down about today's loss but I can't even imagine had I been there...This is just one of those losses that eats away at you for days. With my luck (and I'm sure many others') it just so happens to be finals week. Heres to those :cheers: driving home in traffic on 495 that struggled to accept the end result today...Have a good weekend and lets hope for a W next week. peace. -Wes-

Well Actually.....

The last drive run stopping plays were called in passing situations and vice versa....Fault: Greg Williams

Philadelphia - 4:52

1st-10, PHI23 4:52 J. Garcia passed to R. Brown to the right for 5 yard gain

2nd-5, PHI28 4:11 B. Westbrook rushed to the left for 4 yard gain

3rd-1, PHI32 3:34 J. Garcia passed to T. Tapeh to the right for 4 yard gain

1st-10, PHI36 3:28 B. Westbrook rushed to the left for 1 yard gain

2nd-9, PHI37 3:22 J. Garcia passed to D. Stallworth to the left for 16 yard gain

1st-10, WAS47 2:38 B. Westbrook rushed to the right for 3 yard gain

2nd-7, WAS44 2:37 B. Westbrook rushed to the left for 12 yard gain

1st-10, WAS32 2:00 J. Garcia rushed up the middle for 1 yard loss

2nd-11, WAS33 1:19 J. Garcia rushed up the middle for 1 yard loss

3rd-12, WAS34 0:36 J. Garcia rushed up the middle for 1 yard loss

I think those are all running situations, every single one of them. And it wasn't Gregg Williams who told Shawn Springs to give Stallworth a 10 yard cushion, and then have him miss an arm tackle in desperation after giving up the pass. It wasn't Gregg Williams who allowed Westbrook to run for a 12 yard gain on 2nd and long.

It's easy to blame the coaches for everything; its using the same rationale as blaming the refs for a loss as well

This loss sucked and the play calling when we had 1st and goal on the 3 was dumb. We should have just pounded it in with Betts or have given the next 2 downs to Duckett instead of getting cute. Saunders' playcalling inside the red zone in general was questionable.

But I think our future looks good for next year. Portis will be back, and Campbell will have had a solid 7 games of experience under his belt. If we can just teach Carlos Rogers how to catch in the offseason and get McIntosh ready to start next year instead of Holdman, who is a pathetic excuse for a weakside linebacker, our future is bright.

71 Albright, Ethan -- Does his job but, needs a better madden rating. :silly:

40 Archuleta, Adam -- Good as gone--or better be.

46 Betts, Ladell -- Worth every penny. Fits this offense perfectly.

73 Boschetti, Ryan -- Depth.

8 Brunell, Mark -- You can't complain about back-ups can you? Take a pay cut or your gone.

17 Campbell, Jason-- Poised, needs to work on his decision making but, he is young. I am looking forward to what he has in store for us.

50 Campbell, Khary -- You are alright. Good on ST.

99 Carter, Andre -- Starting to come around.

31 Cartwright, Rock -- Solid STer.

15 Collins, Todd -- Who? :silly:

47 Cooley, Chris -- Had a bad start but, is coming into his own. Needs

an extention and as quick as yesterday.

93 Daniels, Phillip -- Not young but, still can play.

66 Dockery, Derrick -- Our best o-liners this year to date. :doh:

37 Doughty, Reed -- Young with potential.

36 Duckett, T.J. -- Not used and when he is.. nothing impressive. Sorry TJ, the Skins wasted your time. Atleast you got to see how a bad team is coached.

11 Espy, Mike -- Only time will tell what he will do in the NFL. I am a HUGE fan and wish the best.

92 Evans, Demetric -- Back up DE. Nothing more, nothing less.

39 Fox, Vernon -- Young so.. hopefully he will be better than Arch.

4 Frost, Derrick -- Had his bad moments this year but, still worthy of a roster spot. I think he stays.

64 Golston, Kedric -- Made more plays than not this year. You can have a nice career in DC.

96 Griffin, Cornelius -- Tremendous run stuffer.... Then last year ended. I will give him a pass because this whole D sucked.

57 Holdman, Warrick -- Highway 57.

76 Jansen, Jon --Plays MUCH better with 2 broken thumbs. :doh:

32 Jimoh, Ade --Solid STer. We must keep him.

86 Kozlowski, Brian -- The best last name on this team.

85 Lloyd, Brandon -- Has attitude. Has desire to win. I like.

98 Marshall, Lemar -- HUGE drop off this year. Gets a pass.

52 McIntosh, Roger -- Oh where art thou?

69 Molinaro, Jim -- Ok depth. Nothing more.

94 Montgomery, Anthony -- a rookie who plays like a rookie with potential.

89 Moss, Santana-- God himself stays. a true Redskin who should have been a Redskins his whole career.

80 Patten, David -- Too many WR's. Bye bye.

58 Posey, Jeff --Meh.

62 Pucillo, Mike -- Decent O-Line depth.

61 Rabach, Casey -- Replaceable.

82 Randle El, Antwaan -- Dudes got skills. A true Redskin and playmaker.

22 Rogers, Carlos -- He is a CB. The **** still should learn how to catch.

29 Rumph, Mike -- Makes Kenny Wright look so bad.

95 Salave'a, Joe -- Run stuffer. He needs to be subbed in and out with someone who can pass rush.

60 Samuels, Chris -- Derrick Dockery is way better than you. Give the Skins their money back!

45 Sellers, Mike --Not used enough. Why? Because the Skins lack the brain power.

24 Springs, Shawn -- Oldie but, a goodie. We need him more than he needs us. We let him go and we are screwed.

6 Suisham, Shaun -- Nick/John who?

21 Taylor, Sean -- Trys to do too much. What do you expect when a tremendous player is stuck in a poor scheming defense?

77 Thomas, Randy -- Complete class.

83 Thrash, James -- STer who can make plays on Offense. I like.

23 Vincent, Troy -- We need him more than he needs us.

74 Wade, Todd -- *scratches head* :whoknows:

53 Washington, Marcus -- You get a pass. But, this is only because you are an emotional leader.

72 Whitley, Taylor -- I honestly have no clue.

25 Wright, Kenny --Mike Rumph is better than you. :laugh:

97 Wynn, Renaldo -- Far from young. I think he is gone.

87 Yoder, Todd -- A back up TE. Can't expect too much.

Practice Squad

79 Alexander, Lorenzo --PS material.

30 Broughton, Nehemiah -- Talent but, too much RB depth.

34 Eubanks, John -- Move him on up.

55 Gardent, Philippe -- See 79.

91 Green, Jamaal -- See 79.

12 Harris, Steven -- See 79.

59 McCune, Robert -- Seems to be a bust.

68 Steitz, Nick -- See 79.

78 Sykes, Joe -- See 79.

Injured Reserve

88 Fauria, Christian -- Arch like FA move. Wasted spot. Robert Royal is worth double Faurias money.

10 Hall, John -- You have been replaced.

79 Manupuna, Vaka -- If you make this team.. you will have the new best last name on this team. LOL

26 Portis, Clinton -- You should be proud of Betts. Get healthy fast.

20 Prioleau, Pierson -- Hurt this defense more than we realize. We needed him.

48 White, Jr., Manuel -- We shall see.

Coaching staff

Joe Gibbs Head Coach/Team President-- Pick one.. HC or TP?

Al Saunders Assoc. HC - Offense -- You better hope you get better next year.

Gregg Williams Asst. HC - Defense -- Voluntarily leave. You suck and are an arrogant prick. Get the **** out of DC and never look back.

Joe Bugel Asst. HC - Offense -- You WERE good.. and then 1992 ended.

Don Breaux Off. Coordinator -- I am sure Gibbs still needs a friend.

Jack Burns Offensive Assistant --Pointless. Go.

Rennie Simmons Tight Ends Coach -- Meh. You do well with Cooley.

Earnest Byner Running Backs Coach -- Must keep. We need him.

Stan Hixon Wide Receivers Coach -- All of that talent.. you don't even have to be a good coach to keep your job. Lucky bastige.

Bill Lazor Quarterbacks -- JC needs you more than you think. Dude has talent.. don't **** it up.

Coy Gibbs Quality Control - Off. -- Daddys boy doesn't need to be here. Too many chiefs not enough Indians.

Greg Blache Def. Coord./Def. Line -- Its either you or the players. Haven't figured it out yet.

Dale Lindsey Linebackers Coach -- Arrington hates you. Not sure why though. :silly:

Jerry Gray Secondary/Cornerbacks -- I would not want to have your job.

Steve Jackson Passing Game Coord./Safeties -- Don't need you. Get the **** out of DC with your boy Gregg.

Danny Smith Special Teams -- Solid coach. The best assistant on our staff.

Kirk Olivadotti Defensive Line/Special Teams -- What do you do that is different from Blache and Smith? Get out.

Bob Saunders Asst. Coach - Special Projects -- What special projects?

John Hastings Head Strength/Conditioning -- Hammys.

Bobby Crumpler Assistant Strength/Conditioning -- Hammys.

Tony Spinosa Assistant Strength/Conditioning -- Hammys.

I'm still in shock over the 1st & Goal at the 3 situation. We should have made the following announcement over the FedEx Field PA system:

"Dear Philadelphia Eagles: We are going to run the ball up the gut once, twice, three times, or four times in a row--whatever it takes to get into the endzone. Good luck trying to stop us."

And then we should have pounded it right down their friggin' throats.

I love how the same people who were whining about Duckett not getting carries in short yardage and goalline situations are the same ones who are now up in arms over Betts not getting the ball on the last drive when we got down inside the 5 and gave it to Duckett instead. And then you have people complaining that we're too predictable...run on 1st and 2nd and pass on 3rd. So, Saunders tries to avoid that trap and calls a play-action rollout on 2nd but he's still getting blasted on this board. Its not always about play-calling people, it has a lot more to do with execution in clutch situations. Not to mention the simple fact that Duckett is not suited for this offense, He looks like he's running with cinder blocks around his ankles when he tries to go off tackle.

I love how the same people who were whining about Duckett not getting carries in short yardage and goalline situations are the same ones who are now up in arms over Betts not getting the ball on the last drive when we got down inside the 5 and gave it to Duckett instead. And then you have people complaining that we're too predictable...run on 1st and 2nd and pass on 3rd. So, Saunders tries to avoid that trap and calls a play-action rollout on 2nd but he's still getting blasted on this board. Its not always about play-calling people, it has a lot more to do with execution in clutch situations. Not to mention the simple fact that Duckett is not suited for this offense, He looks like he's running with cinder blocks around his ankles when he tries to go off tackle.

I couldn't care less if it was Duckett or Betts in there at that point. But once we got the first down at the three, we should have pounded the rock until the Eagles begged for mercy. Hell, it could have been Sellers for all I care. I wish we were MORE predictable in that situation. We should have announced our intentions over the PA system at FedEx.

The thing is, when you're RB is having a career day you give it to him.

it was a joke that we were down by 18 and cut the lead to 2, it was a joke that besides a few plays here and there its a new ballgame...its a joke that the D gave up 14 points...its a joke that 7 of those came from a short field, its a joke that campbell bounced back from a bad first half, its a joke that we found ARE could catch the ball, its a joke that betts had a **** of a day...its a joke that you guys forgot we were playing for next year, get some perspective people.

Agree

I am very positive about 2007...more than this year

I thought we played pretty good today. Yeah, the loss sucks but our offense is showing great improvement and the D played decent too. You take away the tipped pick 6 and the first terrible pick and we smash the eagles. Stop f$^@ whining we werent gonna take it to the playoffs anyway. Gibbs has us doing a little better every week open your eyes, next year is gonna be a lot better...negative babies

We would've won despite the turnovers had the playcalling been somewhat smart.....

Or Maybe

We would have won despite the playcalling....Without the TURNOVERS?

The play calling wasn't good enough to win.....

And neither was the QB

Team Sport

JCs next game better have him learn this lesson.....Ya Know

The one Mark Brunell KNOWS.....

Run...stop the Run....and NO TURNOVERS

1st and goal on the 3.

1 running play, failed pass, penalty then failed gadget play.

Terrible.

Mike Sellers is under-utilized in these situations. He can carry 4 guys for 3 yards. Dispense with the crap, give it to Sellers.....he'll get you 3 yards.

What I liked: Good running game , tried (and even some success) downfield. If that had been Brunell-no INTs but instead, 2 yard pass, 2 yard pass, -6 yard pass, punt. But he might have set another NFL record :applause:

What I didnt like: INTs, even though one was a tipped ball Cooley should have either caught or knocked down (not that it was a good pass, Cooley just needs to make it so it isnt INT). And the "D" couldnt stop them when it mattered. They didnt play as bad as we've seen them, but they could have done better. Carlos "Hands of Stone" Rogers needs to learn how to catch a ball. I believe one of the LBs (Washington?) also had a shot at an INT. The plays are there friends, they just need to make them.

Overall it was a respectable performance, especially considering Campbell is still new. I hope no one was expecting a miracle with Campbell thrust in to the middle of a failing team. Sure the O-line has done better as of late with the run game, but they still suck at pass protection. The defense still stinks, the offense can only do so much, the "D" has to show up to play in order to chalk up wins.

So whats on the plate for next year? Lets hope Gibbs, Saunders and Williams go NO WHERE! At least now there will be some continuity. You switch these guys now and next year will easily repeat, or be worse, than this year. They need to ACCURATELY idenitfy whats wrong, whats right and how to fix things. Personally I think the offense needs a couple guys on the O-Line..and thats it.

The defense needs CBs and a new D-line who can get pressure alone, without every safety and CB helping out.

This year has been terrible and trying. But looking at some of the other teams that did well last year who are also faultering this year, makes me feel a bit better...we arent alone in our misery. Next season is a new season, and itll be pretty damn hard to have it worse than this one.

Archived