Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game has passed Gibbs By...

GARY_CLARK84

Uno Boss...I have to admit it...your post is dead on...nothing but facts...I have posted several times that Gibbs has set this franchise back at minimal of 5 years by bringing in Brunell and Campbell which costs us several draft picks...Ramsey would have been fine...and you my friend covered all of the other misgivings in your post.

Slow it down, tough guy. Yes, "I think so". Joe Gibbs is by definition an offensive minded Head Coach. That's where his strengths are. That's what he's known for, he's run offenses his whole life (before D.C.), he's never RUN a defense. Now, he longer even does that. The 1st sign. He has admitted to having virtually no contact with his defenses. Greg Williams has complete control over that unit.

One could ask now what does he do? Decide what to do on 4th down a couple of times a game? What else?

His offenses have been bad for most of the time since he's come back. 2004 - terrible. 2005 - stetches of good, stretches of bad.

One could argue EASILY that Greg Williams' defense won that game and played close to Seattle in the other DESPITE the RECORD-BREAKING TERRIBLE performance from Gibbs' offense in Jan '06.

I dont think that's the point here, at all. The point is about a past legend. From decades ago. I'm not sure there's not a coach anywhere else that couldn't be 4-8 with this team.

listen to yourself. You're contradicting yourself. I dont need to present a case to the Jury - your own words would be this poster's case.

you've GOT to be kidding me. I dont even know why I'm taking this is a step futher - but ok....then who's ultimate fault is that?

And how does that compare to Gibb's teams in the past?

And yet nothing in your attempt to break down my argument relates at all to just how the game has passed Gibbs by.

The game passing a coach by, by its very definition, is that his coaching style, game planning, and the plays he utilizes are antiquated and stale.

Nothing in your post even begins to address that. Is Gibbs running the wishbone? Is he utilizing the run & shoot? I don't see the offense running an antiquated system (nor did they last year). Last year's problems revolved solely around a QB who rarely, if ever, saw the whole field and targeted one primary receiver.

Yes I did say that the breakdowns by the players are ultimately Gibbs' fault; however, that has nothing to do with the game passing Gibbs by. Does the fact that Norv Turner has absolutely no discipline on his football teams mean that the game has passed him by? Of course not, what I referred to is the lack of production of the players and mental errors which create breakdowns. That has absolutely nothing to do with the game passing someone by.

Where or where in your post, or the original post, does anyone talk about or give factual support to the idea that the game has passed Gibbs by? All you talk about is what is what kind of decisions is Gibbs making and his hands off approach to the defense.

Many other coaching situations previously and currently deal with one side of the ball. How often do you think Buddy Ryan was over "tweaking" the offense, or Marvin Lewis today? Ever see Bill Walsh "coaching up" Keena Turner or Ronnie Lott? Gibbs' hands off approach with the defense has nothing to do with the game passing him by.

Try to keep this one on the high road and support your accusations with facts that are readily identifiable prior to "taking it to the jury". :2cents:

Look, this is REALLY unfair. REALLY REALLY unfair. 5-11 to 6-10 (where several games were flat-out robbed from us by bad officiating), 6-10 to 10-6 (where we won a playoff game). We have ONE bad year where a lot of things changed, and the one constant was Gibbs. Naturally, blame Gibbs! I seriously want to punch my computer screen when I see crap like this. It's utter crap, childish, and unexcusable. ONE year without improvement. ONE!!!!

Just wait until next year. I GUARANTEE we will be the best we've been since Gibbs's return. You have no idea how good of a coach he is, and you have no idea how bad we would be without him.

I disagree.

We ran the ball solid all day yesterday. People are saying that we should have continued to pound the ball. But what do we always here EVERYONE saying when it comes to an effective offense? BALANCE. A good run/pass ratio. Its not Gibbs fault or Saunders fault that our players couldnt execute when they called something other than a run.Quote]

After 12 games who's fault is it?????? And as far as being the first year in this offense, HOW do you explain the Saints and Jets players catching on to their first-year offense? Better coaches, smarter players? AS isn't running 700 pages of plays. These guys have had enough excuses. It IS time to blame the coaches or the players. Take your pick.

You know what...I wouldn't say the game has passed him by but I would say hes not quite on top of it like he used to be. Plus you have to think back to when he was brought back to our team, pretty much everyone said he wouldn't do well due to all the changes in the NFL since he last coached...I really wonder now in reflection of what everyone said when he came back. -Wes-

Shouldnt be that hard. We got first year coaches outcoaching this hall of famer we call Gibbs. :doh:
I'll bet that if Gibbs had gone to the Falcons, they would be unstoppable right now. So many variables are thrown at the coach that he has no say in. So many situations happen that he can't control. Gibbs showed what he can do as a coach last year. He redeemed himself. Give him a longer leash than this crap. UTTER CRAP!

Sean Payton (who I predicted in this very forum to have a good year) was able to get Drew Brees. Therefore, he looks like a genius since they have shown vast improvement. The funny thing is, the Saints weren't THAT bad last year... it's incredibly hard to play away games, and they had quite a disadvantage. Not only this, but Payton gets THE BEST player in the draft by a long shot. Right off the bat, he gets two playmakers at weak positions. Throw in some luck, and he looks like a genius. I PREDICTED A GOOD YEAR FOR THEM! It's not all coaching. A lot of it is luck.

Did you say the same thing last season when he took the Skins to the playoffs? Just wondering my friend. The game has not passed him by he is dealt a bad hand again maybe we expected too much. Perhaps this team just wasn't as good as we thought.

If the game didn't pass him by, then why did he turn over the play calling duties to Saunders?

I agree. EVENTUALLY we will not be able to ride a bike, even though we have had the ability for decades. Go ask the average 85yr old to get on a bike.

EVENTUALLY we are NOT the same person we were in the past. Ask an althzimers (sp) about that.

EVENTUALLY it's time for a younger man to take over, ask any 40yr old (ex) football player. I am not saying a coach cannot be WELL over 40, so dont go there.

He has, apparenly, delegated all duties to others and he just kibitz's on things.

I appreciate all he has done for the team in the past. MANY great memories for me during his first tenure. It's kinda like watching Frasier trying to come back in boxing. He w a s an exceptional boxer, now he's just ok. /shrugs

Guest Rafterman
Its truly amazing how far people will go to ignore how bad of a job has been done with our Football team the last 3 years.....

First of all everyone still brings up the ' Front Office ' in conversations about the Redskins.

Hello out there people....

Every since 2004 there has been no such thing as a front office....The place where Dan Snyder an Vinny works is now called accounts payable....

Gibbs knew about snyders reputation with power tripping in the past

so there was a stipulation where gibbs basicly said " I will come back if I

have total control ".....and snyder clearly said yes...

Now.....

This was 2004.....3 football years ago....

That means every since then the structure is....

Yes Man #1 and Check Cutter- Dan Snyder

Yes man # 2 - Vinny Cerrato...

Head Coach ( Commander In Chief)- Joe Gibbs

GM (a.k.a. Human Resources) - Joe Gibbs

Offensive coordinator(a.k.a Shot Caller)- Joe Gibbs

That means that any problem this team has had with personel,offense, decision making was all gibbs.....

Its crazy how people lie to themselves to protect their feelings for him....

I respect Gibbs to the utmost for what he did in the " past "........

But as of Right now here is what the GM ,Head Coach and OC has done since 2004.....

General Manager

Brought in Mark Brunell when we had a peferctly fine young QB to try and build with in Patrick Ramsey and draft picks available to get a new one if needed....

Let Smoot leave and Drafted Rogers

Traded away numerous Draft Picks

Passed on People like Shawn Merriman and others who are now Studs..

Let star players we actually drafted and developed from a top 5 defense walk out of the door..

Overpaid on numerous FA's

Traded 2 draft picks for a QB that didnt get to play at all even in garbage time for 2 years so he gained no experience...

Traded away 2 more picks for a Rookie LB who has yet to touch the field even though he plays behind the Guy from the movie Rudy...

Signed J Hall and remained loyal to him even though he never stayed Healthy

Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator

Operated the 2nd worse offense in the league in 2004

2005 Offense that had career seasons out of some players but still struggled and only scored 2 TD's in the playoffs....

Mismanaged games in crucial situations 3 straight year despite having the luxury of extra coaches for offense, replay...etc

Below is the main thing that does it for me

Failed to establish any kind of winning attitude...

If you take away the 5 straight wins at the end of last year

( Might I add that 4 of those wins came against non playoff teams)

This team under Gibbs II has only won back to back games twice in 3 seasons... 46 games total thus far....

Yet our loosing streaks look like this

2004..... 2 seperate Loosing streaks

4 straight( 2 of them @ Home)

3 straight

2005..... 2 seperate Loosing streaks

2 straight

3 straight (2 of them @ home )

Playoffs 2005-2006.....2 seperate loosing streaks

3 straight

3 straight

Now I kindly ask anyone to tell me what they consider all of this

If this is not underachieving and being a step behind todays NFL.....

Then what is?

I think Gibbs could get better as a GM with time because Rogers and campbell may work out...Golston Looks Good as well

But even with the best players in the world you have to get the best out of them....

I think him as a Coach is just done....Its time for him to give it up and bow out gracefully.....And maybe just stay on as team president....

Sad but, true.

All of it.

People simply refuse to hold him accountable for this fiasco, Kool-Aid drinkers all.

Blah Blah Blah

All you armchair GM's need to quiet down.

You rely on hindsight to make your arguements.

You have no original thoughts, you just wait for a mistake and then say "I told you so"

The law of averages say that everyone gets something right sometimes, so that makes you a bonified football gm ? lol

I've said it before and I'll say it again. None of you guys could ever coach a NFL team.

If you could, you would be doing it instead of being here making sweeping general statements about the poor coaching based on nothing but hindsight.

Wanna be coach. Go apply for the job.

:applause:

Bravo brother.....Bravo.

Let him finish his contract. I refuse to believe that this man can no longer win football games. Its Joe Gibbs guys!! JOE GIBBS!!! Stop. Just stop with its past him by. He/they screwed up this year. They thought explosive receivers is what was missing and if you recall we were unbelievable defensively for the last two years. We had Moss, Taylor Jacobs and Thrash last year. I agreed that we needed recievers! He looked at the defense and said "Lavar doesn't play, his backup plays better, he is undisciplined, chronically injured and now becoming a distraction." He was right. He looked at Ryan Clarke like we all did and said "there's a problem" and signed Adam Archuleta. Sure we all know what he is now, but how bout when they made that deal? Same for Andre Carter. He thought we needed some more pass rush. He was right. He picked the wrong guys. He thought he was close too. Cmon, do you remember beating dallas at the end of last year when that game meant the world to them? Do you remember beating the crap out of the giants right after that? Our defense crushing Tampa at their place? He thought what we all thought. He made mistakes. No doubt about it. He made mistake. Probably the biggest one being changing the offensive scheme and adding another ego to the coaching staff but ya know what overall he did the things I would have wanted him to try to do at the end of last season. He will be unstoppable this off season because one thing i know has NOT passed Joe by is his desire to win. He HATES this. Trust me. He HATES this. And he will be figuring out what went wrong and HE WILL fix it. Have faith guys. Again, for those of you over 30, ITS JOE GIBBS!!! HAIL!

.....Just wait until next year. I GUARANTEE we will be the best we've been since Gibbs's return. You have no idea how good of a coach he is, and you have no idea how bad we would be without him.

I am so there

I really feel good about next year....and its not about HOPE

Its about knowing that when GIBBS took over things would get better

There are setbacks, always

But

We have coming up;

a first round draft pick

a good draft

2 easier games

The one year Saunders funk over

1/2 year of Campbell taking snaps

The Best WR in the league

The Best RB corp in the league

An Owner willing to spend $$$

And

A Hall of Fame Coach that said he will stay (barring an act of God) until the ships on course........Gibbs is a man of his word.

I love the Skins

and I love the fact that we will be in the 4th year of the 5 year plan!

HTTR

It hurts to say this..but the game has passed him by....we had super weak schedule when we made the run last year..beating the Cards,Rams, the giants and eagles were both injuried teams, and Cowboys. It was Smoke n Mirrors.
You have to be a Falcons fan. The real Gary Clark would never have said what you just said. If you are a Redskins fan, i'm really sorry you feel this way because I don't.Gibbs will straighten things out. Please have faith in him my friend.

I don't think some of the new coaches are feeling that REDSKINS FEVER yet,,,, and some may never get it , so we need to weed out all of these people out in order to get back to smash mouth football REDSKIN style it's the only way. Hell there a fans that could tell you what play the team should run to score

Stop expecting so much from this team. After many many years of Off-Season champs and a dissapointing season year after year, I learned that you cant have so much high expectations from the Redskins. Our time will come....hopefully.....eventually, We will know in less than 2 years if the game has pass Gibbs by

The game "HAS" passed Gibbs by.

Now don't go saying something like that. People will start accusing you of being a Giants fan again. :)

:silly:

:helmet:

Joe has another two years on his contract. If the team comes out and shows the type of effort and complete disorganization that they show this year, I will say so but until then, it's only the 3rd year of a 5 year deal and there's time left to right this ship. I do think that he needs to get a qualified GM in there pronto.

Archived