Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game has passed Gibbs By...

GARY_CLARK84

Can you point to one thing that makes you belive that the Game has passed Gibbs by? No, I didn't think so.

Slow it down, tough guy. Yes, "I think so". Joe Gibbs is by definition an offensive minded Head Coach. That's where his strengths are. That's what he's known for, he's run offenses his whole life (before D.C.), he's never RUN a defense. Now, he longer even does that. The 1st sign. He has admitted to having virtually no contact with his defenses. Greg Williams has complete control over that unit.

One could ask now what does he do? Decide what to do on 4th down a couple of times a game? What else?

His offenses have been bad for most of the time since he's come back. 2004 - terrible. 2005 - stetches of good, stretches of bad.

Then won a playoff game ON THE ROAD................

Made a hell of a showing in a divisional playoff game 2,300 MILES FROM HOME on a short week.

One could argue EASILY that Greg Williams' defense won that game and played close to Seattle in the other DESPITE the RECORD-BREAKING TERRIBLE performance from Gibbs' offense in Jan '06.

LISTEN UP FOLKS............. Where would you rather be. Hiring another college coach after Spurriers third straight .500 or losing season.

I dont think that's the point here, at all. The point is about a past legend. From decades ago. I'm not sure there's not a coach anywhere else that couldn't be 4-8 with this team.

GET OFF GIBBS' CASE. He is doing the best he can with what he is dealt. The defense has let this team down this year and the offense has not produced up to its capabilities. Ultimately, this is Gibbs' fault;

listen to yourself. You're contradicting yourself. I dont need to present a case to the Jury - your own words would be this poster's case.

The team is suffering from breakdowns at critical times, both offensively and defensively.

you've GOT to be kidding me. I dont even know why I'm taking this is a step futher - but ok....then who's ultimate fault is that?

And how does that compare to Gibb's teams in the past?

Did you watch the game yesterday? The first quarter was Joe Gibbs football! Power running and throwing off of play-action, that is where Coach Gibbs teams have always excelled. Yes he could be a lot harder on the players that haven't gotten it done this year, but that doesn't mean the game has passed him by. He could've ran a lot harder of a training camp this year, but that doesn't mean the game has passed him by. I will never doubt this man, because he's a winner. In everything he's ever done he's been a winner. It may take another season, it may take two, but he will get this team back to prominence, because he's a winner!

No way the game has passed Gibbs by! Why would he bring Saunders in if he thought it wouldnt work? The man came out and said he brought Saunders in because he thought the team needed a fresh pair of eyes from someone that has been around since he has been away. I dont agree with Saunders play calling but that is why he is there and I am not. But I think he atleast deserves a shot at it. Besides Gibbs WILL get this team turned around one way or another.Give it some time and if the Saunders offense dont work out next year then I say he needs to be let go

The game is so different now, mostly because of the salary cap and what it has done to most of the good players. Now, it's all about the money. Not many play for the love of the game anymore.

Even the owners seemed to have changeg right along with the players. It's become a big business, and a game for the rich and famous. Everyone is so greedy now, and the average fan can not afford to take his family to see a game.

Sad but true.

The game has not passed Gibbs by. The problem is that Gibbs gave up all his coaching duties. Saunders runs the offense and Williams runs the defense. Gibbs just walks around and helps sign overrated guys to ridiculous amounts of money.

And he's laughing all the way to the bank. Who wouldn't for 5 million per year win or lose? Winning may have past him by, but he was smart enough to get back in on the action. He's right where he wants to be, and this time he isn't putting in as many hours as before. It's really a win, win situation for Mr. Gibbs.

Guest sith lord
The game has not passed Gibbs by. The problem is that Gibbs gave up all his coaching duties. Saunders runs the offense and Williams runs the defense. Gibbs just walks around and helps sign overrated guys to ridiculous amounts of money.

If the game didn't pass him by, then why did he turn over the play calling duties to Saunders?

The Coach hired a defensive coordinator in Greg Williams that had this defense going great the first two years. Then he added an offensive coordinator to bring up the offense. These two are highly paid and should be able to "fire up" the team to be ready to play. It is time for Al Saunders to start riding the offense and the o-line coaches to do their part, man up and be physical at the point of attack. Coach knew that bringing in a new offense wasn't going to get us a Superbowl this season. He has, after all, been there four times with 3 Superbowl wins. He is preparing this ORGANIZATION for the future. They have miserably let him down. Now he is taking charge where the others weren't and letting them all know what this organization sees as acceptable and what isn't. Maybe it took this long because Coach wanted his assistants to step up and didn't want to jump in just yet. He is hoping to groom GW or Al Saunders to take his place. Stability, trust and productivity. But his hand has been forced and now the organization will pay attention. From the coaches all the way to the water boy. I have been a fan of this team since '72. Whenever it was called for the Coach gave the players, or whoever needed it, a swift kick usually followed by a big pat on the back when they came around to doing their job. Coach sets out to do well in any and all ventures he deals in. Now is the time for GW and Al Saunders to step up and earn their right-of-way into this organization. We know what each is capable of and we know what these players are capable of. This season is all but over, but, what is left is salvagable and Coach knows it. Now it is time for the rest of the organization to BELIEVE it. Next season is looking better already.

And he's laughing all the way to the bank. Who wouldn't for 5 million per year win or lose? Winning may have past him by, but he was smart enough to get back in on the action. He's right where he wants to be, and this time he isn't putting in as many hours as before. It's really a win, win situation for Mr. Gibbs.

I promise you hes not doing much laughing. And the man was already plenty wealthy when he took over. Its not about the money.

It hurts to say this..but the game has passed him by....we had super weak schedule when we made the run last year..beating the Cards,Rams, the giants and eagles were both injuried teams, and Cowboys. It was Smoke n Mirrors.

You are right, the 5 game winning streak was smoke and mirros. We were never a playoff quality team.

Most people use that 5 game winning streak and the playoff birth as an excuse for Gibbs this year.

Gibbs 2.0 is failure and too many fans are fooled by that flukish finish last year.

Yup

Year 4 of the 5 Year Plan coming up;

Better Draft Picks (and a #1!)

Easier Schedule (for 2 games)

Healthy Portis/Springs/Moss/ect.....

Post 1 Year Saunders Offense Funk

Campbell 1/2 a season of seasoning

And Gibbs promised to stay until the ship is on course:applause:

HTTR!

What little future the skins had has been mortgaged away by squandering away draft picks and poor cap management. Years 4 and 5 will look just like this year except with older, overpaid players:laugh:

By all means please stop comparing Gibbs to Parcells (not you specifically...). True, Gibbs has more Superbowl Victories, but he does not know how to build a team, he is not a good personnel guy. He needs a General Manager. His decision making this second go around is certainly questionable. Why would he revamp an offense that was good enough to get them to the second round of the playoffs last year? Maybe the offense required some "tweaking". But a new coordinator? Parcells will win another Superbowl before his tenure in Dallas is thru, thus silencing any conversations comparing him to Joe Gibbs...

As a Cowboys fan I pray that 4 things never change:

1. That Danny Boy never sells the team; Because as long as he owns it, he's the GM...

2. that the skins don't change there approach to the draft, which is to avoid it.

3. That Gibbs remains the coach...Cause he's lost it. This talk of Gibbs needing to "get back to his brand of football"....Why would a HOF coach not continue to dance with the date that brung him? Why would a guy who was once known as a "control freak" rely so heavily on his assistants now? Because he has lost his ability to command a football team....If he were coach in any other town, his wife would be talking to REMAX by now. Joe Gibbs 2.0 is spending the inheritance created by Joe Gibbs 1.0...

4. And lastly, that the skins keep believing that they can build a team thru free agency. That is like drinking Salt water to quench your thirst...

You guys are playing for draft position now...And the funny part about it is you have given most of your picks away....

Lastly, I would say that Greg Williams "the defensive genius" has shown he is anything but...Any coordinator/organization that can release quality players like Champ Bailey, Fred Smoot and Antonio Pierce is too blinded by their own ego to realize that the genius lies in the players and the scheme...not just the scheme...which is ranked near the bottom this year..And before someone makes the mistake of saying something idiotic like, "look at the players New England has let go, and they are still competitive..." Two things, the skins are not New England, and you are not competitive....:silly:

Gibbs was seen late in the game trying to signal Campbell to call time out...there was none...then he was seen telling Campbell to spike the ball...it was 4th down..gentlemen...what is wrong with this picture?

What's wrong with this picture? Where do you want to start? Coach laid out the ground work for the play calling 2 weeks ago when he informed Al Saunders and the team that we needed to get back to REDSKINS football. That is the "bust 'em in the mouth football" this team used to be known for. He is infuriated by the playcalling in the second half against Atlanta. How plain does he have to make it that we are going to run first? I know Al Saunders is as excited as a kid in a candy store to have a QB that has the abilities that JC has, but he has to bide his time and go with the coaches orders. Coach is frustrated that he still has to maintain control of this team when he has two highly paid assistant head coaches that should be figuring this out. But neither one seems to want to take the reigns. He has the remainder of this season and 2 more years to "Right this ship." He will do that by whatever means necessary. Yes, he is very irate but he doesn't wear his heart on his sleeve. The emotions will not show until he gets the players and coaches in the locker room. Anyone that remembers his first stint as coach of this team knows that. No, this game hasn't passed him by, he just needs the people that are under him to start utilizing their brains and abilities to do the job.

we had super weak schedule when we made the run last year..beating the Cards,Rams, the giants and eagles were both injuried teams, and Cowboys. It was Smoke n Mirrors.

Last year, we had the 2nd hardest schedule in the NFL, and by far the hardest schedule of the playoff teams, who mostly had the easiest schedules.

Are you seriously saying that our schedule was "super weak" last year?

Blah Blah Blah

All you armchair GM's need to quiet down.

You rely on hindsight to make your arguements.

You have no original thoughts, you just wait for a mistake and then say "I told you so"

The law of averages say that everyone gets something right sometimes, so that makes you a bonified football gm ? lol

I've said it before and I'll say it again. None of you guys could ever coach a NFL team.

If you could, you would be doing it instead of being here making sweeping general statements about the poor coaching based on nothing but hindsight.

Wanna be coach. Go apply for the job.

Its truly amazing how far people will go to ignore how bad of a job has been done with our Football team the last 3 years.....

First of all everyone still brings up the ' Front Office ' in conversations about the Redskins.

Hello out there people....

Every since 2004 there has been no such thing as a front office....The place where Dan Snyder an Vinny works is now called accounts payable....

Gibbs knew about snyders reputation with power tripping in the past

so there was a stipulation where gibbs basicly said " I will come back if I

have total control ".....and snyder clearly said yes...

Now.....

This was 2004.....3 football years ago....

That means every since then the structure is....

Yes Man #1 and Check Cutter- Dan Snyder

Yes man # 2 - Vinny Cerrato...

Head Coach ( Commander In Chief)- Joe Gibbs

GM (a.k.a. Human Resources) - Joe Gibbs

Offensive coordinator(a.k.a Shot Caller)- Joe Gibbs

That means that any problem this team has had with personel,offense, decision making was all gibbs.....

Its crazy how people lie to themselves to protect their feelings for him....

I respect Gibbs to the utmost for what he did in the " past "........

But as of Right now here is what the GM ,Head Coach and OC has done since 2004.....

General Manager

Brought in Mark Brunell when we had a peferctly fine young QB to try and build with in Patrick Ramsey and draft picks available to get a new one if needed....

Let Smoot leave and Drafted Rogers

Traded away numerous Draft Picks

Passed on People like Shawn Merriman and others who are now Studs..

Let star players we actually drafted and developed from a top 5 defense walk out of the door..

Overpaid on numerous FA's

Traded 2 draft picks for a QB that didnt get to play at all even in garbage time for 2 years so he gained no experience...

Traded away 2 more picks for a Rookie LB who has yet to touch the field even though he plays behind the Guy from the movie Rudy...

Signed J Hall and remained loyal to him even though he never stayed Healthy

Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator

Operated the 2nd worse offense in the league in 2004

2005 Offense that had career seasons out of some players but still struggled and only scored 2 TD's in the playoffs....

Mismanaged games in crucial situations 3 straight year despite having the luxury of extra coaches for offense, replay...etc

Below is the main thing that does it for me

Failed to establish any kind of winning attitude...

If you take away the 5 straight wins at the end of last year

( Might I add that 4 of those wins came against non playoff teams)

This team under Gibbs II has only won back to back games twice in 3 seasons... 46 games total thus far....

Yet our loosing streaks look like this

2004..... 2 seperate Loosing streaks

4 straight( 2 of them @ Home)

3 straight

2005..... 2 seperate Loosing streaks

2 straight

3 straight (2 of them @ home )

Playoffs 2005-2006.....2 seperate loosing streaks

3 straight

3 straight

Now I kindly ask anyone to tell me what they consider all of this

If this is not underachieving and being a step behind todays NFL.....

Then what is?

I think Gibbs could get better as a GM with time because Rogers and campbell may work out...Golston Looks Good as well

But even with the best players in the world you have to get the best out of them....

I think him as a Coach is just done....Its time for him to give it up and bow out gracefully.....And maybe just stay on as team president....

Archived