Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Conservatism = 21st Century racism?

ChiefBigMeat

Republicans are now almost completely reliant on the South. If you look at the Red State/Blue State map, the lower portion is solid red.

For almost 100 years after the Civil War, the South was the solid Dem base (Anti-Lincoln party)

Now, the opposite is true - so when and what was the tipping point?

It was the '50s and '60s when the Democratic Party became the party associated with Civil Rights. The most obvious example of this is Strom Thurmond - a segregationist democrat who switched over to the Republican Party during this era.

With this, there has been a concerted (and successful) effort by the Republicans to exploit the South by perpetrating the myth that the Dem agenda is to "take the money out of your pocket and give it to someone who isn't white"

Hence, modern Conservatism seems to have taken its "Value System" from Reconstruction-era resentment.

The "moral value" of the "Let the lazy people starve. If you don't have what you want, you just need to work harder," ideal seems to play directly to the stereotype that African Americans are inherently lazy.

Therefore the same hate that was once directed by skin color still exists, only it is expressed in different ways.

Modern "Conservatism" values are completely based on deep-seated racist resentment.

Of course, NO ONE would ever admit to this, defending themselves by saying "I just believe people need to earn everything they get - no free handouts" ...

I've never heard any politician actually support the "Free handout initiative" - it's just not true.

So, why do so many conservatives feel this is the case?

Republicans preying on deep-seated racial-inspired attitudes. Modern Conservatism is therefore completely based on racism, which is gradually declining. Bottom line: "Conservatism" as we know it will be unrecognizable to its own followers in 30 more years or so (Just my best guess)

Republicans are now almost completely reliant on the South. If you look at the Red State/Blue State map, the lower portion is solid red.

For almost 100 years after the Civil War, the South was the solid Dem base (Anti-Lincoln party)

Now, the opposite is true - so when and what was the tipping point?

Well to throw out a sterotype:

North=educated

South=Less educated

I think the democrats knew that the equal rights would lose the South for at least a generation, I can't remember if it was Johnson who said it, but I do remember the quote.

I don't think the conservative party is racist at all, but they do play the card silently. . .for example, the Ford add that got the coverage in Tenn. I think instead it is a party build on hate. Their platform is about hating people, not about understanding. Whether it is the gay people, the Muslims or the (insert any minority population), they breed on peoples fears of what they are not familiar with. Unfortunately it worked for a long long time.

you know there is no exceptions to paint brush mass speculation, where do you get off bringing up facts :silly:

I'm sorry, what I meant to say was:

kill whitey! the republican party is just a front for the KKK!!! people in the south are only white, only republican, and only racist!!!

It's so simple now :doh:

Isnt West Virginia both one of the poorest states in America and one of the whitest in population?

I wouldnt want anyone in West Virginia who is on welfare getting handouts of my money because they are mostly white, not black. The same principle of "you dont deserve **** you didnt earn" applies to different races. You dont see conservatives jumping at the chance to give social welfare to whites either because it isnt race based.

Oh and no politicians talk about giving away your money? What about the democrat presidential hopeful Hilary Clinton and her socialized health care? Welfare? Those are two big parts of her campaign and ideals and they are programs that will give my money to other people who didnt earn it.

I've got a couple comments to make real quick on this topic....

Conservatism in its true form is not about racism or any form of hatred. It's about individuality. It's about personal responsibility and limiting the government's influence on the daily lives of the citizenry. It's also about the idea that people have the right to make as much or as little out of their lives as they choose to.

Unfortunately the word "Conservative" has become a synonym for "Republican", which is in no way a true correlation, in either direction. Not all Conservatives are Republicans and DEFINITELY not all Republicans are Conservatives. In fact, I'd say the majority of Republicans are Moderate-to-Liberal in their actual actions and philosophies at this point.

I will agree with the previous poster who indicated their belief that Conservatism is going extinct. I would bet there are no more than 150-250 TRUE Conservatives left in the United States and probably no more than 500 World-Wide at this point in time.

Whether it is the gay people, the Muslims or the (insert any minority population), they breed on peoples fears of what they are not familiar with. Unfortunately it worked for a long long time.
Its apparent that Democrats do the same thing. They breed on people's fears of Republicans as painted by Democrats. Our government is like an apple barrel full of Red and Golden apples with a few green ones thrown in. Unfortunately rot has spoiled most of the apples regardless of variety or color.:2cents:

Robert Byrd was a member of the KKK over 60 years ago, when as an eager young lad he thought it would give him a leg up in West Virginia politics. He quit in the 1940s.

For some reason, partisan Republicans think that it is a super clever and cutting point to bring up Byrd's membership in the KKK, as though it somehow undermines not only him, but all Democrats' committment to racial equality. It is a classic "change the subject" argument, like bringing up Ted Kennedy and Chappaquiddick every time any Democrat speaks on an issue of woman's rights.

It's pretty pathetic, but true partisans find it both amusing and compelling every time they repeat it.

Oh and no politicians talk about giving away your money? What about the democrat presidential hopeful Hilary Clinton and her socialized health care? Welfare? Those are two big parts of her campaign and ideals and they are programs that will give my money to other people who didnt earn it.

This is a genuine question for you. How is "welfare" a big part of Hillary Clinton's campaign? Just curious where you got that from.

"For some reason, partisan Republicans think that it is a super clever and cutting point to bring up Byrd's membership in the KKK, as though it somehow undermines not only him, but all Democrats' committment to racial equality. It is a classic "change the subject" argument, like bringing up Ted Kennedy and Chappaquiddick every time any Democrat speaks on an issue of woman's rights. "

Who brought up relic southern politicians (Strom Thurmond)first?

This is a genuine question for you. How is "welfare" a big part of Hillary Clinton's campaign? Just curious where you got that from.

http://www.ontheissues.org/Celeb/Hillary_Clinton_Welfare_+_Poverty.htm

http://www.issues2000.org/Senate/Hillary_Clinton.htm

I wasnt saying welfare is a big push in the campaign. I said campaign and ideals. Socialized healthcare is her push in campaigning and always has been, welfare is one of her bigger underlying ideals.

Robert Byrd was a member of the KKK over 60 years ago, when as an eager young lad he thought it would give him a leg up in West Virginia politics. He quit in the 1940s.

For some reason, partisan Republicans think that it is a super clever and cutting point to bring up Byrd's membership in the KKK, as though it somehow undermines not only him, but all Democrats' committment to racial equality. It is a classic "change the subject" argument, like bringing up Ted Kennedy and Chappaquiddick every time any Democrat speaks on an issue of woman's rights.

It's pretty pathetic, but true partisans find it both amusing and compelling every time they repeat it.

I will stop bring him up as soon as partisan democrats stop starting threads to discuss how the republican party is racist, or someone can tell me how many current republican congressman are ex-klansman. Given the topic of this thread, I feel that it is perfectly reasonable to bring up Sen. Byrd and his past allegiances.

Archived