Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Righty QB, Less sacks/ Pressure (Samuels)

SkinsGlory

I don't think a thread has been started about this topic, sorry if it has.

I was thinking about the small number of sacks that JC has taken so far in his two games and I wonder if it has to do with Samuels guarding his backside rather than a banged up (out of shape?) Jansen. Then again, are the Redskins going more max protect?

Anyhow, I'm just glad that Samuels can be put in a spot to earn his keep as a prototypical LT.

Brunell wasn't sacked very much, either...

Only cause he ran away from the pocket to throw the ball to the sidelines, If he had stood in the pocket to deliver some throws over the middle, he would've been raped. Jason can shed tackles. Nothing against, Brunell, he just doesn't have that ability anymore.

I don't think a thread has been started about this topic, sorry if it has.

I was thinking about the small number of sacks that JC has taken so far in his two games and I wonder if it has to do with Samuels guarding his backside rather than a banged up (out of shape?) Jansen. Then again, are the Redskins going more max protect?

Anyhow, I'm just glad that Samuels can be put in a spot to earn his keep as a prototypical LT.

Samuels has done his share of sucking this year.. Not sure where your getting at..

Brunell wasn't sacked very much, either...

That's true. I was surprised when I found out how few sacks have been given up in general. I guess the point I was trying to make is that I'm happy going into the future games with Samuels backing up Jason's backside rather than Jansen at this point.

It also doesn't hurt that JC is strong, steps up in the pocket, and can run a bit.

O-Lines usually protect the Right handed quarterbacks better because of their assignments and because there are alot more right handed qb's then left handed qb's. Jansen could not protect the blind side that well because it wasn't something he was used to.

It does benefit to have Campbell in there because when Jansen gets abused, he can see it happening and adjust. Say what you want about Samuels but Jansen makes an inconsistent Samuels look like a first ballot hall of famer. Jansen is flat out terrible this season, he needs to get back in the weight room. Hopefully we mask him some more with Pucillo in the coming weeks.

I think if you changed the word "righty" in the title to "mobile", the thread could then be complete.

No, my original point was that I felt better with Samuels covering JC's backside. That, and how JC can watch Jansen getting owned will help. Can't do that unless he is a -righty-.

I agree here. Jansen has gotten beat on a much more consistent basis than Samuels has. Samuels seems to get beat by certain players from time to time, but there are games where he is simply dominant. I think it has helped a lot, but what's more is Jasons ability to bounce/slide off of tackles. I think that is the biggest thing Brunell lacked and Jason has. Once Brunell got hit it was pretty much over this year. The same aint true for Jason. Last year Brunell was a lot better at bouncing off and escaping pressure. I guess that injury against the Giants last year really did wear him down.

Neither has been sacked too much, but the pressure has been insane.

I've been mentioning this for so long here. Everyone used to throw the sack stat out there when trying to prove how much Brunell sucks and how the Oline is playing fine. It really was because Brunell knew the play was dead and the Oline has broken down on a blitz and threw the ball away quickly or checked down. Granted, Jason does seem to not give up on the play as easily as Brunell did but I'm seeing the Oline playing much much better these last two games. They're protecting Jason well, and it seems like he hasn't gotten that much pressure.

The Redskins are 3rd best in sacks allowed and 9th in yards per rush and people are complaining about the offensive line?

They gave up six sacks in Dallas. Other than that, the pass protection has been solid, even great on occassion. They've a couple games where they had a low yards per carry, but are still doing a good job there.

The problems lie elsewhere.

This one is simple. Brunell would throw the damn ball anywhere to avoid the sack, instead of using his legs to buy time. JC has the ability to move, yes move which gives him more time for a reciever to get open. As a rookie, JC has proved his is beyond his age in experience. JC has shown it was a mistake to start the old, banged up veteran who lost almost everygame he started in. How anyone could have supported this broken excuse for a quarterback is beyond me. It took two miracle plays to win 2 of the 3 games he won. Had those not occured he would have been 1-8 for the season before being benched. This was the biggest disappointment in the team as far as I am concerned. The head coach not recognizing the change being needed sooner than it happened.

Archived