Extremeskins

Defense 101

chipwhich

Just wanted to post a new thread as a way to comment on multiple

threads where posters continuously slam certain players. Lets

call this Defense 101.

If you look at a defense you can essentially break it down into

three layers. Defensive lineman, Linebackers, Secondary. In

a functional defense these layers perform different functions.

I will oversimplify to make my point.

On running plays, the defensive line is intended to occupy the

opposing offensive lineman and be the first line of defense against

a runner going for positive yards. If this line does it’s job, the

Runner will be clogged and allow the linebackers and secondary

to come up in run support.

On passing plays, the defensive line is intended to get pressure

on the quarterback so that the linebackers and secondary aren’t

left to cover receivers for too long a period of time.

On passing plays if the d-line gets no pressure, the corners and

linebackers are more likely to give up long passing plays. This is because

the reciever has the advantage with lots of time to run.

On running plays if the d-line doesn’t man up on the opposing blockers

And clog the runner, the running back builds up speed gets past that

layer and is tougher to tackle. If the d-line continuously allows

the runner to get past there “layer” then the secondary starts to

cheat and play closer up for run support. Once they cheat, the opposing

offense then has more opportunity to pass.

So why am I posting this? It’s OBVIOUS our d-line fails on both things

they need to make a defense successful. I am amazed at the number

of posters who say “Should we draft a corner with our first pick?” “Carlos

Rogers sucks”, “Bench Warrick Holdman”, etc, etc. Not saying they

are having great years but if our defensive line can’t do their job, everyone

else will play poorly. If our defensive line doesn't do their job

and tackle tiki barber, then Warrick Holdman has a better chance of

wiffing on the tackle. If the quarterback has all day to throw

then then Carlos is left on his island for longer.

The Redskins continually skip over drafting a defensive

lineman high, and until we do so, blitzes and stunts will only

take us so far.

Stop the madness, I want no more corners or linebackers drafted.

Give me a stud on the d-lineman any day.

Thoughts?

11. Please do not use the “Quote” feature to quote huge blocks of text or pictures.

If you would like to respond to the contents of a particular post, simply quote the sentence or idea that you're commenting upon, not necessarily the entire post. It wastes space on the database and unnecessarily extends and clutters threads.

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

:cheers:

finally someone understands what i've been saying for the last while

Good post. I like how you simplified it and it got me thinking you are right about a d-lineman as opposed to a corner in the first rd.

Although it still depends on where we pick but if our lineman isn't there we should trade down to get a corner and extra picks, probably.

great post.

if this alleged explosion by gibbs is going to be followed up, the coaching staff (both sides of the ball) needs to bring in 20 guys and tell them that regardless of salary or reputation, 9 of them have starting jobs week 1. the rest will be working at 711.

tgijef

Excellent post, Chipwhich! :applause:

In addition to your astute observations, might I add that GW is 'scheming' way-too-much, IMHO! :doh:

Too many 'stunts', 'games', and other 'exotic' 'B.S.'!?! :doh: :mad: :(

Our Defense needs to simply "line-up and 'man-up' in primarily 'Base Defense' - with 'timely' Blitzes, Stunts, Games, etc."! :applause: :cheers: :2cents:

Also: FIRE Steve Jackson & Dale Lindsey - NOW!!! :applause:

Also: The Offensive Line is BUILT for 'Smash-Mouth' Football -- NOT 'Finess' Football!?! :doh:

We need a 'Hit-You-in-the-Mouth, Physical, Down-Hill' Rushing Attack (i.e.: 'Joe Gibbs' Football)... in conjuction with the 'Big-Play, Play-Action', 'Quick-Strike' Passing Attack (i.e.: 'Al Saunders' Football)!!! :cheers:

We also need an 'Attacking, Hard-Hitting, Gang-Tackling, Nasty, Rough-Housing, In-Yo'-Grill, Hit-You-in-the-Mouth, Ball-Hawking, Run-Stuffing, QuarterBack-Sacking, Man-Handling, Shut-Down' Defense (i.e.: 'The National Defense')!!! :cheers:

I agree with placing the emphasis on the lines for the most part. People are already clammoring for us to sign Briggs, which is a total indictment of this fanbase. He's playing great behind the best D line in the league, but who knows how he would do behind our line?

It starts in the trenches folks.

Its good to see someone not bashing poor Carlos Rogers. I wish I had the stats in front of me but I bet there are players out there with more sacks then our entire defense. It pains me everytime I see a quarterback drop back 3 steps and hold on to the ball all day. Here's to hoping we pick up some linemen in the draft :cheers:

Cheer and HTTR

Good post, people think CR is crap, hes having a bad year because we have no pash rush, if the WR has time run is route and the QB has time to step up and pass then yes he will make even the best CB in the NFL look bad, thats whats happening ( not that CR is the best).

Good post, people think CR is crap, hes having a bad year because we have no pash rush, if the WR has time run is route and the QB has time to step up and pass then yes he will make even the best CB in the NFL look bad, thats whats happening ( not that CR is the best).

At this point I don't think we can give an honest evaluation of CR, not until we at least have a lineman who could get to the QB.

:2cents:

Its good to see someone not bashing poor Carlos Rogers. I wish I had the stats in front of me but I bet there are players out there with more sacks then our entire defense. It pains me everytime I see a quarterback drop back 3 steps and hold on to the ball all day. Here's to hoping we pick up some linemen in the draft :cheers:

Cheer and HTTR

We could pick up some linemen (plural) in the draft, if we had some picks.

As it stands, we've got one first day pick :puke:

Good post. I like how you simplified it and it got me thinking you are right about a d-lineman as opposed to a corner in the first rd.

Although it still depends on where we pick but if our lineman isn't there we should trade down to get a corner and extra picks, probably.

NO WE NEED D-LINE!!!

I should include Adam Archuletta's play, Taylors play in this list as well.

They have not had great years. I won't blame Taylors on missing Ryan Clark. They are d-line casualties as well.

I think this is a fact a lot of people are over looking. AA and Taylor are BOTH not playing well. It doesn't mean AA sucks, but that the secondary as a whole is not working together and getting the help and support it needs from the line AND coaches.

Brilliant!!!

3 layers...D-line, LB's and secondary...Brilliant!!!

I am smarter for reading this thread Brilliant!!!

Need a DC position?:doh:

Glad you're so intelligent :doh:

The point of my post is because of all the people posting to draft a corner, aa sucks, carlos sucks, holdman sucks, etc etc.

For you, go back to you fantasy posts on russ grimm coming here. :doh:

Good post, You pretty much some up my feelings.

The problem is I just don't know who we get who's out there to fix our D line problems. I think Golston is a keeper! I didn't like the way he kept laying on the field when he got his first start but hopefully he learns to suck it up. The guy is a mountian and has a chance at being very good.

I'm wondering if it wasn't a mistake in not getting W Sapp when he was avaliable. I know he is on the downside of his carrer but there isn't anyone in the league since him who has been as dominating.

I think we are really only one DT and one DE away from being a good D again. I'm just not sure who them 2 might be or if we can afford anyone after the FA's we acquired last year.

I have said in the past we may be years away from having a good D but a good DE and DT would be the quickest fix imo.

I would love to agree with the point that everything starts with the front four. I have been dying for a 1st round stud of a defenisve end (Merriman and Ware were both available when we got Rogers). Hell, I still want one :laugh:.

However, I don't think you can rightfully say that's a main reason our secondary's getting burned and our linebackers can't tackle the running back. The first two years of Gregg Williams tenure here is proof. Our defensive line is the most consistent "layer" among the defense. Griffin, Wynn, Daniels, and Salave'a have been here since the beginning of William's rule over the defense (Wynn got replaced by Carter as the starter, but that's supposed to be an upgrade?). None of them are good at rushing the passer though I think they're pretty decent at stopping the run (with the exception of this year). Naturally, we've had injuries (especially at the defensive line) but we haven't lost any of our DL (like we did Smoot and Pierce).

Things you can't blame the D Line on?

-Carlos Rogers has had many chances at making interceptions but dropped them (the ball literally hit his damn hands).

-Missed tackles.. linebackers, safeties, you name it

-Our offense going 3 and out, giving the opposing team good field position

-Blitzing isn't working (Archuletta often got engulfed by the OL)

-The secondary biting on the play-action

Don't get me wrong, I really want us to draft a DE with our first rounder but I won't get my hopes up. When was the last time we drafted one in the first round? ;)

Archived